starter battery Image

starter battery

Multiplus 12/800/35 to trickle charge Lead Acid starter battery.

Is it ok to use the 1A trickle charge output of the Multiplus to charge a lead acid starter battery when the main batteries house batteries are Lifepo4?

sweyn asked
sweyn commented ·

0 Answers

Show Starter Battery Voltage on GX Touch

Hello,

we have a Cerbo GX with GX Touch 50 installed on our boat and are desperately looking for a setting to display the voltage of the starter battery. We have a Smart Shunt 500 in the system and can only display the voltage of the starter battery via Bluetooth. Is there also a way to display the voltage in the system overview on the Touch 50?

savannah asked
maika answered ·

6 Answers

Argo which terminal for Alternator sense?

Hi, I've installed Argo FET split charger to charge my starter and 2 (separate) LFP banks. The Balmar MC614 Regulator states to place the Alternator voltage sense wire onto the largest bank if using a split charger, so in my case that would be the 400ah LFP bank.

Just a little concerned that this will potentially expose my starter to too much current and force it into a high voltage state.

I did think that using the MC614 Batt temp sensor on the starter battery might help. Other option would be to place the sense wire onto the starter battery, but then would that not prevent the LFP banks from charging?

Hope someone with a better understanding of this can help.

Thanks,

Michael

stocksy asked
jwfrary answered ·

3 Answers

24v Multiplus: Trickle Charing a 12v Starter Battery for Generator?

I have a RV with a 24v Multiplus 3000. This is used in combination with my MPPT charger to charge my 24v house batteries.

I have a generator that uses a 12v starter battery that I would like to trickle charge using the built in Trickle charge connection on the Multiplus:

[image]

The install/user guides do not provide any information other than the Trickle charger provides 4A of current. I've measured the voltage coming out of it when I attached my Starter battery and observed current ranging from 13.5v 4A to 16v .5A.

Q1: What is the nominal voltage provided by this connection? 12v 24v?

Q2: Is there any "smart charging" provided by this trickle connection? Or is it supposed to provide a "dumb" flat charge/voltage?

Q3: If this is a 24v connection, what would you suggest for charging my 12v starter battery (there is NO alternator in my system)?

Please share your solutions! I'd love to hear what you figured out.

Cheers!

-Mike

mikebuoy asked
kevgermany commented ·

5 Answers

With the Victron Energy EasySolar 24V 3000W 70-50A Inverter Charger can I switch between 2 separate battery banks?

We are upgrading our battery bank, but rather than just not using the existing ‘old’ batteries at all there would be an issue with keeping the existing batteries as a sort of "spare" battery bank - basically having a switch between the two battery banks- and if the new battery bank was getting too low we could manually switch to the other bank and utilise that- switching between them also to charge.

our system:
We have a Victron Energy EasySolar 24V 3000W 70-50A Inverter Charger (purchased 2017). We also have A Smart BMV-712 HQ1801TW9VZ. The system has 2x 100Ah 12V iVOLTA Lithium batteries connected in series, and 2000W of solar panels

I don’t yet know the exact specifics of the new battery bank but we are looking to have at least 300Ah total.

Would it be possible to do what I am suggesting above with this system? My concern is if you would have to change all the settings on the Victron EasySolar each time you switched batteries and if this would be too labour intensive or confusing- I wouldn't want to make a mistake and mess up the system. If this is possible what other Victron products might I need to achieve this?

islarh asked
wildebus answered ·

2 Answers

MultiPlus Trickle Charging in combination with Orion Tr Smart

Hi,

we have a standard MultiPlus 24V installation with Lithium batteries (24V) in a truck camper (very similar to the Victron van install, but 24V). To charge while driving, we are using an Orion Tr Smart autodetecting if the engine is running. So far, everything works fine.

Now, I was wondering, if I can use the trickle charge output of the MultiPlus to charge the starter batteries during longer phases of not driving? We are using a cooling box in the drivers cab, that I can't directly connect to the house batteries...

- Is the trickle charge output a proper charger with settings for the starter battery type?

- Would the Orion Tr Smart detect trickle charging as an engine start, due to the increase in voltage? Am I creating a loop this way?

- What would be an alternative?

Thank's so much for you input!

kiko asked
henri-bergius answered ·

2 Answers

Comment raccorder chargeur Multiplus avec le positif batteries sur la coque du bateau

L'ancien propriétaire de mon bateau a relié la borne positif (+) des batteries de démarrage avec la coque. Est-ce que je peux connecter les sorties "Starter Battery" + et - de mon Multiplus 24/5000/120-100 sur ces batteries ? Le Multiplus est raccordé à la terre du quai et son châssis à la coque du bateau.

malabar asked
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

1 Answer

Victron Inverter/Charger start battery charging voltage.

The Multiplus and Quattro inverter charger data sheets show that they have a 4A connection for starter battery charging. The Multiplus II data sheet does not say that it has one but from some Googling I believe that it might have one.

I am designing a 24v domestic system with a 12v starter battery. What is the voltage of this 4A starter charging circuit on a 24v inverter/charger - 12v or 24v?

Can anyone confirm that the Multiplus II also has the starter battery charging connection despite it not being on the data sheet?

Thanks for any help.

vonasi asked
kevgermany edited ·

1 Answer

Starting a generator with Smart Lithium Batteries

I'm installing two Smart Lithium 12,8/200 amp hour batteries in parallel in my RV and would like to start the LP fueled generator with them. The generator datasheet shows 380 amps starting current. Referring to the battery datasheet, is the combined max continuous discharge rate of 800amps sufficient to accomplish this? Also, are there any additional safety devices, such as a current limiter that should be added to my installation?

David asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

How to charge a starter battery from leisure battery?

Goal : I want to use my vehicle's indoor lights and ventilation during the night (3A 12V).

Setup : I currently have an independant solar and battery setup (700W solar 160AH of usable LiFePO4 battery)

Proposed solution : I think I could use an Orion-TR 12/12-9 converter taking power from my leisure battery and use the cigarette lighter circuit to charge the starter battery (15A fuse so everything seem alright). (The vehicule manufacturer said it's ok to let the car at "on" for long periods if I charge the battery.)

- Will it work?

- If I start the engine and the alternator is working at the same time as the converter, will it cause problem? (alternator and converter in parallel, seems ok from the manual from the possibility of paralleling multiple converters)

- Have I other solutions?

Regards,

mathieu-dubuc asked
scraggs edited ·

2 Answers

Using SmartShunt 500A with starter battery on car

Forgive me for being a novice here, but I'm trying to find an easy to install, safe Amp and volt meter to monitor the battery on my car that has an intermittent draw. I need to have something permanently installed that will give me the voltage on the battery as well as the amp draw so I can see 1) if the draw is active so I can trace it, and 2) how long I have before the battery dies. The battery is under the passenger seat, so it is basically impossible to check this with a handheld meter without taking the seat out. Thus the advantage of the bluetooth permanent install here. Can the bluetooth SmartShunt be installed on the starter battery or just a house battery on an RV, or does it even make a difference? And, it looks like I can get all the data I need from this device, am I missing something? Any help would be very much appreciated.

ben-frobig asked
cameron-bennier edited ·

3 Answers

Right solution for monitoring dual Group 31 Truck Starting Heavy Duty Batteries?

I’ve got a problem with our truck batteries with a parasitic draw, maybe, as well as that it may not be being charged in all the ways I think it should (alternator, generator, solar and/or shoreline). I’m trying to find a monitoring (and possibly control switch) solution that would be able to handle the set of two diesel Group 31 batteries that are each almost 1200 cold cranking amps (https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/SLI31SA is the batteries we have right now).

I ask the question because I'm just not sure how the surge in power to start is different for these monitors vs. the ones for the house batteries that are for longer use, but with a far lower power burst.

Is there a VE product that would work as a battery monitor (hopefully Bluetooth) that can handle batteries of this type and size?

neilticktin asked
neilticktin edited ·

0 Answers

CYRIX-CT Battery Coupler - Charge Engine battery from Leisure batteries ?

Hi All,

I have two leisure batteries in my Camper Van which will are charged by the Solar MPPT Controller (and the Alternator when the engine is running). The Engine battery is not connected to the MPPT Controller, and can go flat if, unused during the winter.

What I want to ensure is - that the CYRIX-CT Battery Coupler can charge the Engine battery (from the Leisure Batteries) when the engine is switched off. Can the Cyrix do this ?

Many Thanks !

danny007 asked
pwfarnell answered ·

2 Answers

Victron Dual-Purpose Lithium Battery - Please :)

I wonder if Victron would consider developing a dual-purpose lithium battery?

Most lithium batteries of circa 75-125Ah are deep-cycle only, with limited peak discharge currents that prohibit their use for starting engines.

There are now some batteries on the the market with dual-purpose capability, and with CCA’s much higher than their lead acid counterparts.

Take for example the Antigravity AG-H7-80-RS, this 80Ah battery has a CCA of 2000 amps! It also has a feature they call ‘RE-START’. The BMS puts the battery to sleep when it’s reached a point of discharge, retaining enough in reserve to start your engine. The feature is activated by a remote fob, or a button on the battery. This could effectively eliminate the requirement for a separate start battery in some applications, removing the associated complexity.

There’s also a 100Ah battery from RELiON, which has a peak discharge current of 800A.

I would love to see a similar Victron product :)

machineage asked
machineage edited ·

2 Answers

MultiPlus-II: charge separate starter battery?

Can the MultiPlus-II charge a separate (different type) starter battery, or I should plug it into a separate trickle charger?

I noticed that the MultiPlus had a separate starter battery connection but it no longer seems to be there in the MultiPlus-II.

On a completely different topic (which I should make differently), I wonder if the MultiPlus-II can switch between charging the batteries when they are low and using them with the inverter when they are high. Would I need additional devices to control it to do that? (Cerbo GX and VE.Bus Smart dongle?)

trougnouf asked
trougnouf edited ·

1 Answer

51 Posts
44 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

There are currently no experts identified for this topic. Can you answer questions in this topic area? Community members who provide answers that are marked as correct earn reputation and may become recognized as topic experts.