question

christopher-topilko avatar image
christopher-topilko asked

BMV-712 on starter battery

So I have just the stock 500A shunt, engine is a 24V and unloaded the starter spec is 300A - but may (under condutions) go over 500A - will the shunt be safe (just won't read that high)

SmartShuntstarter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

You will be fine.

Our 4 cell 300Ah LiFePOe battery has been both powering our motorhome and starting the 3.9l turbo diesel engine often multiple times a day for 10 years of fulltime travel.

The 500A Victron SmartShunt and series installed 400A rated Junctek shunts still look like new.

Photo of the peak current involved.

canter-peak-start-current.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

christopher-topilko avatar image
christopher-topilko answered ·

Cool - ya went and installed it yesterday - its peeking at 375 even has the intake heater and air bags kick on. Its always parked indoors and pluged in but guessing maybe in winter I expect it to crank and bit harder.

Are the 1000A and 2000A stunt options for installs where they have invertors constantly drawing to the size.

1 comment
2 |3000

cardy01 avatar image cardy01 commented ·

@Christopher

Just out of interest what information do you get from the shunt on the starter?

I'd be interested in a screenshot of how it shows up in VRM if you are connected?

Rob

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources