question

adventures-with-the-missus avatar image
adventures-with-the-missus asked

Confirmation on Lynx/Battery Settings

Hi all, I am having an issue with 2 x 200ah ATG slimline batteries purchased but I'm not sure if it is actually the batteries, or related settings, and I know you guys are Victron gurus.

My Victron setup consists of 3000/12/120 Inverter, 100/50 MPPT for roof solar (2 x 180w Enerdrive Panels), 100/30 MPPT for Portable Solar (ATG blanket), Lynx Shunt, Lynx Distrubutor, Orion XS 50a DC Charger and Cerbo GX with a 70 screen. After finally putting it all together, and setting it up I think correctly, it's been running ok, system only runs a 130l Bushmans Upright, 2 x 40l EvaKool drawer fridges, couple of USB outlets and some strip lighting for the canopy, all running off a touch switch system. Problem is, when I switched all 3 fridges on the other day, it stated the ah draw was between 6-8ah (one drawer fridge running as freezer) and was at 73% on the Cerbo screen, however shortly shut down with no power at all from anything, even running a test light across the terminals produced no result.

I ran a charger via anderson plug input linked to the Shunt/Distributor which bought everything back up, then ran power to the inverter to initiate charging and left it overnight/next day with no draw on the system. At 6am last night I switched the 3 fridges on and overnight to 9am it dropped to 73% on the Cerbo again, then when I changed the charged voltage setting from 13.7v to 14.2v it dropped to 39% on the Cerbo screen.

I leave for a Cape York trip in a day for a month and am now worried something is seriously not right with the system, I've put the batteries back on charge through the inverter, and attached are the current settings through the Cerbo battery bank menu, note I cannot change the Peukert exponent at all, but it might be because I am running the Beta V2.0 Gui? Appreciate any help or insights you can give, they are non Bluetooth batteries, so I'm kind of stuck here.

448840203-1221436392223952-6798504277756431428-n.jpg

battery chargingLithium Batterylynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Your settings are reasonable, the Peukert is recommended to be slightly over 1 for lithium, perhaps 1.05 max but this will not be your issue. Your issue was possibly the low charged voltage setting which with limited solar power could synchronise the SOC to 100% before the batteries were actually at 100%, hence they may have benn say 30% full and you thought 100% so they ran out. The BMS disconnect should have prevented any damage. Setting charged voltage to 14.2V is good, so now let them charge up and do not rely on the SOC but watch the voltage and current and make sure they get to 14.4V or whatever you have set for absorption and the current gets down to a low figure and the charger goes to a float setting around 13.5V or whatever you have set. Then you know they will be full. Then make sure the SOC has gone to 100%.

Another point, new system, why are you running beta firmware, precautionary principle would be to always start up a new system on stable firmware.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks for that, appreciate the reply.

System has been running for a month or two, moved to the beta, as primarily from what I read about peoples issues with it, most seemed to be around the inverter side of things which will be rarely used with this setup. I haven't had any issues up until now, which was only when the 3rd fridge was introduced to the system, it was more the incorrect percentages shown and the shut off which has me a bit jumpy.

I updated all devices tonight except the Cerbo which came up with an error saying not authorized, so will look into that a bit further tomorrow. If it continues to have visual errors, I'll drop back to the non beta and confirm that I can change things like the Peukert, as it wont allow any change at all for me on the Beta currently.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?