Battery Protect Image

Battery Protect

Protecting BP65 from overcurrent

Hi,

don’t need to protect a bp65 itself from overcurrent or can I use it as a „fuse“? Eg it sits on a rail which has an 80a fuse from the battery and down the BP im running a line which should allow the 65A. If there’s a short / overload I want the BP to shut down the line and not blow the 80A fuse upstream. Do I need a second fuse just before the BP e.g. 60A or am I good with just the main 80A fuse?

Best

max32 asked
jalles345 answered ·

3 Answers

Multiplus-II GX mit Victron Balancer

Guten Tag.

Ich möchte meinen MultiPlus II GX mit einem Victron Balancer verbinden. Der Balancer hat aber nur einen NO Kontakt.

Ich habe bereits den Battery Monitor angeschlossen und dieser hat einen NC Schaltkontakt somit kann ich beide nicht einfach in Serie schalten.

Es gibt laut Anleitung einen programmierbaren Eingang. Wie und welche Parameter muss ich da einstellen .

Könnt ihr mir da bitte weiterhelfen.

LG

Markus

maka73 asked
netrange commented ·

2 Answers

BP65 mode for Victron 12V AGM deep cycle battery

I'm just working my way through the specs for the battery BAT212200080 (12V 22Ah) and it states 20h discharge time End Voltage = 10.8V but I'm not sure what the 100% refers to. Would it be best to use mode 6 on the BP65 which cuts off at 10.5V or should it ideally be mode 3 11.25V which is nearest 10.8V? I'm assuming, although it says "deep cycle" it still needs to be shutdown at 50% discharge as it's an SLA battery. Or can "deep cycle" batteries such as this be 100% discharged? Thanks for any advice.

[image]

[image]

electronman asked
electronman edited ·

2 Answers

Cause of total system shutdown???
Looking for answers on what could be the issue with our Victron system...(3x 200Ah "Smart" lithium batts with Victron BMS, BatteryProtect, BMV and Color GX monitors, Quattro inverter/charger, MPPT controllers, etc.....all Victron).
A couple of weeks ago, we were hit by a heavy squall, with 35-40kn true wind on the nose, in large confused seas. The autopilot, an NKE driving an L&S hydraulic ram was struggling with the excessive weather helm. Just as we were preparing to put in a 3rd reef, the entire boat "went dark" without warning. No autopilot, instruments, gps, radio comms, or lights.....all 12v circuits on the boat were dead! And just as we really wanted the autopilot to keep driving as we tucked in another reef. The boat was on her ear, (we later found seaweed draped over the leeward lifeline!!!). As we struggled to regain control, all of a sudden the boat "lit up".....all 12 volt circuits started up again!!! YEE HAH!!! we did a quick happy dance!!! But our happiness was short lived, as the cycle of off/on happened 3 more times over the next hour or so. Visibility was very poor, as the rain got heavier. We started the motor (it has a dedicated starter battery) and dropped the mainsail for the last bit of the overflows. At last we rounded the Mull of Galloway and gladly headed north. Conditions have been comparitively mild since then, and the problem has not recurred.
So what happened to our electrical system? After all, having the boat shut down like that at the wrong time could be disastrous. Had this occurred at night, in shipping lanes, ships tracking us on AIS or visually by our lights would not have known we were out there. And similarly, we would have been "blind" without radar or AIS to spot ships. While we still have no definitive answer, at this point all signs point to the Battery Management System (BMS) of the lithium battery installation. It's the only thing which would shut off all of the loads like this. The job of the BMS is obviously to protect the batteries, and will shut down all loads on the system if it senses low overall system battery voltage, overheating of the batteries, or cell imbalance between individual cells in the batteries.
According to the installing electrician/dealer, he feels that the system was "operating normally"!!! That given the struggle of the autopilot in these wind/sea conditions, it is possible that the demands on the battery bank MAY have caused a cell imbalance which caused the BMS to shutdown, even though the overall battery voltage was fine (we'd been charging while hooked to shore power for 3 days so had been 100% only 2 hours earlier).
I am having a hard time thinking of this as "normal operation". Normal operation of critical systems cannot simply shut down without warning, or the system is not suited for purpose!!!!! And also that a cell imbalance could have been brought on by excessive load on the batts. (the autopilot only requires a 30 amp breaker....at 12v, that's just 360 watts, .05c, far less than the load imposed by an induction hob or microwave which we often use for longer periods through the inverter without effect.). While of course I was a bit too busy to check the individual cell voltages with VictronConnect during the shut down, whenever I check the voltages at other times, the 12 cells are all within .01 volt of one another. Any ideas of what could have caused this shut down (it has not happened since)??? And what could prevent it in the future? I am thinking of installing a battery switch in parallel with the terminals of the BatteryProtect relay, normally kept open, in case of another emergency shutdown, though I have been advised that it's use could void the warranty! Any suggestions are welcome!

svbravo asked
indianna edited ·

5 Answers

Wechsel von Blei zu LiFeMnPO4... ein paar Fragen.

Hallo zusammen.

Mir hat es vorgestern meine Blei-Säure Batteriebank (2x 12V 180AH Blei-Säure) zerkocht. Im wahrsten SInne des Wortes. Der BMV700 hat 100% angezeigt, aber der Bluesolar 100|50 hat fleißig weiter volles Produkt geladen (hab 1kw Solar auf meinem WoMo Dach). Das habe ich leider erst mitbekommen als die Batterie schon heiß war und (laut Geräusch) kochte.
Ich vermute es hat sich eine Batterie verabschiedet (warum auch immer) und die Ladeschlussspannung wurde nicht mehr erreicht. Obwohl sowas aber eigentlich auch nicht passieren dürfte, oder? Müsste der Bluesolar das nicht "mitkriegen"?

Da die Batterien nun aber hin sind, würde ich gern auf Lithium umsteigen. Neue Batterien brauche ich nun eh.
Ich habe ein Angebot für 8x 3,2V 200AH LiFeMnPO4 Akkus. Also Einzelzellen. BMS bin ich noch am suchen.
Die Frage ist ob meine Victron Komponenten damit umgehen können und was ich da noch tun muss.
Hier beginnen meine Fragen. :-)
Vorab, was ich habe:

- Victron Blue Smart Charger 24V/8A
- Victron Bluesolar Charge Controller 100/50 - ohne Bluetooth (daran 1kW Solar)
- Victron BMV700
- Victron Battery Protect 12/24 100

Komme alle Komponenten mit dem Batterietyp klar?
Was muss ich tun, um alles umzustellen? Die sind ja jetzt alle auf den Blei-Säure Batterietyp eingestellt. Wenn ich die alte Batteriebank abklemme und die neue dran klemme, erkennen die Geräte das automatisch oder muss ich das manuell einstellen? Erkennen die auch die korrekten Ladespannungen? (Ich habe leider noch kein Datenblatt zu den Zellen.) Muss ich die Geräte resetten? Und wenn ja, wie?

Danke schon mal.
Sonnige Grüße
Gordon

gordonmeiner asked
hardy-tuner answered ·

1 Answer

Use MPPT load output to drive battery protection opto/mosfet device

Hello,

I have an MPPT 100/20-48v charge controller charging 2x 120Ah lead acid batteries in series. I want to drive an inverter (around 1000W) from these batteries to run a conventional fridge/freezer for X hours a day (with an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) to fall back to mains when the battery voltage falls below a certain threshold).

As we know, you must connect the inverter directly to the battery as the MPPT controller cannot supply more than 20A.

Problem is I dont 100% trust the ATS and I am very impressed with the MPPT load output features so I wanted to use the Automatic Load Disconnect of the controller to act as a fail-safe.

I had wanted to use the Victron Battery Protect (with remote control connected to the load output) to connect/disconnect the battery in the event of it becoming too low but I read this is forbidden.

I would have the ATS voltage threshold set to switch off and on the inverter mains at a slightly higher voltage to the MPPT, so in practice the fall-back device should not really be used unless the ATS fails.

Its odd such a "turn key" solution is not easily available for solar, as surely its a common requirement.

Dad reckons such a thing is feasible to make using an OPTO + heavy Mosfets and using the load output as a "remote control" signal to keep the battery connected, if the load output turns off, the Mosfets would disconnect the power.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Regards

Danny

vonny232 asked
vonny232 answered ·

1 Answer

Feature Request - Add built-in programmable delay timer to Battery Protect

Hi Victron Team

I Currently run a Battery protect that has a positive trigger to the remote port so when i turn my ignition on the BP goes active, but I Would love to have a delay on this, currently i am running a timer relay inbetween that then activated the BP after 30 seconds of the ignition being turned on, but would be awesome and a lot less clutter of devices, if the BP could have a turn on and/or turn off delay

Cheers

xrsprint asked
xrsprint answered ·

2 Answers

battery current discharge
would it be possible to insert the parameter sent by bms max. discharge current of the battery as an adjustable value in cerbo or shunt? Or is somebody who already solved this problem?

siolaservice asked
Alexandra commented ·

0 Answers

Clarity on Battery Protect 12/24 100A used with inverter

Could anyone please assist with the following:

My goal is for the BP unit to control the on / off switch of my inverter remotely, hence by under voltage remote 'off' and once the voltage has been restored, the [inverter] remote is switched to 'on'.

Point #4 of the BP's instructions advise against disconnecting higher power DC so the 'OUT' terminal is not used.

If I have understood correctly, I will need to use a relay in a 'normally closed' position thereby allowing the [inverter] remote to be active and the inverter will be 'on'.

Consequently, in the event of under voltage, given I have selected programme 'b', the BP will trigger the relay to 'open' thereby triggering the [inverter] remote and inverter itself to 'off'.

Where the instructions leave me somewhat unsure is by under voltage restart: will the voltage restoration trigger the relay to the 'normally closed position' thereby activating the remote and switching the inverter to 'on'?

Most grateful for any ideas or suggestions.
Best regards

bazil asked
bazil commented ·

2 Answers

Branchement d'un relais sur Smart battery protect

Bonjour à tous, je viens d'acquérir un Smart battery protect 65a pour ma batterie plomb calcium décharge lente de 110ah.

Au départ je voulais l'utiliser pour l'ensemble de ma petite installation solaire qui comprend des sorties USB + prise allume cigare, un convertisseur 12-220v de 1000w et une connexion vers ma box internet régulée par un convertisseur buck 12v.

Mon souci est que je ne peux utiliser mon smart battery protect pour l'ensemble notamment en raison de présence de condensateurs d'après la notice mais aussi pour une question d'ampérage.

Est-il donc possible de brancher un relais commutateur en sortie (OUT) du Smart battery protect afin d'en faire un coupe circuit en cas de décharge trop importante de ma batterie et si oui auriez-vous des recommandations ?

J'ai pu trouver quelques questions sur le sujet mais ça ne répond pas complètement à mon problème et je ne veux pas faire d'erreur de montage.

Certains préconisent de brancher le relais via la borne alarme... je ne comprends pas trop pourquoi.

Concernant l'ampérage d'un relais, la valeur indiquée a-t'elle un rapport avec le courant pouvant passer par les bornes du relais ou est-ce juste une valeur propre à la bobine du relais ? En résumé, si je peux avoir un courant allant jusqu'à une centaine d'ampères, est-ce que le nombre d'ampère indiqué sur mon relais doit être supérieur à cette estimation ?

Concernant le relais, voici ce que j'envisage d'utiliser

Mes connaissances restant relativement basiques en la matière, par avance merci de faire preuve de pédagogie dans vos réponses :-D

jooe92 asked
jooe92 edited ·

4 Answers

Battery Protect 65A mit Smart Solar 75/15 Lastausgang steuern?

Hallo liebe Community,

ich habe eine Frage zum Battery Protect ( ohne Bluetooth).

Laut Anleitung vom Smart Solar (mit Lastausgang) lässt sich der Battery Protect über ein Kabel vom Remote zum Lastausgang steuern.

Muss der Battery Protect dazu ein Smart(er) sein oder geht das auch mit dem BP ohne Bluetooth?

Über etwaige Erfahrungen und Tipps wär ich sehr dankbar.

Mfg

Max

max-mosi asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

2 Answers

Orion-Tr Smart DC/DC control and grounding clarification

Hi,

I am building a 24V setup very similar to the victron van install (https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/15035/victron-vw-van-electrics-install-schematic-drawing.html) on a old Mercedes Benz truck (no smart alternator).

Instead of the Buck Boost, I will use the new Orion-Tr Smart 24/24-17A (400W) Isolated DC-DC charger behind a Battery Protect.

My negative bus bar and the enclosure of the MultiPlus are grounded to the chassis using 4mm2 wire.

The manual of the Orion-Tr Smart (https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Orion-Tr-Smart-Charger-Isolated-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-IT.pdf) states on page 4:

"Remote on-off
Use the remote function to enable and disable the converter remotely with the remote on/off connector or using the
VictronConnect app. Typical use cases include a user operated
hard wired switch and automatic control by for example a Battery
Management System. If the minus of the service battery is not at
the same potential as the minus of the alternator or starter battery
an isolated remote on/off cable between the BMS and the on/off
port is required, see chapter 4.4 for details.
"

This should not be the case in a vehicle, but the on page 10, Figure 4:

[image]

there is an isolated remote on/off cable shown.

So here are my questions:

• Is it correct to ground the negative bus bar and the enclosure of the MultiPlus to the vehicle?
  • Is it necessary to also ground the enclosures of the MPPT, the Orion etc. in such a setup?
  • Basically, I want to use the automatic "engine running" detection mechanism of the Orion-Tr to enable it. In case the VE.Bus BMS triggers the charge disconnect, the BatteryProtect on the charge side disconnects the Orion-Tr to protect the batteries. The question now is, if I also need to deactivate the Orion-Tr to protect it from beeing damaged, like with a MPPT? How would I do this? I have a "Non inverting remote on-off cable, ASS030550200" in my hands. It does not look like the one used in the diagram, it only has three cables (red, black, yellow).

Thanks!

kiko asked
scooterjay answered ·

2 Answers

Battery Protect

I have come across a situation and hoping that you may have heard of this and might be able to suggest a solution.

A microwave oven on the boat is powered from a Freedom 20 inverter. When the microwave is turned on either the Victron Smart Battery Protect or the Cyrix-Li-Load randomly turns off. It happens about 20% of the times the microwave is used. It has never turned off both devices at the same time. It never happens when the microwave is operated on shore power which would suggest that the inverter is emitting some kind of pulse or signal which turns off the Victron devices.

I really appreciate any of your professional advice and thoughts regarding the above.

Thanks. Have a great day.

Paul Thornton

indianna asked
indianna commented ·

0 Answers

Batery Protect 220A

[image]

Hardware information required.

I understand, the BP is a intelligent FET switch, basically a uniderictional SSR, right? Does it has a reverse bypass diode inside, so the charge current would pass without to be interrupted and also to protect the FETs on reverse polarity, or does it act as a diode and block reverse current (until it breaks).

Any insights of what reverse currents are acceptable (ratings of the bypass) or not (break-through voltage difference) would be appreciated. Nothing found in the datasheet about the limitations except the asterisk note, it is unidirectional. As an Engineer quite frustrating not knowing the exact function and the limits.

Can two BP be connected anti-parallel to each other interrupting a line and controlling charge and discharge direction separately (would work if there is no bypass diode inside and if they effectively block reverse currents without getting damaged)?

Thanks a lot

johanndo asked
johanndo edited ·

2 Answers

Battery protect

Hello everyone,

I have a 24Vcc system (lights, nothing big) and I was thinking of getting a SmartSolar MPPT with Load support.

The question is: can I install a MPPT without the load output and simply connecting a SmartBattery Protect to handle my system?
Next year there will be a Multiplus too.

Many thanks,

Mike

fgs-energie asked
Alistair Warburton answered ·

1 Answer

Followers

371 Posts
333 Users
3 Followers

Topic Experts

Stuart
1 Points