question

jimz avatar image
jimz asked

VRM Shows wrong energy flow direction

• vrm shows a wrong energy flow into the invertor direction. But, technically there is no invertor connected in the system. Instead, I was expecting the energy flow into the DC Power direction (system is in bulk charge mode with DC load connected through smartshunt 500v).

• Also, i can hear a buzzing high pitch noise from smartShunt 500 which is clearly audible in a noise free environment. is this an issue with my piece?. i can see some of the users reported the same with smartShunt 500 model.

** all negative connections (PV Charger & DC Load) go from smartShunt terminal

Can anyone please shed some light on what is going on here

energyflow.png

VRMSmartShuntbug reportdc systemmodifications
energyflow.png (33.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

I think that's just a graphical issue rather than the energy actually moving in the opposite direction to what you expect.

You can see from the numbers that the power is moving in th expected direction. ie Battery is flagged as charging with 38w and DC power is using 18W totalling your 57w PV.

If it was moving to an inverter the battery would say discharging, so maybe an animation bug.

The noise from Smartshunt does sound more worrying. It isn't something I've noticed with my smartshunt. Have you noticed it being at all warm? Are the connections torqued down correctly? Other than that it sounds like maybe a fault.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jimz avatar image jimz commented ·
Thank you for your details.

Let me see if the UI bug is getting fixed in the upcoming vrm release.

Yes, there are no loose wires. seems like a frequency noise. i will check with my vendor on the smartshunt replacement.
0 Likes 0 ·
jimz avatar image
jimz answered ·

Hi @Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff), any opinion on the energy flow moving into wrong direction and flow not showing into DC power direction. do I need to set any limit or benchmark in configurations?

2 |3000

Related Resources

VRM login page

VRM documentation

VRM API documentation

How to change the Owner of a VRM installation

SmartShunt Product Page

SmartShunt Installation Manual

SmartShunt Quick Installation Guide

SmartShunt Datasheet

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.