question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.60~26 available to be tested

Good afternoon Europeans & Africans, and night, morning, evening to the rest!

Just now we released Venus OS v2.60~26 to the Release-candidate feed, so it can be field-tested by all people participating in the Venus OS Beta test program.

Compared to the previous available version, ~25, this one contains a few changes, see details below.

In case you're new to the v2.60 beta test series, please make sure to read the previous v2.60 posts, listed below. There are several significant improvements in v2.60. The highlights are the addition of a feed-in limit, added ethernet-connected energy meters, updates on the NMEA2000-feature (addition of tanks, and now also Solar chargers), as well as many other improvements with regards to tank monitoring.

I am of course aware that above list now amounts to a lot of reading and clicking back and forth: I'll soon work on combining it all in one complete v2.60 change log.

What to test & how to report?

• The feed-in limiter is definitively a new feature that will need testing (and possibly more improving) to make it good. If you see issues with it, welcome to post below. Also if it works well, very welcome to post your system details (what mppts, what pv inverters, etcetera) & that it is working well for you below.
  • PV Inverter monitoring & feed-in regulation. This was changed a while back in v2.60. No issues reported: all good so far.

The newly added Carlo Gavazzi EM24 ethernet energy meter is working well for a long time already (despite the currently missing config screen).

In case you see any issues, or in case for example you are using the feed-in limiter

Change log v2.60~26

• Feed-in limiter (ie. the new feature as explained in the v2.60~14 post) is changed to improve feed-in limiting for systems having both AC- and DC-Coupled solar installed. Now, the DC-Coupled solar, ie the solar chargers, are limited first. Which is better, as for feed-in, AC-Coupled solar is more efficient, and also some PV Inverters are slow to ramp up once ramped down.
  • Add Solar Chargers to the NMEA2000-out function. Besides battery monitor data, inverter/charger data, and tank level data, the GX Device can now also make solar charger data available on an NMEA2000 network.
  • Fix GPS altitude being wrong for NMEA2000 GPS-es (support for NMEA2000 GPS-es was added earlier in v2.60 development)

Known issues

• the new Ethernet-connected energy meters can't be configured; this will be fixed soon. They default to being a grid meter - so when used just for that, the missing configuration screen is no issue.

Best regards, Matthijs Vader

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
rainerb avatar image
rainerb answered ·

Hi Matthijs ,

I installed v2.60~26 because I wanted to test the grid feed-in limit with my one phase 24V ESS system (with activated phase compensation).

I have a 6 year old Multiplus 3000/24 (v474), VenusGX, ET340, BMV712, Smart MPPT100/50 (1,1kWp), 1200Ah OPzV battery bank and an ACout coupled Fronius Galvo inverter (1,8kWp).

• Update: After playing around with the Grid feed-in settings, I found out that when I switch ON the "DC-coupled PV feed in" and switch it OFF a minute later, the AC-coupled PV grid feed-in limit does not work anymore! The Fronius inverter refuse to ramp up or ramp down and works with full power.
    After switching the Fronius completely off and on, the limit works again. Maybe it would also work with rebooting the Venus GX but I didn't try it yet.

It does not work with this settings:

• As soon when I switch on the DC-coupled function, my Multiplus battery voltage settings are increased by +0,2V...
    Float“ state should be 28,2V and it is increased to 28,4V, „Absorption“ state should be 29,2V and it is increased to 29,4V!
    When swiching off the DC-coupled PV feed-in excess function, the values immediately go back to the configured values. Is this +0,2V offset intended?

DC-coupled PV feed-in is ON (Float=28,4V):
    DC-coupled PV feed-in is OFF (Float goes back to 28,2V as it should be):

• This is just a bit related to the grid feed-in limit, but you should provide a way to significantly increase the ESS regulation speed when compensating other phases.

A 2kW load on the Multiplus L1 phase is instantly compensated and shown on the remote console within 1-2 seconds –> very good!

BUT my system needs about 13 seconds to compensate a 2000W load on another phase (L2/L3). When switching it off, it shoots all the power into the grid for about 10 seconds – despite the 300W grid feed-in limit (see screen).
    I do not understand this, because all necessary and correct metering values are shown on the remote console after ~2 seconds.
    So why does the ESS do not trigger the superfast Multiplus and needs another eternal 10 seconds to fully react on changing values? Drinking a coffee maybe ;-)
    More people are discussing this speed issue in this post:
    https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/51697/victron-ess-et112-slow-response.html

Best regards

Rainer

remote1.jpg (37.0 KiB)
remote3.jpg (38.0 KiB)
remote6.jpg (37.0 KiB)
remote5.jpg (32.6 KiB)
remote7.jpg (36.6 KiB)
remote8.jpg (36.7 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rainerb avatar image rainerb commented ·

Hello. After upgrading my Fronius Galvo to the latest firmware, the grid feed-in limit still does not work. The limit is set to 500W. DC-coupled feed-in is disabled and therefor the pv charger is reduced because the batteries are full.

VRM grid values for yesterday - you can see no feed-in limitation at 500W.

Regards

Rainer

0 Likes 0 ·
remoteconsole.jpg (183.3 KiB)
vrm-grid.png (62.0 KiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ rainerb commented ·

Hi Rainer, my guess is that the Galvo doesn't support it. See also here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:fronius#fronius_victron_specifics , the Galvo is not listed in the supported models.

0 Likes 0 ·
rainerb avatar image rainerb mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi mvader,

that is not good to hear that my Fronius Galvo datamanager card is not supported anymore. Sometimes the grid feed-in limit actually works and the GX always says "active Yes". So I think there should only a small issue with it.

0 Likes 0 ·
1592830621886.png (22.2 KiB)
john-hagtharp avatar image
john-hagtharp answered ·

Hi Mathijs,

The CCGX was showing an exclamation mark in a triangle which I guess is an indication of notifications. Under notifications, there were two grid lost events. Clicking on them did nothing.

I attempted a reboot from the menu which also did nothing. Connecting in with ssh and "reboot -f" did the job.

I've noticed similar issues where online firmware updates would do nothing and also could not reboot. This has been going on for a few releases now but possibly always 2.60~xx.

Regards,

John

2 |3000

girbar avatar image
girbar answered ·
We have asked on several occasions to enable more options to plan the battery charge from the grid depending on more variables (weather forecast for example). Would it be possible to enable via modbus, change ESS mode? (with battery life, without battery life, keep batteries charged). Thank you. 

Regards
Antonio
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Just being testing with Ver 2.60.26 with a Mulitplus2 3000kW 48V with 10kw Pylon battery bank

with AC coupled Fronius 3kW grid tied inverter and 2x Mastervolt grid tied inverter AC coupled.

All going fine with no issues to date, very stable in operation.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000

markus-001 avatar image
markus-001 answered ·
@mvader (Victron Energy)Hi Matthijs this might be off topic as I mentioned it already in v2.60~22 and v2.60~23 so maybe you are already aware of it, please just delete this post if it's not revelant here.

I'm still seeing MPPT's ramp down from 1500w each to zero when ESS moves to ESS#1: SOC is low.

All 4000 watts of power is taken from the grid and the 3000w plus solar power is ramped down to zero instead of only taking 1000w from grid to supliment the 3000w

Best regards

Markus

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Markus_001

someone will contact you about this, it is not related to this Venus version.

0 Likes 0 ·
rvoosterhout avatar image
rvoosterhout answered ·

I'm running version 2.60.26, but I've got an issue with the tank sensor. I didn't perform an upgrade, this is a clean install.

I can read my sensor values, but when I change the standard to custom, the value changes back to European, it doesn't stay set on custom, so I can't enter custom Ohm values.

Also my Settings - I/O - Analog inputs list is empty, so I can't disable my unused tank sensor 2 and 3.

Did I perhaps miss something?

Thanks!

5 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

I have a script file written to over come these missing files and pages when they do version changes etc. so i don't have these issues anymore when updating to newer versions and there missing files and screens etc.

Replace this file and it will show the Analog I/O again. just rename the type to .qml

file is under /opt/victronenergy/gui/qml/

PageSettingsIo.txt

0 Likes 0 ·
pagesettingsio.txt (3.5 KiB)
rvoosterhout avatar image rvoosterhout Rob Duthie commented ·

I tried this, unfortionatly it didn't work. My I/o list in settings is still empty, and I can't select the custom option in the tank sensor.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie rvoosterhout commented ·

Hi

Did you keep and add your saved files into the data folder?

0 Likes 0 ·
rvoosterhout avatar image rvoosterhout Rob Duthie commented ·

What do you mean by this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie rvoosterhout commented ·

Do you know anything about the raspi filing system at all? and using SSH to access the file directory using Win SCP or Bitvise SSH client programs.

I you message me direct via email or whats app i can guide you on how it is done doing over this forum will be to much to explain etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-peng avatar image
alan-peng answered ·

Hello Matthijs,

There is a display issue in Vehicle demo 2 mode. We have already 3 tanks connected, when I enable vehicle demo 2 mode, then there are 7 tanks on the motorhome overview screen, which tank level display a bit strange.

This is Cerbo with touch 50 with V2.60~26. Should be a existing bug from beginning?

Regards

Alan

1591931575114.jpeg (222.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

The tanks column does populate like you see things with more than about 4 tanks. I have made some changed to the Mobile Overview that compresses the tiles to make more tanks visible. I also remove the pump button if it's disabled. With the pump button, 6 tanks should fit comfortably with at least one more without the pump button. Looks like this:

Enhanced OverviewMobile Screen.png

Changes are here:

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

This may not be the point of your question though. I'm not sure why so many tanks are created in demo mode. Possibly it generates 4 that get added to the 3 real ones.

0 Likes 0 ·
1591936214114.png (43.7 KiB)
jurjenhoekstra avatar image
jurjenhoekstra answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy), hello Mathijs, after installing the Venus OS v2.60~26 a few days ago, I noticed a minor issue. I have the Venus GX installed on a yacht and it is connected to a NMEA2000 network. Part of the network is on 24/7 for monitoring AC/DC and tank values. I monitor this with a Czone NMEA2000 display. In the favourites setup of the display I can change the label of most values, for example to Shore Power and Quattro out. After installing the Venus OS v2.60~26, it added additional DC values and changed some of the labels for the original DC values. It now shows 4 DC values. The first one with the label Battery, which was actually incorrect and it is the only one that I was able to change, in this case to MPPT PV. It shows the DC values of the PV panels. Then I there are 3 more DC values, all labeled Victron DC and those labels I am not able to change. The point here is that it is a bit confusing to see 3 times Victron DC and then having to figure out which is what.

In above picture, you see the 4 DC values. First, the MPPT PV, then 1st Victron DC is DC values of the Quattro (currently charging). The 2nd is the battery side of the MPPT, currently also charging. The 3rd are the DC values from the BMV. As you see it's inside is green and when pressing Enter button on display, I can see SOC and Time to go.

Is it possible at some time to have a better indication of the several DC values? Either by default when installing Venus OS, or by enabling the possibility to change the label by 3rd party, as in my case the Czone display (strange that I can change one and not the others).

I have not noticed any other issues.

2 comments
2 |3000

kris avatar image kris commented ·

After updating to 2.60 ~ 26 I have a similar problem MPTT are displayed in the N2K network with the voltage on the solar side, there is a problem with the address change does not work, data overlap and another DC monitor.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ kris commented ·

Hi Both, what has changed in ~26 is that also MPPT Solar charger data is now transmitted out to NMEA2000, as part of the NMEA2000-out function.

And, while on a different device instance, their data instances will all be the same. Which some MFDs (like Navico/Simrad) can handle very well; but others can’t.

The (only) solution when using Maretron, Raymarine and probably also Garmin and from what I hear you saying also C-Zone, is to yourself change the data instances. And for doing that you need an Actisense USB interface.

Detailed documentation about those data instances, and other instances, as well as how to change them, is here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#marine_mfd_integration_by_nmea_2000

(chapter 7)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources