question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.60~29 available for testing

Good day all,

A new version available for testing, v2.60~29. Several changes to the previous version - details below.

This post is intended for all people participating in the Venus OS Beta test program.

In case you're new to the v2.60 beta test series, please make sure to read the previous v2.60 posts, listed below. There are several significant improvements in v2.60. The highlights are the addition of a feed-in limit, added ethernet-connected energy meters, updates on the NMEA2000-feature (addition of tanks, and Solar chargers), as well as many other improvements with regards to tank monitoring.

I am, still ;o), aware that above list now amounts to a lot of reading and clicking back and forth: I've started on making it all in one, quite the list. And will share it here as soon as its finished.

What to test & how to report?

The updated Marine MFD HTML5 App need testing. Especially on different size MFDs & system configurations.

If you see issues, please post a new "answer" below; or in case the same issues is already mentioned, then comment on that to say you see it too; or help, and so forth. Please do mention the Venus OS version you have installed; just to prevent confusion.

Change log v2.60~29

• Updated Marine MFD HTML5 App:
    • Allow access to the Remote Console while showing the "you need to enable MQTT" message; so that its also possible to immediately enable that. Much better.
    • Added a control element to start & stop a generator
    • Added a control element to monitor & control a connected Fisher Panda generator. More details on how to connect a Fisher Panda generator are here.
    • Improve scaling when using a large resolution
    • Note that we've found several other small layout improvements since this release - which will come in the next v2.60 beta version
  • Add transmitting custom names of tanks & temperature measurements to the VRM Portal - now they are visible in the Device list as well as the Advanced page
  • Fix an issue when using an older VictronConnect version to connect to Bluetooth on the Cerbo GX
  • Fix an issue related to kWh counters when using the AC Current Sensor and the related AC Current Sensor Assistant in the Multis and Quattros.
  • Small improvement when monitoring a tank level remotely and or through NMEA2000 (show Error when there is an Error, instead of showing OK when there is an Error).

Thats it for this version - all the best & have a good weekend,

Matthijs Vader

Venus OS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

teemischer avatar image teemischer commented Ā·

Some feedback from my side:

EM24 Ethernet(!) Meter correctly detected through Modbus scan.

Also configurable now, as expected.

But: It is still not listed under "Energy Meters" in the settings section.

Will this be fixed?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ teemischer commented Ā·

Hi @teemischer, no its listed under a different menu - its a bit confusing but for now remains like that. Too much work & thus too much delay to fix that now.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
4 Answers
offpist avatar image
offpist answered Ā·

My questions are mainly Cerbo-> NMEA2000 related.

I have REC-BMS over CAN for main battery, and Smartshunt for start/thrusters.

On the NEMA2000 network i have Axiom MFD with newest SW.

The Cerbo seems to be comfused on what device to read the data from.

VoltBAT1 will switch between reading REC BMS and then Smartshunt. For example it will read 13V one second and then 13,5V next second.

VoltBat2 will send data from MPPT-PV, this will be 60V in my system.

AmpBAT1 will switch between no more than 3 devices. Ampere from REC, Ampere from Smartshunt and then Ampere from Quatro(DC). So this reading will jump from -5A to 12A to 0A.

AmpBat2 will be the data from MPPT-PV, this will be like 10Amps.

SOCBAT1 will be 0% when only REC is connected. Its not that its not sending any data, its actually sending 0% SOC.

When Smartshunt is connected it will then send this reading instead. It does not matter if i change different prefered battery monitor in Cerbo, or even disable it.

SOCBat2 there is no data, even though 2 batteri monitors are present.

Lastly, i have 3 NMEA2000 tank sensors all showing on MDF and Raymarine I70 instruments but i dont see them in the Cerbo, where should this be displayed?

It would be really cool to have two temp sensors connected to Cerbo and then have this transmitted as Alternator1 and Alternator on the NMEA2000 network.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi @Offpist,

> The Cerbo seems to be comfused on what device to read the data from. VoltBAT1 will switch between reading REC BMS and then Smartshunt. For example it will read 13V one second and then 13,5V next second.

I think the issue is not the Cerbo itself being confused, but its sending out data on N2K with all data instances the same. Which for some MFDs works (like Simrad), but Raymarine requires the data instances to be modified by hand. Details here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:mfd-raymarine, see last chapter.

> Lastly, i have 3 NMEA2000 tank sensors all showing on MDF and Raymarine I70 instruments but i don't see them in the Cerbo, where should this be displayed?

In the main device list on the Cerbo. What type tank sensors do you have and did you check our manual to see if they are compatible? https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#connecting_nmea-2000_tank_senders.

> It would be really cool to have two temp sensors connected to Cerbo and then have this transmitted as Alternator1 and Alternator on the NMEA2000 network.

At the moment we have no plans to add transmitting temperatures to the NMEA2000-out function - sorry.

best regards,

Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
optingoutofnormal avatar image
optingoutofnormal answered Ā·

Installed the update and the marine app on an iPad now shows the mobile view in landscape that is not scrollable instead of the desktop view that showed all the data in 2 columns.

4 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi @Optingoutofnormal, thank you! I'll forward to the people involved.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi @Optingoutofnormal, we made various improvements, can you try v2.60~34 (the latest one) and comment in that post if all works well? Thank you!

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/56217/venus-os-v26034-available-for-testing.html

0 Likes 0 Ā·
optingoutofnormal avatar image optingoutofnormal mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Thank you, so far all is working well for me both in landscape and portrait on my Ipad. Could you explain the order that the units appear and if it could be customizable? When in portrait the solar data shifts to the second page. Is it possible to designate the max amperage control to be at the bottom so that all the data would remain on a single page?

Justin

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ optingoutofnormal commented Ā·

Hi Justin - well its customizable by changing the source code, but thats probably not what you mean :).

the answer is no - no configurability - sorry.

could you post a few screenshots so I can see what youā€™re seeing?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered Ā·

Note: for raspi pi owners using this version 2.60.29 you will lose the screen function can't calibrate, buttons don't work etc.

2 comments
2 |3000

Rob, nothing changed between ~28 & 29 regarding the raspberrypis. Nothing changed for them for a ling time - what do you mean?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi

Did a second reinstall update backup from Ver 2.60.28 and it worked OK again.

So Ver 2.60.29 is running OK with no further issues on rapsi to report.

What could of caused it was a missed screen calibration on auto boot up from the script file.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
arturo avatar image
arturo answered Ā·

Among other improvements, something very useful that I would add, would be the possible activation of the second relay, depending on the value of the analog or digital inputs available. With this we can disconnect for example the activation of the electric toilet in case of having the sewage tank at 100%.

9 comments
2 |3000

Hi Arturo,

For fully freely programmable io, checkout this project (still in progress but beta downloads available)

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:extended

And then specifically Node-RED; though SignalK might be of interest to you as well.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
arturo avatar image arturo mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

thanks for the information, I just installed this firmware now I have to learn about programming.

Another question that arises.

I use capacitive sensors for my tanks.

Would there be a way to connect it directly to the CerboGX?

thanks greetings

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ arturo commented Ā·

Enjoy the learning! Wrt capacitive senders: I dont know sorry. Maybe someone else can help

0 Likes 0 Ā·
arturo avatar image arturo mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

So I have to think about looking for resistive sensors for my tanks.

Do you recommend a model?

I already ran the relay with the tank input as variable and it worked perfectly

NODE-RED is perfect for making inventions

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
trygvelu avatar image trygvelu arturo commented Ā·

What make/model of capacitive sensor are you using? Seems to me many of these "capacitive" sensors have resistive output interfaces, e.g. 10-180ohm

0 Likes 0 Ā·
arturo avatar image arturo trygvelu commented Ā·

the sensor I was using is votronic 5545 with 0-2.2v output

0 Likes 0 Ā·
trygvelu avatar image trygvelu arturo commented Ā·

Then, with a common ground, it should be possible to connect the 0-2.2V signal directly to the ADC?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem trygvelu commented Ā·

It depends on Cerbo's load on the input and what voltage range it expects.

Resistive sensors convert to a voltage by way of a pull-up to some stable voltage source inside Cerbo. The sensor's output voltage will be pulled in the direction of the pull-up. Depending on relative impedances, this could bias the voltage out of acceptable range.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
arturo avatar image arturo Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

I already tested with resistance but it did not work, the sensor output works with positive signals, unlike cerbo that uses negative signals.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources