balmar Image

balmar

Help setting up 2nd alternator with Balmar 614 to work with my VE. Bus BMS

Hello, all.

Im currently doing a camper van conversion and I’m trying to set up my Nation’s 2nd alternator regulated by a Balmar 614 to work with my Victron system. I have four 200ah 12v Victron smart lithium batteries being managed by a VE. Bus BMS. I was advised that I could use a Battery Protect in Lithium mode connected to the “allow to charge” port on my BMS. The battery protect is connected to the ignition wire of the Balmar voltage regulator. If ever the battery was under or over appropriate temperature for charging, the BMS would open the circuit on the battery protect thereby cutting the ignition wire to the alternator.

I wired up the system last weekend and the alternator was working fine until today when I programmed the battery protect into Lithium mode and connected it to my BMS. Now the circuit seems open as the Balmar regulator is not powering on.

Any idea why I’m not getting power to my alternator now?

Hope all of that makes sense. I’m a newbie for sure so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bradg asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

How to program Balmar MC-614 regulator for Vctron lithium?

Victron and Balmar: I’m busy programming my Balmar MC-614 regulator for my new Victron lithium batteries. Does anyone know what Victron recommends the following parameters should be:

(1) FbA(Field Threshold - Bulk to Absorption) [Balmar factory set at 65%]

(2) FFL(Field Threshold - Float to Absorption) [Balmar factory set at 65%]

(3) SLP(Slope Voltage Correction) [Balmar factory set at 6.0mV/deg.C]

s-v-simbora asked
Stefanie commented ·

1 Answer

Lynx smart BMS and Balmar 621

Good morning,having purchased the entire Victron system( - 2 Lifepo 200Ah 24 v -,Multiplus II 24-5000 120,- Lynx Distributor 1000 -Lynx Smart BMS Cerbo GX,-GX Touch 50 - MPPT 75-15 and smart battery protect between MPPT and load bar, question is how to protect my Balmar 621-24v-70A with external regulator MC 624 from current spikes in case of sudden battery disconnection from the system during alternator spinning

Thasnks Giulio

giulio asked
Johan Ohrstedt edited ·

1 Answer

Positioning the alternator input with the lynx modular system

I’m using a lynx shunt, power-in and distribution panel. I’ve a balmar alternator with MC-618 regulator. If I follow the balmar instructions I connect the alternator power out directly to the house bank positive. How will this current flow, with the alternator on register with the cerbo GX ? I guess it will totally mess up the battery discharge calculation. If I wire the alternator into the distribution side there are significant issues in the battery’s disconnect with the alternator still charging?

rupez1 asked
hjohnson commented ·

1 Answer

Followers

4 Posts
4 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

There are currently no experts identified for this topic. Can you answer questions in this topic area? Community members who provide answers that are marked as correct earn reputation and may become recognized as topic experts.