question

expedition avatar image
expedition asked

48V Balmar Alternator to charge Lithium Bank

Hi Guys, I hope you can help me on this one:

I have a system using a Multi RS Solar 48/6000/100. Have AC Input-Solar Input and need to charge the 5 US3000C Pylontech batteries using a 48V Balmar Alternator.

Can I plug the Balmar Regulator directly to the Batteries or should I need some device in between?

Thanks!!

Pylontechalternatorbalmar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jessiejim1 avatar image
jessiejim1 answered ·

I don't recommend connecting an alternator directly to the batteries as the alternator can produce a high charging voltage that may damage the batteries. Therefore, it is important to have a charge controller or a battery isolator in between the alternator and the batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

Balmar has (just as eg Wakespeed) alternator regulators which support lithium

https://balmar.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/PDS-MC-620-H.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

iand avatar image iand commented ·
The Wakespeed WS-500 is more capable than the Balmar and is also now supported by Victron (don't know if the Balmar is).
0 Likes 0 ·
expedition avatar image
expedition answered ·

Yes, Im saying connecting the Regulator (Balmar MC 620) Directly to the batteries

3 comments
2 |3000

djsmiley avatar image djsmiley commented ·
You do need a 12V powersupply (DC converter like Orion-TR 48/12) since the MC-620 needs 12V.

0 Likes 0 ·
expedition avatar image expedition djsmiley commented ·
Yes, I will input 12V to the mc-620. But after that. I can plug the regulator directly to batteries or do I need a battery isolator or any other hardware?
0 Likes 0 ·
djsmiley avatar image djsmiley expedition commented ·
Yes. Only add a fuse close to the batteries and configure the MC620 properly.
0 Likes 0 ·
dj-dulux avatar image
dj-dulux answered ·

Only issue I see is if the Pylontech protection turns on the alternator will generate a huge voltage spike and likely damage alt and controller. I am working with the same dilema at the moment... Looking at a NodeRED solution reading DVCC CCL, if above 140A then enable charging relay, if not don't allow charge to prevent protection kicking in.

Cheers,

Dupe...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic