question

frankvw avatar image
frankvw asked

Multiplus 24/800/16: temperature sensor needed for LiFePO4 batteries?

My Multiplus came with a temperature sensor that must be connected to the negative battery terminal. However, in Victron Connect I see that if "Lithium Battery Mode" is enabled (which may or may not correspond with the dip switch settings required for LiFePO4 on the Multiplus) there will be no temperature compensation.

Does that mean that his temperature sensor should only be mounted on the negative terminal when using Lead Acid batteries and not with LeFePO4 batteries?

battery chargingLithium Batterytemperature compensation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Is this a commercial managed battery or a DIY?

Your BMS will (should) have a probe on each cell and monitor it individually. There is little point attaching a temp sensor to a battery terminal on a managed battery, since you want greater granularity than that for safety and you aren't using temp compensation, since that is the BMS's job to manage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@frankvw as per your thread topic, Yes.

The lug of the (multi) temp sensor is electrically isolated, and can be placed on any battery terminal.

The temp sensor can also be closely coupled to the battery, glued to, or squished between cells/batteries to (near) measure battery temps.

Your multi needs to be programmed for Li batteries, with temp compensation disabled, and low temp charge disabled.

2 |3000

frankvw avatar image
frankvw answered ·

So the temperature sensor is still needed if the Multi is programmed with temp compensation disabled?

2 |3000

frankvw avatar image
frankvw answered ·

It's a commercial battery (BLueNova BN26V-108-2.8k MPS) which I'm sure has an internal BMS. So I understand the Multi's temp sensor is only for lead acid and other batteries without a BMS.

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
You are correct, it is not required in your case.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual