Lithium battery Smart Image

Lithium battery Smart

This topic has been merged into Lithium Battery . Please use Lithium Battery when editing or creating new content.

Smart BMS CL not charging

We have the same issue with multiple Smart BMS CL: They are not letting significant charge to the Lithium batteries even though the alternator is running at high speeds.
Screenshot attached - we have a 100A alternator, engine running at 2000rpm, the device shows 5% load and no significant current flows towards the battery. We had the same / similar issues on multiple boats and caravans.

[image]

Any idea what the reason could be? It can not really be linked to the batteries - we have tried bridging the M8 connectors with a BMS cable, still the same behavior..

mik asked
james-ward answered ·

1 Answer

Victron ESS battery compatibility Pylontech US5000(B)

Hello, I've found some threads regarding compatibility of the Pylontech US5000 battery (not the UP) with the Victron ESS system but a lot of them seem to be mixing up the UP and the US version.

The exact battery type (US5000 or US5000B, see https://en.pylontech.com.cn/pro_detail.aspx?id=134&cid=23 ) is currently not listed on the battery compatibility list of Victron (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom)

At this point, I'm assuming it's compatible, but I'd prefer a formal confirmation of this.

Even better: would it be possible to update the documentation page with compatible battery types? During certification of the electrical system by a notified body, some inspectors are pretty specific about the compatibility, certified by the vendor of the ESS, between a BMS and the ESS system.

At this point, I don't have the documentation (or certificates) ready to back this up.

axl1988 asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

3 Answers

Has anyone found how to disable "Repeated absorption" with Blue Smart IP22 12 | 30 chargers with Lithium batteries?

I have Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries. They do not require repeated absorption. In fact, unnecessary absorption it is detrimental to all LiFePO4 batteries. Reabsorption is a lead-acid battery requirement to prevent sulfation.

I tried setting repeated absorption to "0" days, and the setting reverted to "1" day. Then I tried "999" days and found the setting reverts to "45" days. Victron forces 45 days as the maximum setting. I could set the absorption voltage to some low value, but then I would have to reconfigure the charger every time I actually wanted to charge to a higher SOC.

Repeated absorption should be set to "disabled" in the "Li-ion" factory profile (caveat: that factory profile is set at 7 days!). This looks to me to be a software oversight.

Suggestion to other users: to prevent these chargers from cooking your lithium batteries, set the tail current (disabled in the profile) to 7.5 amps (the maximum) so the charger at least diminishes the overcharging damage by terminating charging quickly (provided there are no parasite loads) of an already-fully-charged battery.

cpt-pat asked
cpt-pat answered ·

4 Answers

Battery size for MultiPlus II 12/3000/120-32

I would like to confirm my thoughts on battery size for the MultiPlus II 12/3000/120-32

I am new to Victron and the Victron community. I will be doing a full Victron GX setup for a Van with Lynx Smart BMS 500, Cerbo GX, Lynx Distributor, DC to DC Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30A and SmartSolar MPPT 100/20. With 460 Watts solar on the roof. DC to DC as the main re charge source, solar as the top up, and shore power only as a backup if needed.

I chose to go Victron and the eye watering price of Victron batteries and eco system as I wanted an off grid van system that would "look after itself". Be able to hook up Victron batteries in parallel knowing zero issues with the whole multiple batteries and BMS shutdowns etc. Finally a 3Kva rather than 2Kva so was not running the inverter to its capacity every time a large draw was used, toaster, induction and the ability when needed to run 2 large loads, like short use of roof air con (inverter air con) while being able to cook etc.

My question: I would love be able to grab a couple of 200Ah Victron Smart batteries for a 400Ah system, a 3rd battery later for 600Ah.

But looking at the max current draw on the 200Ah Victron smart battery, MAX does say 400Ah BUT recommended max says < 200ah. ( 200Ah x 12V = 2,400 Watts)

This means with the 3,000 watt Multiplus II max performance of 3,000watts, the recommended max battery draw is a good 600 Watts below inverter capacity. If we were using the system to its full capacity of 3,000 watts thats a 250 Amp draw on the batteries. Within max battery draw but above the recommended 200Ah draw.

If we were running the roof air con Dometic IBIS 4 ( for short periods on low) by itself its a max draw of 1,600 watts, 600-900 watts on low, and why I was looking at a 3Kva inverter rather than the 2Kva. Didn't want to be in the scenario where your limited to one big draw appliance and no capacity left.

Therefore I though that to allow full use of the MultiPlus II, I have no choice but to use the Victron 300Ah or 300Ah - leaning to the 330Ah as its 20kg lighter and smaller in size.

Am I being too OCD going with the 330Ah battery ? or would 2 or 3 200Ah be fine with the view that up to 2,400 Watts inverter power would be within the 80% normal usage and 2,400 - 3,000 watts (250 Amp draw which is 50 amps above battery recommenced but within the max 400Ah ) would be a 20% use case for a few hours at a time occasionally.

russell-brown asked
simeyfour answered ·

2 Answers

Orion Tr Smart 12/12-30a isolated starts absorption charging too soon

On my yacht i have just fitted an Orion Smart 12/12-30 isolated B2B charger charging a new 150AH lithium battery with a built in BMS for my Domestic power. This is fed by a new 100Ah AGM start battery supplied by a regular 100 Amp alternator. The problem I have is that the Orion charger enters Absoprtion charge too soon (3-5amps) with the Lithium battery at about 55% when it should still be in bulk mode. I have ensured that the charge voltages are as per specification for the battery (14.4v charge, 13.8v float), the charger is close to the start and domestic batteries (50cm) and the cabling is oversized 6mm2 I also have a new Victron Smart Solar 20 amp charger that is connected to the same battery which is in bulk (engine off) mode while the Orion was in Absorption mode. I also have a new victron 30amp 240v mains charger which was bulk charging 20-30amps I would like the Orion to Bulk charge to at least 80%, is the smart solar confusing the Orion? can yo help?

jason-t asked
jason-t commented ·

1 Answer

Cerbo/Venus GX - Set maximum charge level, e.g. 90 % SOC

Hello together,

my config is:
- 3x Multiplus 5000
- 3x MPPT 250/100
- Cerbo GX
- BYD LVL 15.4
- 45 x Sunrise Energy SR-M660340HL -> 15,3 kWp

- In plan: Fronius Symo on AC-Out

Here is my question:
I would like to limit the maximum charge level. For example, to 90% SOC. I can not find this setting in cerbo gx. Is it possible that this setting does not exist at all? Why? Many other manufacturers have this option. I think this would be a good option to save the battery in the summer. Since peaks occur here from time to time. And the battery is loaded beyond its limit. Especially if you plan to add another inverter. Even if this adheres to the 1.0 rule. Here it would be better if the battery still had reserves. And from time to time, the battery could charge to 100% to balance the cells.

Are there any efforts on the part of Victron Energy here?

Thanks for help.

greetings from germany
from an enthusiastic Victron user
Schaka

schaka asked
nickdb commented ·

3 Answers

MultiPlus II Absorption

I have a backup system consisting of:

• MultiPlus II 48/5000/70-50
  • Cerbo GX
  • BSL Battery (B-LFP48-135E) - connected to GX

System is up and running.

My experience is limited, but I have a concern - the MultiPlus stays on "Absorption" even though the battery is charged to 100%. Been like this for several days now. Is this normal? To confirm, grid is on and load is less than 1KVA.

Also seeing the Inverter LED on the MultiPlus come on from time to time.

I'll try to upload video soon.

solarsimon asked
solarsimon edited ·

2 Answers

Battery cell voltages

[image]

Hello,

I have a multiplus II 5000/48 , fronius primo 4 , BYD LVS premium 4Kwhr battery and 6 Q-cells panels (580kw/panel).

Is the difference in maximum and minimum cell voltage (during day only) healthy?

khaled asked
Alexandra commented ·

4 Answers

Consumed Ah trending down over weeks

A few months ago I swapped out my AGM batteries for LiFePO4, and set the initial battery settings to those recommended by the manufacturer and Victron. After a couple weeks, I left on a trip that got extended for a couple months. My rig was parked in the sun, with minimal loads, so the solar was hitting float quickly every day. But checking VRM, I noticed a trend where the Ah consumed (and therefore SOC calculations) were trending down never showing a full recharge.

[image]

My assumption is that this is an issue with calibration and SmartShunt settings, because the low voltage was not also trending down - never dropping below ~13.28V daily.

[image]

Would the community agree this is a SmartShunt settings "issue," and if so, which values would you recommend I try adjusting?

[image]

Thank you for any suggestions!

Follow up question for bonus points... :) What do most people do with LiFePO4 batteries when leaving for some time, while small loads will still need to access the power? I assume I'll hear some people concerned about keeping these batteries so close to 100% all the time?

Eric M. asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

BYD Overvoltage MPPT shutdown

Hi all

Strange occurrence, GX alarm battery Overvoltage at 55.1V with BYD batteries.

8kVA

RS 450/100 MPPT, tracker 1: 5 x Longi 450Watt (231V) tracker 2: 8 x Longi 450Watt (381V) It's within minimum spec for Float V of 52.5V

BYD comms working on GX (BYD shutsdown if comms aren't working)

BYD is supposed to control both MPPT and inverter for charging, but I set up charge tab to 54bulk and 52.5 float in any case. Battery monitor is on, at 400Ah, 98% and 0.99 efficiency.

What seems to be happening is that when generator is on, AC2 input, and the battery reaches 100%, the voltage climbs beyond 54V over to 55.2 is highest I saw with incessant alarms.

Switching off gen input seems to stop the problem, but no AC mains was available to test during this phenomenon, and solar yield had dropped too low to test with it.

MPPT shutdown on overvoltage, error #29.

What I don't understand is why BYD didn't control the situation as it is supposed to......

Talfan Stamps asked
Alexandra answered ·

3 Answers

Battery erroneously discharging

I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this issue. I have 2x 48v batteries that both have overkill solar BMSes installed. I'm currently pulling in 4.3kw of solar and using 1.2kw of ac load. The inverter is the only draw on the system. One of the batteries is charging at about 1.4kw, but the other one is showing a discharge of about 400w.

Do any of you have any idea why this would be?

Thanks.

[image]

[image]

dancing-skeptic asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

Lithium and Lynx Smart BMS - Strange V behaviour

Hi All

New system -

• 4x Smart Lithium 330Ah
  • Paralleled to Lynx Distributor
  • Connected to Lynx Smart BMS
  • With Lynx Distributor on loads side of BMS
  • Multiplus II connected to Distributor
  • Cerbo GX and Touch 70 powered off Smart BMS Aux
  • No other loads or charging sources attached
  • Brand new system - being commissioned

Batteries fully charged and balanced - multiple times. When the batteries are charging and discharging - I am seeing a strange behaviour in the voltage - which I wouldn't expect.

Discharging -

I would expect the V to drop quickly between 100% to 95% SOC and then remain fairly constant under a stable load until about 30% SOC - and then drop off quickly. I have only taken the batteries down to 50% SOC - but I am seeing the V drop, when under constant load to early -

• with a constant load of about 5A the V sits at about 13.29v until 68% SOC
  • at 68% SOC the V starts to drop
  • it stops dropping at about 62% SOC and the settles at 13.13v
  • its then stays at this same V all the way to 50% SOC (I have not gone deeper yet)

Charging -

I see the opposite happening - the V rises quick between 62% and 68% SOC.

[image]

My previous system (3x 200Ah Lithium and VE.Bus BMS) - never had this behaviour.

Am I worrying about nothing ?

Thanks all, Tim.

miya asked
miya commented ·

1 Answer

3,2 fach Regel für Akku / Installierter PV AC Leistung

Hallo zusammen,
ich plane die Erweiterung meiner 9kWp Fronius Anlage um 3xMultiplus mit 48V LI-Batterie zu Notstromfähigem System.
Jetzt bin ich über die 3,2 fach Regel gestoßen was meine Pläne i8n frage stellt. Ich will und brauche doch keinen 30kWh Speicher.
Als Erklärung finde ich, dass der Akku bei Netzausfall entsprechend groß sein muss um Leistung der PV aufzunehmen.
Im Sommer wäre ja der Akku quasi immer voll (durchschnittlicher Verbrauch pro Nacht 3kWh, dann ist Akku morgens um 9e schon wieder voll) und könnte somit ja auch nichts aufnehmen.

Hat jemand damit Erfahrungen gemacht, sind eure Speicher in dieser Konstellation auch so "überdimensioniert"? Kennt jemand eine Lösung wie ich um den riesen Speicher rumkomme? (1 DC String bei Netzausfall abschalten? , den 9KW WR durch zwei keine ersetzen?)

Würde mich freuen, wenn jemand Tipps geben kann dass ich auch bald in der Victron Welt dabei bin

czrw asked
czrw edited ·

2 Answers

IP65 blue smart for 12v lifepo4

I'm charging an Amped Outdoors 30ah battery and read where it can go to 14.6-7 in bulk but that absorption and float don't matter. Is that true? When it reaches the 14.6v there's no more current going through.

aksel227 asked
aksel227 answered ·

2 Answers

Right 230V charger for Lithium battery with BMS

Hi

I’m currently planning the electrical design for my camper van and it looks as follows:

• My battery is a 12V 100Ah Lithium Smart battery (LiFePO4)
  • Orion DC-DC charger is used to charge the battery from the alternator
  • MPPT 75/15 is used to charge the battery from the solar panel
  • Battery protect is used to disconnect DC Loads
  • Phoenix inverter is used for 230V loads
  • smallBMS should disconnect chargers or loads independently

Now there are two 230V chargers i could use. I already got the Phoenix IP43 230V charger, because it has an remote on/off switch which can be connected to the BMS. There is also the Blue Smart charger which can also revive dead batteries, but it has no remote on/off connection. So it would require a Cyrix-Li, if I got it right?

The question now is if my setup in general looks ok and which 230V charger fits better. I don’t really understand the differences between them except IP rating and the ability to revive dead batteries.

schreda asked
schreda edited ·

0 Answers

1114 Posts
129 Users
4 Followers

Topic Experts

Stefanie
331 Points
steffen-graap
50 Points
ascherg