question

douglane avatar image
douglane asked

Current Limiting with Smart BMS 12/200

I am researching a Lithium install using the Smart BMS 12/200. The documentation states that, "the input current is electronically limited to approximately 90% of the fuse rating". How is this accomplished? It almost implies that it somehow senses the fuse rating, but I can't see how that's possible.

There seems to be zero documentation on the configuration options available via bluetooth, so I can't figure out if that setting is in the app.

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The resistance of the fuse is measured. The lower the resistance of the fuse, the higher its current rating will be.
The current flowing through the fuse will be known, so the Voltage drop over it can also be measured and then the resistance can be calculated. Given that this product accepts the Littelfuse MEGA range of fuses, the resistances for different ratings across the range will be reasonably predictable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

douglane avatar image douglane commented ·

Thank you for that answer. That gives me some peace of mind to know how it works, as I am planning to use my existing alternator which will need to be current limited to avoid the alternator burning itself up.

As an aside, do you know if it is possible to configure the current limiting even lower than the 90% of fuse rating manually via Victron Connect?

0 Likes 0 ·
douglane avatar image
douglane answered ·

For what it's worth, during my installation, the Smart BMS 12/200 did not detect the fuse. There is a menu option to set the correct fuse manually via Victron Connect, which is what I did.

2 |3000

philiplyra avatar image
philiplyra answered ·

On my sailing boat I have installed Smart BMS 12/200 with 330Ah Smart Battery. Works fine.

My alternator regulator has a sense wire, and I found out it has to be connected to the "input" of the fuse and not to the battery directly. If you connect it to the battery, the Alternator will continue to deliver high current and Voltage (voltage drop 2V between input and battery) which results in BMS switching of due to overheating.

To your second question, I think the answer is no. The limit is determined by the fuse. Although my alternator (installed on VolvoPenta) can deliver 115A, I decided to be conservative and used the 80Amp fuse.

Hope this helps

2 |3000

max-b avatar image
max-b answered ·

Hello,

Bumping this subject, because I'd like to have an authorised answer to that question "can we limit the alternator current flow by setting a lower fuse value from the BMS menu than the physical fuse ?". The manual says that the menu should reflect the physical. What happens if it is lower in the menu.

What I don't understand is, since the BMS can sense the intensity (from Kirby's answer), changing the fuse rating is only a simple way to set up the Amp limit, but I should be possible to set it from the menu too.

When I ordered the BMS I had information that our alternator was 120A so standard fuse was ok. Now it turns out that the alternator is weaker than expected, and until I can have a 60 or 80 A fuse, I'd be interested to set the limit from the menu.

2 comments
2 |3000

douglane avatar image douglane commented ·

I have a sneaking suspicion that the only function setting the fuse value has is to calculate the charge current on the Victron Connect App. When I set mine to the lowest value, it didn't change or limit the current, it just changed the percentage. It would be great to get an official answer from Victron!

1713351838311.png

1 Like 1 ·
1713351838311.png (77.3 KiB)
max-b avatar image max-b douglane commented ·
That is a valuable guess, thank you. Since I didn't try charging from alternator yet, I had not noticed that percentage change.
0 Likes 0 ·