temperature compensation Image

temperature compensation

Multiplus ignores Temperature compensation DVCC from Cerbo

I have set DVCC on my Cerbo GX to share its temperature and selected temperature sensor 1 . Have checked the sensor is giving the correct temperature but the Multiplus still transitions from Bulk to Absorption at the normal set point for 25c which is 28.8 volts when the temperature is 10c degrees lower so should not end Bulk until 29.4 . Is this a knows issue or is there anything can do to correct this ..

ako asked
JohnC commented ·

0 Answers

Flooded lead acid battery bank rose to 44c while charging. VE Config not saving temp compensation.

Yikes! That's hot. Is this something I should worry about? The room the batteries are in also houses our generator (extremely well ventilated building an forced commercial fan air circulation on at all times while the generator is running). So when we charge, the room heats up because of the heat from the generator running.

Is this kind of a temp nothing to worry about?

I have a 24v bank of twelve Rolls fla's: 6v 235ah batteries wired in 3 sets of 4 in series and then those 3 sets wired in parallel to make a bank of 24v 705ah. I have tried to change the temperature compensation in the VE Configure to be the -48mv/deg that the batteries require but VE Config will not allow the change to be saved for some reason. Not sure what I'm doing wrong!

I was able to change it in Victron Connect bluetooth app though... is that enough?

Thanks Community

[image]

This was the temp in the room as the charge began:

[image]

This is what the room temp rose to:

[image]

allswell asked
snoobler answered ·

1 Answer

Temperature compensation settin

I am having difficulty interpreting the user manual temperature compensation settings for my Rolls S12 AGM battery bank: 8x 12V batteries (divided into 2x 48V banks). They are charged (solar and generator only) via an EasySolar which is connected to a battery temp sensor.

The manual states:

[image]

Am I right to understand that the table above is for use in a setup that needs to be adjusted manually according to fluctuations in the battery temperature?

So I think I should be going by the "NOTE:..." paragraph and the text in bold rather than the highlighted column in the table.

I do not know the number of "cells" I have and should use in the 4mV/C/Cell calculation.

In Victron Connect the setting I am using (a Victron Gel preset) is currently -64.80mV per C. This is for the whole battery bank. Do I alter this to -96mV for the Rolls?

Very grateful for any help.

hastings asked
klim8skeptic answered ·

1 Answer

VICTRON temperature compensation graph

Hallo, I can't understand the temperature compensation graph in vicyron Mppt manual.

[image]

Image Caption

I understand why at above or below certain temperature it stops the compensation.

But I don't understand why between 50.and 60 C, it totally stop the charging, and then it resume the charging without compensation above 60 C!!

At the same way I don't understand why below -30C, it not only block the compensation,but it eliminates the compensation and charge at 25C voltage.

It's a very strange settings.

I now some Mppt controller permit to set 2 limit voltages for compensation. So , simply above and below certain temperatures,they stop the increase and decrease of voltage.

Thanks you

Fra asked
Mike Dorsett answered ·

1 Answer

Using more than one temperature sensor.

[image]

Hi,

In a typical setup, one is allowed to have only one temperature sensor for the battery bank to be charged. All chargers are designed to listen to one single sensor. It makes perfect sense when you have just one battery or two batteries sitting “right next to” each other. But in real life a service/domestic/house bank consists of multiple batteries. In this situation, temperature measurement of all batteries in the bank is not possible. In the attached photo, you see two batteries sitting close to each other. The gap in betwen them is approx 6 cm. While one battery is 87 degrees celcius, the other one is 33. Assume that the temperature sensor was fitted on the one which is 33 degrees. The charger would continue charging without knowing that the other one is 87. This happened to a client of mine which had no temperature sensor and even a charger which has no temperature sensor input. He just had pure lock. I was nearby.

In a lithium setup, bms keeps an eye on each battery’s temperature. So it is obvious that it is possible to handle more than one temperature inputs. But it is not possible to do this in a lead acid setup (or a setup with non-smart batteries).

What can be done so that Victron chargers measure each individual battery in the bank?

Cheers.

Doruk Kocuk asked
harold answered ·

3 Answers

Victron Smart Solar Controller temperature compensation

I have a Victron Smart Solar 100/30 controller with the latest updated firmware. My two six volt golf cart batteries have a temperature compensation of -2.8mv/cell/°F.

In the Victron Connect app it says to enter the temperature compensation value for the whole battery which would be -16.8mv. The app limits the compensation value to +-16.66mv so I can't set it properly.

It also appears to be applying the compensation backwards. The temperature at the controller is in the low 60s at night so the controller should be compensating based on that temperature from what I understand. But if I enter a -16.66mv/°F it reduces the voltage instead of increasing it like it should.

Am I understanding all of this correctly or is there something I am missing?

stevect asked
stevect answered ·

3 Answers

(Thermal Runaway?) VE.Smart Network Support on Blue Smart Charger IP67

Pretty sure this was asked a few years ago but wondering if anything has changed...

Any chance of VE.Smart Network coming available to the Blue Smart IP67 chargers?

Could really use that actual Battery Temperature reading...on these cool sunny days right now the ambient temp of the charger outside in the shade and the temp of the battery in a black plastic box is quite a big spread after a big charge (88f vs 61f - I think..the Blue Smart doesn't actually show temp- Another feature request to display Blue Smart temp?)

This leaves the MPPT on the VE.Smart Network to think that we are overcharging because it has temp compensated the voltage down for the warm battery (its probably right) while the BlueSmart IP67 is doing the opposite and temp compensating up for the cool charger.

ghostrider asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

BMV 712 and 24V DC / 120V AC Quattro with Cerbo GX

We have a 24V DC Quattro 110-120V AC Inverter/Charger and want to be able to shut off charging from the Quattro to the non-Victron lithium batteries when the temperature drops below a certain point. The system also has a CerboGX and BMV-712 wired in. The Quattro temperature sensor is connected to the 24V battery pack and we have a second temperate sensor we can connect from the BMV-712 smart shunt to the batteries if needed.

Currently the Quattro only measures high battery temperatures as we under stand it. Is there a way to get the relay in the Quattro to disconnect Quattro battery charging if the temperature drops below a certain point?

Thank you for your help with this.

Jeffery and Carolyn asked
Jeffery and Carolyn edited ·

2 Answers

Temperature Compensation Input to Multiplus

Just purchased a new Multiplus 2000/80-50, 120 volt. Have spent a lot of time trying to figure out all the various settings that can be customized through the USB-MK3. Feel that I have an understanding of most things except for the temperature compensation.

I have just installed six 6 volt Trojan T-105 FLA batteries. Trojan recommends compensation at 5mV per 1degree C per cell. My batteries are wired series and parallel for a 12 volt system, essentially three 12 volt batteries. What I am not clear on is the calculation for determining what coefficient to enter into the Multiplus.

Since the system is 12 volt is the calculation: 5mV x 3 cells (6 volt battery) x 2 batteries (6 volt) = 30 mV to enter into the multiplus?

Or, is it 5mV x 3 cells x 6 batteries = 90mV.

With the default in the Multiplus set at 16.2mV/degree C both of my calculations are a long way from the default.

Any assistance/clarification much appreciated.

gergio asked
gergio answered ·

2 Answers

Sharing temperature between smart battery sense and smartshuunt?

I would very much like to make sure that Smart battery sense can share the temperature with the smartshuunt to compensate for capacity, and not just with smartsolar.

Because my smartshuunt has no temperature sensor because I need the engine battery voltage reading. Is it possible to do this? If this is not possible, it would be very convenient for victronenergy to implement this possibility via firmware in the future.

Fra asked
Fra edited ·

1 Answer

Blue Solar MPPT temperature setting

I am concerned that my Blue Solar 150/70 MPPT will not work efficiently , i have set the parameters without any problems however the Temperature compensation is My Blue solar MPPT will not allow me to set the temperature compensation .

Firstly the default says -2.7 which is way out for my batteries , in fact for most batteries . Rolls Flooded recommend 5mv c/cell ( 0.005 ) , my new Trojans AGM say exactly the same . I can select it and change the setting as with any other parameter but once i select Set to have it saved it doesn't save it like any other parameter , it returns to -2.7 .

I have always know temperature compensation to be a value which will be added or subtracted to the charge voltage , never seen any with a " - " in front of it , makes no sense as colder weather increases the voltage .

The temperature here over a year is between 2c and 40c which can change during daylight hours by as much as 8c ( on my 24 volt system that's .06 per degree so less 1.9v to plus .9v .so compensation is necessary , without it my batteries would be ruined very quickly .

Has anyone any knowledge of these controllers and is it a common fault and worth sending iot off to be repaired , its an expensive bit of equipment but batteries cost far more .

ako asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

7 Answers

MPPT 150/100 temperature compensation maximum value

Hello Victron User, I will like to know if it's normal that my temperature compensation maximum value on my MPPT 150/100 is -30mV...I cannot enter a higher data, For the moment it's cause me problem of undercharging my battery bank in winter season. My absorption charging voltage of 14,5V cannot reach more than 15,2V at -15 Celsius the same charging voltage that I got at +2 Celsius..?? Seem to be a kind of protection on the MPPT to prevent overcharging ??? (N.B. MPPT v3.08, I'm using it with the BMV-712 v4.08 & the CCGX v2.71) Thanks to help me figure it out !!!

Alain Ross asked
ako answered ·

2 Answers

VictronConnect 5.57 temp compensation bug

Seems to be a bug with temp compensation. I created a new preset and edited that preset. I set temp compensation to 5.16. I then went back and chose that preset and it had a different value. This version does not seem to load the saved value properly.

swales asked
swales answered ·

4 Answers

temperature offset in victron connect with victron 200ah smart batteries

when checking battery temperature with victron connect, batteries indicate a 38-43 F degree offset. I reset to default (0 degrees offset) and they quickly go to the 38-43 F degree offset. The BMS allowed the batteries to charge when the actual battery temperature was 22 F degrees. I have the latest update for Victron connect, have reloaded the app. and nothing is fixing the problem.

rob-s asked
nickdb commented ·

1 Answer

64 Posts
59 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

JohnC
170 Points
klim8skeptic
62 Points
ascherg