question

rupez1 avatar image
rupez1 asked

Positioning the alternator input with the lynx modular system

I’m using a lynx shunt, power-in and distribution panel. I’ve a balmar alternator with MC-618 regulator. If I follow the balmar instructions I connect the alternator power out directly to the house bank positive. How will this current flow, with the alternator on register with the cerbo GX ? I guess it will totally mess up the battery discharge calculation. If I wire the alternator into the distribution side there are significant issues in the battery’s disconnect with the alternator still charging?

alternatorlynx shuntbalmar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
myhomebuzz avatar image
myhomebuzz answered ·

Hi @Rupez1

Your Balmar is a DC-DC charger from an alternator. He's like an Victron Orion DC-DC or Victron BuckBoost DC-DC.

Since you have a Victron Lynx Shunt, the negative of the Balmar goes to the Victron Lynx Shunt (out, not in) and the positive to the battery bank. The Victron Lynx Shunt is connected to the Cerbo for the management part. So the management goes through the Cerbo. You just have to configure your Balmar (bluetooth) with the right charging current / voltage.

This is what I see in the documentation but I do not know the specifics. But ask your Balmar supplier, he is there for you.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rupez1 avatar image rupez1 commented ·
I’m not sure this is possible. The alternator is ‘case negstive’ and the circuit is though the engine chassis to the common negative earth.
0 Likes 0 ·
hjohnson avatar image hjohnson rupez1 commented ·
That negative (engine chassis) gets connected to the side of the shunt opposite of your batteries. Basically, the only thing that is connected to the low side of your shunt is the negative of your batteries. All other negatives connect on the high side of the shunt.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic