question

steffend avatar image
steffend asked

Has DC System - Incorrect Consumption in VRM when Phoenix Inverter is run on DC

Hey everyone,

I am running an off-grid system with a GX Device and an MPPT, BMV and Phoenix Inverter 12/800. I also have DC loads connected to the system. As long as the inverter is not running, the consumption values in VRM are perfectly valid, but as the inverter runs, the values measured are off, as the inverter power is just added ON TOP of the DC Load Power which already includes all the current drawn by the inverter.

Is there a way to configure the GX Device to ignore the AC Power measurements, as they are already included in the DC Load? If not: it'd be great to have an option in the menu that states that the inverter is run on the DC system. Otherwise I am unable to reliably log the system consumption...

VRMVenus OSgx devicedc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Wes Humpage avatar image
Wes Humpage answered ·

I am having the same issue with this, I have a few different installations, both identical. One reads correctly and the other reads wrong. See the pic below.

@mvader (Victron Energy) what are your thoughts?

The Chick Inn - reads wrong

1608777205287.png

MeMaDuKi's Shed reads right

1608777272219.png

Did you ever get it sorted? It must be a setting issue

1608777205287.png (122.3 KiB)
1608777272219.png (121.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

make sure that the phoenix is on the latest firmware,

1 comment
2 |3000

Wes Humpage avatar image Wes Humpage commented ·

I did this but it made no change. The Phoenix inverter was a few versions behind. But the screens remain the same. I noticed that the one shed that was looking right, I found that the VE direct cable had fallen out :-(

After I put the cable back in, the values in all shed now read wrong, bugger

0 Likes 0 ·
John Muntanga avatar image
John Muntanga answered ·

I have the same issue. Is this a Phoenix inverter issue??

2 |3000

steffen-graap avatar image
steffen-graap answered ·

I have the same problem too. Normally I have 11W in the DC system (2xRasPi). When I turn on the Phoenix Smart 1600 remotely, the DC power increases. However, it is not the entire power of the inverter on DC, but only a part that also depends on the AC power.

2 |3000

pfloryann avatar image
pfloryann answered ·

Same probleme here...i have 2 multiplus II 5000 in parallel, bmv-712, Mppt Smartsolar 150/70 tr + Mppt Smartsolar 150/100, ESS system. I have an wind turbine and i activated Has Dc System but this DC power value is wrong always...if no power from wind...in DC power value is between -10w and -61w when the value shoud be ZERO.

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
Hi @pfloryann

It's a calculated figure, and will rarely (if ever) show zero. There's issues making these calcs too, the first of which is that samplimg times for each of the inputs varies, so that's why it moves about a lot, and seems to exaggerate any instability in your system. Then it has to deal with system losses like standby power and conversion efficiencies. I've never seen the actual algorithms published (and never likely to), but it may actually make allowances for some kit like inverters in the calcs.

It's 'best-effort' and should be treated as such. If you really want to see what your wind turbine is doing without interference, grab another BMV or Smartshunt and allocate it as a turbine input.

0 Likes 0 ·
pfloryann avatar image pfloryann JohnC ♦ commented ·

It's a good idea thanks, but can be two bmv's in the system? Can I see both in VRM?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources