question

shortcircuit avatar image
shortcircuit asked

AC-DC power supply to Orion DC-DC charger

• I am using an Orion DC-DC 12/12-18A to charge a leisure battery from the starter battery.
  • I would like to charge the leisure battery while parked up with AC power.
  • Can I use an AC-DC power supply to the Orion?
  • Will the Orion draw more than 18A and fry the PSU for any reason?
  • Is there already a product that does this? e.g. an AC/DC-DC charger

The reason I dont want to buy a battery charger is that ive already got one in the Orion. Using a generic PSU will allow me to power my entire DC circuit and charge the battery via the Orion at the same time.

Thank you

orion-tr smartorion dc-dcorion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

Yes, you can, assuming the PSU has sufficient power. With a 18A charger, the input current can be 20-25A, depending on the voltage (eg when using a 12V power supply)

As long as the PSU can provide sufficient power, no problem. Only add a switch to switch between alternator and PSU.

Keep in mind you need to enable the Orion as well, so either switch the D+ wire as well to enable the Orion when on PSU, or adjust the PSU to sufficient voltage to enable engine detect (so the Orion thinks the alternator is running )

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shortcircuit avatar image
shortcircuit answered ·

Perfect thank you. I will over-size the PSU to be safe. Sounds like manually switching the Orion rather than matching the PSU voltage will be easiest but il investigate

2 |3000