mppt smart solar Image

mppt smart solar

This topic has been merged into MPPT - Solar Charge Controller . Please use MPPT - Solar Charge Controller when editing or creating new content.

Different numbers from MPPT calculator. What is system voltage?

I'm installing a total of six 210W panels. The panels are 24V each and I plan to connect pairs in series so that I have a 48V system with 3 branches in parallel. Per panel characteristics are Imax = 6.24, Vmax = 33.54, Voc = 39.66, Isc = 6.55. The system will charge a bank of 12V batteries.

On the MPPT calculator I need to enter system voltage, is that the 48V solar system or the 12V battery system? When I enter 48V it recommends the 100/20 MPPT controller, when I enter 12V it recommends the 150/60 MPPT. There's a huge cost difference between the two and of course I want to design for safety. Thanks in advance!

ajp asked
kevgermany answered ·

2 Answers

100/30 wiring diagram

I brought the 100/30 mppt charge controller wanting a full wiring diagram picture how to wire it up as I'm not sure. solar panels to unit to battery and do I need to put a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere what size if I do any help would be great thanks I have 1 300w solar panel and two 12v batteries

donkeydave1980 asked
stephen112 answered ·

3 Answers

Opportunity loads

Hi, I am building a setup in my van and wanting to know if I can use power from my mppt when my battery is fully charged without using my battery.

For example, my idea is to have 12v electric underfloor heating in my van. If my battery is fully charged I want to power the heating but don't want it to deplete my battery.

Same theory to heat my water tank.

So when I come back to the van, I have a full battery and possibly hot water and a warm van. I have a diesel heater if it gets cold.

If possible, how do I wiring this?

Dom

dominicrose asked
briona112 answered ·

5 Answers

Can I use a 40amp mega fuse at lynx distributor for smart solar mppt 75/15

Hello, I'm connecting a smart solar mppt 75/15 to a lynx distributor, which utilizes mega fuses and then to the battery bank. The maximum battery fuse rating for the MPPT charger per the manual is 25A and the minimum is 20A. The smallest mega fuse I could find was a 40A for the Lynx distributor. The MPPT charger has a 20A fuse already installed, but the manual says that another fuse is required even if the solar charger has been equipped with an external fuse.

1. Do I need to keep searching for a 20-25A mega fuse or will the 40A be sufficient?
  2. If I can't use the 40A mega fuse and can't find a 20-25A mega fuse, should I just run my MPPT battery connections through by blue sea fuse block with the correct fuse size? I have plenty of room, but it just doesn't seem like a conventional method running to the fuse block, through the lynx, and then to the battery.

stevewhale asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

MPPT Solar controller setup issue

Ive replaced an old solar controller with a Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller. The previous setup also charged my cab battery as the solar output ran through the motorhomes control unit. Should this still be the case, as it doesnt seem to be charging after the leisure batteries are charged ?

Thanks

radiofan asked
kevgermany answered ·

3 Answers

Low battery warning

[image]

so I have everything wired to this system, with the dc/dc hookup, mppt solar, 3000 multi plus. And 300ah of lithium battery. when I disconnect my batteries I’m still getting 12 throughout my system, yes the break in the line is to the batteries. Also the victron multi plus keeps showing low voltage. Even when we are in the sun with the solar system charging. What am I doing wrong and how can this be fixed?

carterkemppel asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

2 Answers

Decreasing state of charge despite able solar

We have a 210w solar panel with a MPPT 75/15 solar controller connected to 2 AGM 6v batteries in series for a total of 400Ah. When plugged in the batteries are at 100% state of charge and are in float phase. When we take our camper out on a trip, each day the Smart Shunt readings show the state of charge decreasing by about 4-6% each day. When I go to the history page for the Smart Charger it shows between 210-300Wh of power generated each day from our solar panel. It also shows that we consume between 10-30 Wh per day. With these figures I would assume that we generate more than enough power from our solar panel to fully recharge our batteries. Would you please explain why this does not occur and why we see a steady decline of our state of charge?

Thanks

clueless asked
snoobler commented ·

4 Answers

overcurrent protection between PV and MPPT

After spending hours going through the forum, I still have my question. For an installation on a sailboat with a fiberglass hull, why is a double pole circuit breaker required in the PV+ and PV- wires between the panel and the MPPT? The DC distribution system is grounded with the battery negative to the main grounding plate in the hull.

Not only that, but why is overcurrent protection needed at all? The panel fault current is much lower than the MPPT allowable input current, and the wires are oversized even for the MPPT input current rating.

Hondo asked
Hondo commented ·

4 Answers

SmartSolar 75/15 not showing in app after firmware update

Hi everyone,

I opened the app today to check the solar and it asked me to perform a firmware update, which I did. All seemed ok, now when I try and access it, it doesn't show up, and the blue blinking light has gone.

Anyone got any ideas what's happened.

Thanks, Jamie

jamie-w asked
riaan-schoeman commented ·

1 Answer

Gx doesn't discharge battery at night

Hi,

I'm new here, thank you for having me.
We are running a victron setup for a few weeks now. So not very experienced yet.
The setup we are using is 3 multiplus units (48/5000) for a 3 phase network (+ carlo gavazzi energy meter) and a mppt 450/100 unit as PV charger.

The problem is that the battery only discharges when the solar panels are charging the batteries.
When the battery has 74% at night, it will still have 74% the next morning.

Why doesn't it discharge in stead of using the grid?
Maybe a small setting but can't find it at the moment.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

g320 asked
ejrossouw answered ·

5 Answers

MPPT 75/10 load output is physically always on, cannot be shut off

Hello,

we use an MPPT 75/10 SmartSolar in one of our projects for charging a battery through pv and powering our system through the load output. Recently the load output is not behaving the way it is configured through the app via bluetooth. Regardless of what is configured the load output is always "on", meaning there is always the battery voltage on the output and any connected loads are always powered. Effectively, the MPPT does not physically shut off the load output.

We do not have a jumper connected nor do we use the street light functionality.

All software functionality seems to work fine. If we set the loading alrogithm to "always on" or "always off", it is shown correctly in the overview view. If the load is "on", the software measures the current correctly. If "off", the software does not measure the load current anymore although the physical load output is still switched on.

The firmware is the most current version and resetting to factory defaults didn't help.

How can the load output be fixed?

Can our system be a problem here which could have damaged the MPPT controller? The load we have connected are two DC/DC converts (for 24V and 5V) where we have a 50W pump and some 10W valves running on 24V and an automation controller (2W) on the 5V output. All in all it shouldn't be too much and inrush current spikes seem to be very unlikely (the pump has a controller which starts it very slowely).

Any help appreciated!

kaans asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

MPPT is giving lower amps than other

Hi,

I've 2 MPPT controllers, one with 8 solar panels and one with 12.

Problem: The one with 8 panels is giving a way higher amperage than the one with the 12 panels.

Both MPPTs are in the BULK stage. I would assume I've connected them wrong but the voltage seems accurate. The panels are all installed next to each other, no shadows.

Any idea what could go wrong?

Thanks

[image]

[image]

[image]

walter-widmore asked
snoobler commented ·

3 Answers

SmartShunt and Smart MPPT 75/15 current draw

Hello all, first post here.

A couple of days ago I installed a SmartShunt 500/50 and a 75/15 Smart MPPT controller in a motorhome. When everything is off and nothing can be used the shunt is showing current draw of 0.10A to 0.20A.

According to the datasheets, the MPPT has self consumption of 10mA, and the SmartShunt is <1mA. 11mA combined for the two. However, I'm drawing 10 to 20x more. The accuracy of the shunt is ±0.1A, so shouldn't it be reading 0.1A as a maximum? I appreciate this is a minor amount... I'm just curious as to why the numbers are 10 to 20 times out.

---

A couple other question while I'm here:

Is there any value in creating a VE network and joining both devices?
For the shunt, I only updated the battery Ah. Did I need to do anything with other settings and options (Sync SOC, zero current calibration, charged voltage etc)?

I didn't really know anything about solar and electrics before this, so it's been a steep learning curve! Many thanks in advance.

pablo79 asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

100/20 - 48V system Configuring a dump load for the load port (relay question?)

I have the 100/20 setup to charge a 48V Nissan Leaf battery setup (52V nominal with 7 plates I believe, a friend did the configuring for me)...

The system charges up to 58.1V and then the 810 watts of potential energy coming in don't have anywhere meaningful to go, so I wanted to attach a simple water heating element on the load port and configure the load system to allow the load port on whenever the battery reads over 58V and turn off at 57.5V (so the load only really runs on sunny days when the battery is already topped off).

In an ideal world the load port would skip taking energy from the battery at all and basically just take the excess energy when above the parameters I mentioned and send it all to a heating element.

I understand a relay is necessary since this model only sends 1A on the load port, so where can I find very clear and understandable wiring diagrams or information on how to set this up?

Thanks kindly!

seandembrosky asked
Jesse edited ·

1 Answer

Monitoring SmartSolar Charger MPPT 75/15 via VE.Direct to RS232 or VE.Direct to USB interface

Hello community people,

I would like to know that if VE.Direct to RS232 interface or VE.Direct to USB interface can be used to access the SmartSolar Charger MPPT 75/15. It would be great to suggest any solution to monitor the charge voltage, charge current, PV current, and PV voltage from the MPPT solar charger with any of the interfaces.

Thanks in advance.

skabalavayi asked
Mike Dorsett answered ·

1 Answer

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 - load current too low

Hi,

Trying to install a small off-grid solar system for an academic research with my minipigs ;-)

Monitoring the power produced via the VictronConnect app tells me something is wrong but I can't seem to be able to troubleshoot it myself. The power is jumping to about 10W once in a while and then drops to 0W. Current shows mostly 0.1A. Attached are all Trends screenshots from the Victron app. Can someone please help me?

My installation:

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20

Solar Panel from Solarex (Pmax 53W // Imax 3.08 // Vmax 17.2)

SuperWatt Gel 200 Ah 12V

Thanks a bunch!

Mitch!

(you can my minipigs on IG: @cochonpentu ;-))

[image]

[image]

[image]

cochonpentu asked
cochonpentu commented ·

2 Answers

MPPT RS 450/100 Error 117 Firmware incompatible

Hi,

one of my MPPT RS 450/100 shows in my Venus (version 2.73)

[image]

the firmware ist 1.05

[image]

there is no newer version availiable.

i tried

- mppt rs to factory defaults

- reboot of all devices

i have 2 other mppt rs 450/100 with the same(!) firmware, and i got no error in the venus.

is there a way to downgrade and new upgrade the mppt rs ? or reupdate with the same version ?

Or other idea ?

Thanks

Thomas

smueff1970 asked
Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

3 Answers

2 Smartsolar MPPT an einem PV-Panel ?

Hallo

Ich möchte einen 75/10 und einen 100/20 MPPT-Regler an einem gemeinsamen PV-Modul anschließen.

Jeder Solarregler ist an einen eigenem Akku angeschlossen.

Ist diese Konfiguration ohne Probleme möglich ?

Kann ich wahlweise auch den MPPT 75/10 von der Batterie trennen aber die Verbindung zum PV-Modul bestehen lassen ?

Vielen Dsnk !

michael-r asked
michael-r answered ·

2 Answers

EasySolar-II-GX not charging

Hi to all,

I have an EasySolar-II-GX 48/3000 system that went live yesterday and won't charge the battery bank. There is sufficient PV voltage. System parameters are:

- PowerPlus Energy (Aust) Lipo battery bank installed, user defined battery settings as per spec.

- Off grid system & no generator. A.C charge capability disabled.

- Multiplus firmware V471

- MPPT firmware V1.46

- GX device firmware V2.53

It appears the MPPT controller is stuck in OFF state as the remote input to it is held LOW by the GX device. Remote input voltage level checked with multimeter at 0 volts.

If I remove the remote control link wire from GX to MPPT and bridge MPPT remote input (H to L) as per manual then the MPPT operates as expected and charges batteries.

My question is, under what circumstances does the GX device inhibit the MPPT charge operation?

I have updated all firmwares and may have inadvertently upset one of the settings somewhere so an incorrect setting may be the cause.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards, Andrew.

[image]

[image]

outbackandy asked
solarfirst commented ·

6 Answers

Significant difference in voltages between Charge controller and 712 battery monitor

My solar charge controller is showing float and that my lithium 300ah battery is at 14.6 volts but my victron 712 battery monitor is showing 13.14 volts. I just setup this entire system and I’m not sure why the charge controller is entering this float when the battery is not fully charged.

Charge controller is victron 150/70

I also would like to know the appropriate settings for bulk/absorption, equalization if possible

(700 watts of solar on the roof)

zaczaller asked
bbmz answered ·

4 Answers

Getting very low watts from charge controller

I bought 700 watts of solar to go along with the 100-30 amp charge controller and I have only seen the highest watts of 150 coming from the controller. I even got it replaced and i’m still seeing such low numbers when the panels are in direct sunlight. I also tested the panels individually and they are both working properly

zaczaller asked
snoobler commented ·

8 Answers

Is it possible to control SmartSolar Charger MPPT 75/15 via VE.Direct zu VE.Can Interface ?

Hello community people,

I would like to know that if VE.Direct to VE.Can Interface or VE.Direct to NMEA2000 interface can be used to access the SmartSolar Charger MPPT 75/15 via CAN bus. It would be great to suggest any solution to control the charger with any of the interfaces.

Thanks in advance.

skabalavayi asked
kevgermany edited ·

1 Answer

Is SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 a serial or a shunt Controller ?

I have now gone through all the documents and data sheets from the download area and have not yet found an answer to my question.

Is the xxx a serial or a shunt controller? So is the voltage of the solar panels short-circuited (shunt) or only switched off (serial) when the battery is 100%?

Thank you and have a nice day.
Matthias

u076216 asked
kevgermany edited ·

3 Answers

MPPT 75/10 load output turning off on firmware update (India)

Hi All,

We have several instrumentation projects in India and have deployed over 350 of your:
1. Blue power smart charger IP65
2. Bluepower MPPT 75/10 solar controller.

The smart charger is working fine and predictably, no complaints.

We are having issues with the MPPT controller which include:
1. Its settings defaulting back to 12V operation from 24,
2. Not remembering settings when our field teams connect via cell phone over bluetooth (using
the USB bluetooth dongle), the unit asks for a FW upgrade. They upgrade the unit, it looks
fine, load in the config, leave the site and the unit again goes back to 12V operation.

3. Every once in a while device cut off the load even the batteries and PV is working fine, the load cut off value is set to 21.5 volt but controller cut it on 26 volt and it never turn it on, we have to send a person to that location multiple times with Bluetooth dongle to fix the issues, once we upgrade the firmware and user defined config file it works fine for some time and then go again into same mode.

The India dealer is Auroville Eenergy Products and the only support they offer is to replace
the units. We have had this problem at many sites, at least 50 so it cannot be so many
failures. Auroville really doesn't know how any of this stuff actually works.

We are getting to the point where we might be forced to use another brand of solar controller
unless we can figure out a way to stop this. I know your products are well engineered as I
have used them for over 20 years in projects all over the world but our back is against the
wall. Its not only costing us a small fortune in site visits but our reputation is taking a
beating to these malfunctions.

Could we get some technical support on this issue? We're not getting any from Auroville and we
are desperate.

digvijays asked
kevgermany commented ·

0 Answers

Are 50vdc solar panels wasted on a 12vdc system?

Hi, I am just trying to get my head around this and wonder if someone can confirm it please?

For a 12-15vdc battery off grid system needing to charge through a charge controller via a solar panel array of course which the panels are rated at around 55Vdcmax.

With the cheaper Ebay MPPT controllers (link to example type bellow), they cut off the solar panels inputs if the solar panel voltages are above around 15Vdc, so effectively the panel would only charge the system when the panel voltage is within the 12vdc - 15vdc, effectively only for a VERY short time in the morning and again at sunset.

With a Victron charge controller like (link of example type below), to charge the 12-15vdc from the panels (55Vdc). Does the Victron charge controller cater for the full 0-55vdc from the panel or does it also have built in cut out solar voltage cut offs, resulting in the same issue as the cheaper Ebay charge controllers?

I guess I am looking to have some device which converts the 0-55Vdc to a more usable 12-15vdc range so as to charge the batteries. Is the Victron charge controllers able to do that, regardless of the voltage from the solar panels are producing?

Kind regards

John.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwikvN3NkZ7nAhWBjY8KHc7qD1UYABAhGgJzYg&sig=AOD64_2zKdLOh-0DDQJdeH1s63koYtHLcg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwipx9XNkZ7nAhVE9XMBHb87AssQ9aACegQIGxBk&adurl=

https://www.victronenergy.com.au/solar-charge-controllers/smartsolar-100-30-100-50

John asked
elf edited ·

6 Answers

MPPT blue LED blinking at night

Hello,

can anyone tell me how to disable the blue LED constantly blinking at night ? We have two MPPT inside our Expedition Mobile and at night both of them are blinking blue which is pretty annoying.

Both are MPPT 100/50

digitalxxl asked
elf answered ·

6 Answers

Controlling the charge power of a MPPT250/100

Hi all,

Looking for many years at these nice blue boxes of Victron and finally having a good reason to buy one or two: two 4,3V European batteries 48V 16S2P LifePO4 batteries from a luxury yacht.

Since I have wired each of my solar panels seperately I am able to make a nice 3x4 configuration that can be connected to the MPPT250/100 that will charge the 48V 8,6kWh battery. BMS will probably be a Batrium.

A Multiplus 2 (FX) will run on mains power and fall back on batteries when the mains are disconnected.

Normally, the Multiplus charges the batteries at will when there is power availabe from the grid.

I, however, want to control the charge of the batteries in order to have a full charge at the end of the day. The stress on the fully charged cells will be for a shorter time before I disconnect the mains to drain the battery till 40%, where the mains is connected back again in the morning.

In this way I can harvest all my solar energy into the batteries and use the solar energy for our household too.

Is there a way to tell the MPPT250/100 or Multiplus at what speed the batteries can be charged?

Paul asked
Paul commented ·

2 Answers

MPPT no showing in CCGX

My MPPT will not show up on my CCGX via the VE.Can ports. If I use a VE.Direct, it shows up just fine. My problem with the VE.Direct cable is, it's only 5' long and won't reach my MPPT, so I have to use ethernet. My CCGX firmware is up to date, my MPPT firmware is up to date. The only devices I can see in the devices section of the VE.Can settings are the CCGX and The Quattro.

brian-mullen asked
brian-mullen commented ·

2 Answers

Smartsolar firmware 1.59 update

I saw the latest MPPT firmware was released stating it applies to all the models, however noticed the Smartsolar 75/15 does not get updated using the latest version of IOS VictronConnect 5.47 or the Android version and remains on 1.56. Can this point in relation to "all models" be clarified please? The larger models updated in line with earlier releases and the documentation guides.

ejrossouw asked
kevgermany edited ·

3 Answers

150/35 MPPT 10 khz noise

Hello guys,

I have installed a 150/35 MPPT Smart Solar charger in my van and it is driving me crazy with the noise it produces. Once I disconnect the solar panels, the noise is gone.

[image]

Is this normal, something I have to live with or is there anything that can be done?

Thank you

sandmac asked
panko commented ·

4 Answers

3519 Posts
677 Users
9 Followers

Topic Experts

Alexandra
703 Points
kevgermany
355 Points