question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.60~30 available for testing

Good day all,

v2.60~30 is now available for testing. See below for details.

This post is intended for all people participating in the Venus OS Beta test program.

In case you're new to the v2.60 beta test series, please make sure to read the previous v2.60 posts, listed below. There are several significant improvements in v2.60. The highlights are the addition of a feed-in limit, added ethernet-connected energy meters, updates on the NMEA2000-feature (addition of tanks, and Solar chargers), as well as many other improvements with regards to tank monitoring.

I am, again still ;o), aware that above list now amounts to a lot of reading and clicking back and forth: I've started on making it all in one, quite the list. And will share it here as soon as its finished.

What to test & how to report?

The updated Marine MFD HTML5 App need testing. Especially on different size MFDs & system configurations.

Also the user interface improvements around NMEA2000-out & VE.Can/N2K Device Instance configuration would be good if they are tested.

Lastly, this the GX Touch: if you still see freezes please post - since we have fixed them.

If you see issues, please post a new "answer" below; or in case the same issues is already mentioned, then comment on that to say you see it too; or help, and so forth. Please do mention the Venus OS version you have installed; just to prevent confusion.

Change log v2.60~30

• Fix GX Touch (but also touch & mouse on Remote Console) handling when pressing multiple times at certain moments. Our gratitude to all that have helped by sending videos and information! That helped.
  • CAN / NMEA2000 UI Improvements
    • Make it easier / clearer to change device instances.
    • Added a help text & button to open it, to especially point out that what is being changed in that menu are device instances, not data instances; as well as link to the document where we explain the details around those.
    • Various rewordings
  • Fix the CAN-bus profile switching (broken earlier in v2.60 development)
  • Rename Device instance to VRM instance, to make it less ambiguous. (this is in the "Device" submenu of all entries in the main Device list.
  • Show the custom names (when set) for tank senders.
  • Various layout improvements to the Marine MFD HTML5 App.
  • Resistive tank inputs on Venus GX & Cerbo GX: use unfiltered readnigs for the Sensor resistance (which visible in the Setup submenu)
  • Fix bug in DVCC: it applied current control to solar chargers configured to a VE.Can Device instance of 1 and higher; now it only controls solar chargers configured to a Device instance of 0. Which allows to connect other solar chargers, connected to a different battery bank on the same boat, for monitoring.

Thats it for this version - all the best & have a good weekend,

Matthijs Vader

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
espen avatar image
espen answered Ā·

Cerbo, venus 2.60~30.

DVCC. It does not select temp.sensor automatic( or list wich one it has selected.)

Also: I have two temp. sensors connected to the Cerbo. one is Battery(input1) and one is Generic(input2) . In the DVCC temp.list, it list correctly only the bat.temp sensor, but in the list it has got the name Generic insted of Battery. when selected, I see it is the correct one on input1.

See images:

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Noted Espen, thank you for reporting

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi @Espen, auto-selection of the temperature sensor works a bit different. To avoid the possibility of using the wrong sensor for temperature compensation on the chargers, we will only automatically use the temperature sensor from the battery service, if it has one. This is also backwards compatible with how we did it in the past (since Venus 2.30). So it is normal and expected that it won't automatically select the sensor. You have to explicitly select the one you want to use.

The naming will be improved in the next testing release. Thanks for reporting!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi @Espen, this issue was solved in v2.60~31. More details here:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/670

0 Likes 0 Ā·
espen avatar image espen mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Yes, I did see it, and tested in later releases, and works realy good now:)

0 Likes 0 Ā·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

If your sensor is on the Venus/Cerbo it will not detect the local sensor, it only auto detects temp sensors on the VE bus such as the multiplus temperature port.

You have to manually select it on the venus/cerbo.

Also be aware, there is a bug in the current OS that results in DVCC ignoring sensors on the Venus (not sure if it applies to the CGX as well). This has is being corrected in the next 2.60 release on the Venus, hopefully if the CGX is affected it will be included in that code stream also.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
daniel avatar image
daniel answered Ā·

I have problem with ET-112, accidentally disconnects and system is in Passthru mode.
If I rolled back the version v2.60~29 all is ok.

3 comments
2 |3000

ville-jussila avatar image ville-jussila commented Ā·

I did have exactly same problem with ET-340.. now when back in ~29 ET-340 works normally.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi @Daniel & @Ville Jussila, could you try todays version, v2.60~34 and let me know if all works well again for you?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
ville-jussila avatar image ville-jussila mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

I can confirm that ET-340 works with v2.60~34

0 Likes 0 Ā·
john-hagtharp avatar image
john-hagtharp answered Ā·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy), I'm on v2.60~30 now and, once again, Settings => General => Reboot displays "Rebooting..." for a while but does nothing. Feel free to connect in and take a look.

13 comments
2 |3000

Hi John, yes will do - thank you

0 Likes 0 Ā·
john-hagtharp avatar image john-hagtharp mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

The text menus in the GUI will not display at all now but it still seems to be functioning ok apart from that. I'm resisting the urge to reboot or restart the GUI in case it interferes with diagnosis from your end.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·

I made an issue for this, see https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/676. Do you have any idea what triggers this / how to reproduce this?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
john-hagtharp avatar image john-hagtharp jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·

I have not identified any trigger. I tend to connect in a few times per day via remote console from LAN, usually just to see what it's doing. Sometimes I'll change a setting, usually ess mode, minimum SOC or scheduled charging.

The only non-standard thing I sometimes do is connect via SSH and force back into absorption (from float) using a dbus command.

Right now, it has problems even immediately following a reboot. Attempting to online update to 2.60~31 shows "installing 2.60~31" for a while but this goes away and goes back to "Press to update to 2.60~31" again.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
john-hagtharp avatar image john-hagtharp john-hagtharp commented Ā·

Let me know if you'd like me to revert back to the latest non-beta release for a while to check if the problem is only with 2.60.xx

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ john-hagtharp commented Ā·

Yes we can check that (actually I already installed v2.57)

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi @Jeroen. It is looking like v2.57 solves the problem. GUI memory usage, as reported by top, came up a little to about 74M after my first remote console connection but has sat there very stable since then.

There's another issue that I've been reluctant to report in case it's completely unrelated to the Victron equipment. The sole computer that we leave running full time has been locking up completely on a regular basis. Just a black screen, no log messages, blue screen. Only a power down and up again will restart it. I believe it's only been happening since I've been running v2.60~xx on the ccgx. The only thing that made me suspect the power as the culprit is that it seemed to stop happening immediately after updating to one of the 2.60~xx versions. I thought you may have fixed something. It then came back again recently (regression?) and, adding to my suspicions, has not happened since you installed v2.57. I'm wondering if there's some transient voltage regulation issue in 2.60. I know the data here is very weak and thought hard before even mentioning it.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Thanks, yes I saw that memory usage is stable at 74M as well. Actually I took the liberty to update it again to 2.60.xx, and I have removed the gui specific memory limit, so it can claim all system resources. The color control will reboot if the gui actually does that, but that will be logged. Lets see if it reports this out of memory condition again. In the meantime I will have a look if I can add some diagnostics about the memory usage.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

yes. I just saw you've updated it. GUI now sitting at 99M...

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi @Jeroen. The GUI memory use on 2.60~34 has been quite stable in the range of 106M-109M when I've looked at it over the last day. I'll be off site for a couple of days and have reverted back to 2.57 to help avoid any issues in my absence.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi @Jeroen. Back on-site. Updated to 2.60~35.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

I updated it, just to add some debug numbers..

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Running 2.60~37 now. Memory problem looks to be resolved :-)

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources