starter battery Image

starter battery

Orion on alternator without starter battery

Hi everyone !
I am writing to you to know if some people have already connected an isolated Orion tr smart to a vehicle alternator without a starter battery? and if it worked and charged proprely?
I explain the vehicle contains 2 alternators, the second alternator was mounted specifically to take advantage of charging a large auxiliary lithium park (mechanical assembly + belt, no electrical wiring).
The excitation of the alternator is given by the starter battery.
I have a problem concerning the output voltage of the alternator which is 8.7V at no load (belt tightened everything is ok). The wiring is quite classical (+ and - input on + and - alternator). The negatives, alternator housing, are well connected to the truck chassis, R=1 ohm. Then I tried to connect to the input of the Orion and there my multimeter shows me 32 V DC (and the Victron application too)!
I wonder if the alternator has a defect because according to me the alternator is supposed to provide a stable voltage and therefore the Orion should work quite normally. I wanted to know if some people have already done this type of assembly with an isolated Orion on an alternator without starting battery and if it worked.
I would like to specify that this is not the first Orion I have installed.
Thank you all for your help.
Sorry for my english i'm not native.

mathiasotf asked

0 Answers

SmartShunt 500a Aux Starter low

I have the Aux port wired to my generator battery 12vdc starter battery and it was reading correctly. I ran an update and now the voltage is readin 4.5 V ish. The battery is still reading 12.6v at the smart shunt when I use my voltage meter and is fully charged. I assume the update might have cause it to reset something to an incorrect voltage setting but I can’t find anything. Both main and aux batteries are 12v and I verified wiring per diagram from other posts.

hayloftllc asked
derrick thomas answered ·

3 Answers

Cyrix-ct start assist with drained battery

Hello,

I have a boat with 1 Engine, 1 Starter battery and 1 auxiliary battery.

I would like to use the Cyrix-ct-230 to automatically charge the aux battery once the starter battery has been charged. With the added benefit of having a start assist switch from the aux battery in case the starter battery has been drained.

My question: How would the Cyrix react if I use start assist to combine a full aux battery with a completely drained (or dead) starter battery? Would the Cyrix refuse to connect? I'm concerned that the drained/dead starter battery would drain the aux battery.

kemp-arve asked

0 Answers

Correct trickle charging method for starter

Hi all - I am very confused about the above topic and was hoping for some input. I have a Citroen Relay 17 reg (which has a smart alternator) which I'm converting to a campervan. I don't use it everyday, and I've been suprised how quickly the starter battery runs down (the immobiliser in particular is apparently a thirsty one). I'm planning out my electrics, but keep reading conflicting info about the best way to keep the starter battery topped up. My starter battery is not a Victron, but the original battery and for economy sake I don't want to change it yet as it's fine.

One method is to not even link the starter battery to the rest of the camper at all, and just use an external trickle charger when needed, however to me this seems like a nuisance. Some people also seem to just disconnect the battery for longer spells and keep the van turned over otherwise, but this is apparently not the best for the battery (not sure how true this is - can only find anecdotal info).

If I design my system to trickle charge the leisure battery then I'm confused between whether I should do this fromthe victron dc-dc charger as I have been told it causes problems when using an MMPT solar charger and a multiplus (which i have already purchased - i have 2 solar panels). Others have said I can just use a cyrix while others a cyrix and a dc-dc charger.

Keeping the starter battery topped up is my priority - having the alternator charge the leisure batteries is just a bonus as I've probably overshot on my leisure battery capacity and my solar panels, and I will be mostly on site where i have shore power, so should never (in theory) need to rely on my alternator to give me a boost. But I want to eliminate the risk of my starter going flat, and reduce the maintenance needed when not inuse.

I'm really starting to tear my hair out on this one - really would appreciate some advice or links! Thanks all

Dylan Tucker asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

Charging vehicle battery from DC to DC charger with MMPT Smart Solar

Hi all - I have a Citroen Relay that I've started the conversion process on. One thing I'm noticing is how quickly these van batteries drain when not in use due to the immiboliser and other gadgetry. I was hoping to come up with a way to have the vehicle battery at least trickly charged so this problem was mitigated. I so far have 2 leisure agm's and have started to piece together the components for a system, with 2 solar panels, an MMPT charger and a multiplus (all victron). I was considering a DC-DC charger too, but have started reading that it can be hard to get that working with an MMPT charger but have little other info on that side of things. Is that true and are there solid workarounds? I'm less worried about needing more power for the leisure batteries as if anything have probably overshot, but I really do want some sort of way to keep the starter battery topped up while sitting on the drive.

Thanks so much

Dylan Tucker asked
Sarah answered ·

1 Answer

What's happened to my starter battery widget in VRM?

I've been monitoring starter battery voltage in VRM for many months but suddenly it's gone, both as a graph on its own and as part of a custom widget.

I think there was a mandatory firmware upgrade to the BMS this week when I Bluetoothed into it - could that have lost it??

markj asked
snoobler answered ·

2 Answers

Blue Smart IP67 short circuit protection and thruster motor

Hello,

I have bow thruster motor, which is 12V and ~500Amps and a dedicated lead acid battery for this bow thruster. I am going to use Blue smart IP67 12V/25A to charge this battery.

Is it safe and okay to leave blue smart connected to battery, when bow thruster is in use?

Or it is must to disconnect positive wire from battery, when motor is in use?

Blue smart states that it has short circuit protection, but does this protection is fast enough to disconnect charger from battery, when high power bow thruster motor is in use?

vilius-jakas asked

0 Answers

Trickle charger from leisure battery

Hello,

I am looking for a trickle charger to maintain my starter battery charged from my solar panel.

I wonder why Victron do not provide such product, like AMT12 https://www.ablemail.co.uk/content/amt12-2-trickle-charger-charges-vehicle-battery-leisure-battery-solar-charger-mains-hookup
It is really an issue for me and unfortunately, since brexit, I can't buy AMT12 from France...

@victron guys, do you plan to add suh product?

Thanks

anayrat asked
kevgermany commented ·

7 Answers

Multiplus 12/800/35 to trickle charge Lead Acid starter battery.

Is it ok to use the 1A trickle charge output of the Multiplus to charge a lead acid starter battery when the main batteries house batteries are Lifepo4?

sweyn asked
pwfarnell answered ·

1 Answer

Show Starter Battery Voltage on GX Touch

Hello,

we have a Cerbo GX with GX Touch 50 installed on our boat and are desperately looking for a setting to display the voltage of the starter battery. We have a Smart Shunt 500 in the system and can only display the voltage of the starter battery via Bluetooth. Is there also a way to display the voltage in the system overview on the Touch 50?

savannah asked
maika answered ·

6 Answers

Argo which terminal for Alternator sense?

Hi, I've installed Argo FET split charger to charge my starter and 2 (separate) LFP banks. The Balmar MC614 Regulator states to place the Alternator voltage sense wire onto the largest bank if using a split charger, so in my case that would be the 400ah LFP bank.

Just a little concerned that this will potentially expose my starter to too much current and force it into a high voltage state.

I did think that using the MC614 Batt temp sensor on the starter battery might help. Other option would be to place the sense wire onto the starter battery, but then would that not prevent the LFP banks from charging?

Hope someone with a better understanding of this can help.

Thanks,

Michael

stocksy asked
jwfrary answered ·

3 Answers

24v Multiplus: Trickle Charing a 12v Starter Battery for Generator?

I have a RV with a 24v Multiplus 3000. This is used in combination with my MPPT charger to charge my 24v house batteries.

I have a generator that uses a 12v starter battery that I would like to trickle charge using the built in Trickle charge connection on the Multiplus:

[image]

The install/user guides do not provide any information other than the Trickle charger provides 4A of current. I've measured the voltage coming out of it when I attached my Starter battery and observed current ranging from 13.5v 4A to 16v .5A.

Q1: What is the nominal voltage provided by this connection? 12v 24v?

Q2: Is there any "smart charging" provided by this trickle connection? Or is it supposed to provide a "dumb" flat charge/voltage?

Q3: If this is a 24v connection, what would you suggest for charging my 12v starter battery (there is NO alternator in my system)?

Please share your solutions! I'd love to hear what you figured out.

Cheers!

-Mike

mikebuoy asked
kevgermany commented ·

5 Answers

With the Victron Energy EasySolar 24V 3000W 70-50A Inverter Charger can I switch between 2 separate battery banks?

We are upgrading our battery bank, but rather than just not using the existing ‘old’ batteries at all there would be an issue with keeping the existing batteries as a sort of "spare" battery bank - basically having a switch between the two battery banks- and if the new battery bank was getting too low we could manually switch to the other bank and utilise that- switching between them also to charge.

our system:
We have a Victron Energy EasySolar 24V 3000W 70-50A Inverter Charger (purchased 2017). We also have A Smart BMV-712 HQ1801TW9VZ. The system has 2x 100Ah 12V iVOLTA Lithium batteries connected in series, and 2000W of solar panels

I don’t yet know the exact specifics of the new battery bank but we are looking to have at least 300Ah total.

Would it be possible to do what I am suggesting above with this system? My concern is if you would have to change all the settings on the Victron EasySolar each time you switched batteries and if this would be too labour intensive or confusing- I wouldn't want to make a mistake and mess up the system. If this is possible what other Victron products might I need to achieve this?

islarh asked
wildebus answered ·

2 Answers

MultiPlus Trickle Charging in combination with Orion Tr Smart

Hi,

we have a standard MultiPlus 24V installation with Lithium batteries (24V) in a truck camper (very similar to the Victron van install, but 24V). To charge while driving, we are using an Orion Tr Smart autodetecting if the engine is running. So far, everything works fine.

Now, I was wondering, if I can use the trickle charge output of the MultiPlus to charge the starter batteries during longer phases of not driving? We are using a cooling box in the drivers cab, that I can't directly connect to the house batteries...

- Is the trickle charge output a proper charger with settings for the starter battery type?

- Would the Orion Tr Smart detect trickle charging as an engine start, due to the increase in voltage? Am I creating a loop this way?

- What would be an alternative?

Thank's so much for you input!

kiko asked
henri-bergius answered ·

2 Answers

Comment raccorder chargeur Multiplus avec le positif batteries sur la coque du bateau

L'ancien propriétaire de mon bateau a relié la borne positif (+) des batteries de démarrage avec la coque. Est-ce que je peux connecter les sorties "Starter Battery" + et - de mon Multiplus 24/5000/120-100 sur ces batteries ? Le Multiplus est raccordé à la terre du quai et son châssis à la coque du bateau.

malabar asked
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

1 Answer

59 Posts
51 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

There are currently no experts identified for this topic. Can you answer questions in this topic area? Community members who provide answers that are marked as correct earn reputation and may become recognized as topic experts.