question

brambaut avatar image

Lynx Power In left or right of Lynx Shunt?

I have to install two 48V 2600Ah parallel OPvZ battery banks to a Lynx Shunt so I will use a Lynx Power-In to connect these batteries to the Lynx Shunt.

As far as I know, you are supposed to connect the batteries to the left side of the Lynx Shunt and the chargers + load (via a Lynx Distributor) to the right side.

However, in my setup it would be more convenient to swap both sides. So is it mandatory to connect the batteries at the left side of the Shunt and the loads/chargers at the right side or can I swap both sides?

Thanks a lot for a quick reply!

lynx shunt
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bluelghtning avatar image
bluelghtning answered ·

Just as an FYI, you can reverse the setup and have the batteries on the right and the load on the left of the shunt. There are a total of 5 small wires on the shunt you'll see and I reversed all 5 from one side to the other and it works exactly how it's supposed to. I had my entire system built before the thought of the shunt being backwards even crossed my mind and had a minor meltdown until someone pointed that out with the wires. Whew, saved the day.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stevo07 avatar image
stevo07 answered ·
4 comments

Thanks Stevo07, I found and have read that before, but as the left/right guideline is only mentioned in the image and not in the details about the Lynx POWER IN, I am wondering whether this is really mandatory or just an advise.

I would like to keep the 120mm2 wires from the battery banks as short as possible. That is why, as said, in my setup it would be more convenient to connect the batteries on the right side of the Shunt.

Anybody from VE around here that can verify whether this is possible?

The shunt has a battery side and a load side so you need to have this the right way around otherwise you will get wrong readings

If you connect the batteries to the right side the shunt will measure the current flow wrong. Charging current will measured as discharge current and vise versa.

brambaut avatar image brambaut Matthias Lange - DE ♦ ·

OK, thanks a lot!

brambaut avatar image
brambaut answered ·

Anybody who knows whether I can connect the POWER IN to the right side of the Lynx Shunt and the DISTRIBUTOR to the left side?

I'm finalizing the setup drawings for this project which has to be installed next week in Tanzania so I need to know quite urgently whether this is possible or not. Thanks for a quick reply!