question

Tim Chapman avatar image
Tim Chapman asked

Significant issue with Cyrix Li-Charge

On a recent installation Victron Smart batteries are being charged by Victron MMPT solar controllers and a Balmar alternator though a Cyrix Li-Charge 230, the latter is controlled by a VE Bus BMS. This is an installation exactly as per the schematic diagram supplied by Victron.

The problem is that the Cyrix Li-Charge is opening, (disconnecting) the battery almost exactly every 60 minutes for a few seconds then closing again. This is causing significant problems for the Balmar alternator regulator.

My understanding is that the Cyrix needs 13.7V on the charge terminal in order to close. The only way I can see this working is if any charging source is set to a minimum float voltage of 13.7 which according to the Victron charging recommendations for their LFPs is too high.

It is worth mentioning that the charge connect circuit from the BMS is always high, as it should be under normal operation.

On another installation I have done I have used a Battery Protect as the HV disconnect device but I gather this is not now recommended.

What is the solution to this dilemma? It is not acceptable for the Cyrix Li-Charge to open every 60 minutes when the charging sources drop into float mode.

Lithium BatteryCyrix Battery Combiner
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

centaur16 avatar image centaur16 commented ·

Hi Tim, I've come across the same issue - MPPT switches to Float at 13.5v and then I can hear the Cyrix-li-charge relay switch off too. MPPT on the Victron app then shows 0w.

Did you find a solution?

0 Likes 0 ·
stu-co avatar image stu-co centaur16 commented ·
Also checking if you've ended up with a solution to this problem @Centaur16
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
stu-co avatar image
stu-co answered ·

Hi, I am experiencing a similar issue! Did you happen to find a solution to this problem?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

The reported "every 60 minutes" disconnect is not a problem; it's the way the Cyrix-li-charge functions. See the user manual here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Cyrix-Li-ion-120-A-EN.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
stu-co avatar image stu-co Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Indeed, it is an issue in the sense that the way the Cyrix-Li-Charge has been designed to operate is not really compatible with systems with high output alternators that are wired directly to the Lithium batteries.

I think in the end the choice is to bypass the Cyrix-Li-Charge for the alternator alone, and rely on the Solid Switch 104 (via the BMS charge disconnect) to turn off the external regulator for the regulator in the case of battery overvoltage.

0 Likes 0 ·