question

Carlos Carvalho avatar image
Carlos Carvalho asked

Solar Charger - MPPT 450/100 - low battery voltage alarm

Using a Solar Charger - MPPT 450/100 couple with two Quattros 8000 48V and connected to a li ion 12S battery bank with a voltage range of 41-48.60V .

Once the voltage reaches around 47.50V the Solar Charger - MPPT 450/100 fires an alarm Low batt. voltage alarm: Alarm .

Why is that the case and how to get it switched off?

Lithium Batterybatteryalarm
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

well more research by your self is needed I think.

I do suspect the main reason to be that your batteries BMS is turning off the battery ie maybe due to a inbalanced cell inside, ie one cell in the bank is going over its set high limit. thus the battery goes off and the Smart solar sense that and reports or the inverters do and report it,

Ie if the inverter draw is lite then the mppt would supply the power need to keep the inverters from shutting down, but a large voltage dip may occur thus the low voltage allarm

its not a O there is only one reason so some diagnostics on your part to rule out issues needs to be done.

or you have a incorrect alarm setting somewhere

is the alarm from the solar unit or from the multiplus or from the battery monitor.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Carlos Carvalho answered ·

The alarm is from the MPPT and continues during evening. The BMS is not giving any errors and cells are balanced.

2 |3000

Carlos Carvalho answered ·

Is there a way to configure that alarm?

2 |3000

davidtudor avatar image
davidtudor answered ·

Did you sort this low battery error, I've just update both my RS 450/100 to latest V1.16 and now getting low voltage alarm, this only happens when i plug in my car to charge once the generator kicks in the low voltage error clears. But I didn't have the problem before I updated the firmware

3 comments
2 |3000

delf67 avatar image delf67 commented ·

You're using a generator to charge an EV?

0 Likes 0 ·
davidtudor avatar image davidtudor commented ·

yes i use a generator to charge 2 electric vehicles

0 Likes 0 ·
johannes-siller avatar image johannes-siller commented ·

I have the same problem after firmware update to v1.16

have you already found a solution?

0 Likes 0 ·
neil-soderlund avatar image
neil-soderlund answered ·

I have the same setup with a 12s Li ion battery operating in the 40-50v range and a low battery alarm goes off from the smartsolar 450/100 charger whenever the battery voltage hits 47.5 v. The charger does not have any user configurable alarms - so I'm assuming this is a bug in the latest firmware? Can anyone from Victron comment please?

2 |3000

Simon Hackett avatar image
Simon Hackett answered ·

I also have this issue - and I think it has happened after a recent firmware update.

I support sites with Redflow ZBM batteries that routinely wind up at quite low voltages after their maintenance cycles. This is not a problem and is both intentional and expected.

There are no alarms from the Multi (where the low battery voltage alarm has been turned off, intentionally), and nothing in the VRM alarm logs.

However, on the GX on these sites we now see lots of Low Battery Voltage alarms that are sourced from the attached CANBus DC MPPT unit. See screen shot below for an example.

There doesn't see to be any setting I can find on the GX or via the menus in the DC MPPT (accessed via VictronConnect), to turn these alarms off.

We don't need or want these alarms, and they're just creating a nuisance for us on the GX.

I'd be grateful for any hints on how to suppress these alerts.

mppt-low-batt-voltage.png

2 |3000

Simon Hackett avatar image
Simon Hackett answered ·

It looks like this might be a bug introduced in recent code updates, and that Victron are on the verge of fixing...a friend just found the following in the v3.22 release notes:

---

v3.22 – Feb 27th 2024
[...]
Known issue:
• Spurious low and high battery voltage alarms are generated for
the MPPT RS, when connected via VE.Can. Both on the GX itself,
visible on the notifications page, as well as on the VRM Portal.
Per 2024-03-12, the VRM part of it has been solved – the VRM
Portal no longer. The remaining problem, the spurious notifications
on the GX itself, will be solved in the next official release,
planned for latest end of March. This bug was introduced per
Venus OS v3.20.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Update to 3.30 that was released yesterday.
0 Likes 0 ·
davidtudor avatar image
davidtudor answered ·

Yes all cleared now

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?