question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.90~24 available for testing

Good evening!

A few more issues solved, we're getting closer to v2.90 official release. Per just now, v2.90~24 is available for pubic testing.

In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program. Venus OS is the software running on all our GX devices, such as the Cerbo GX.

Thank you for all feedback and reports; very valuable as always.

All details below.

All the best and have a good weekend,

Matthijs

v2.90 summary and planning

The current status of v2.90 is that we finished all open items, and getting closer to a final release. Its been delayed, so timeline for that is still the same, one or two months from now.

What to test?

• generator control and handling; both on the GX itself as on VRM (new: there is now a generator start/stop control).
  • tank monitoring with GX Tank, Cerbo GX, Venus GX as well as the new Mopekas.
  • Venus OS Large (due to updates of Node-RED and more)

How to post an issue?

Please keep all findings organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things!

Lastly, please first revert to the latest official release (v2.89), to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs.

Post about prior versions:

New in this new beta

(changelog of v2.90~23 and ~24)

General:

• Fix digital input settings being reset to default when updating to v2.90~22. Note that anyone that had these settings reset will need to reconfigure them. Thank you @Ceri.w for reporting this.
  • Fix Remote Firmware Update not working (time out error message) when the GX device was installed on a large lan/wifi network with many devices. Bug was introduced earlier in v2.90 development.
  • Marine MFD HTML5 app: use the new generator paths. Fixes start/stop and possible other data not working in some situations.

Venus OS Large:

Consolidated change log up to previous release candidate

(v2.89 to v2.90~22)

Main new features:

• Add Venus OS Large. PLC like super configurability and automation, as well as SignalK. To learn the details, read its manual.
  • Add Wakespeed alternator regulator support (monitoring it). Requires wakespeed firmware which is not available yet. More details to come.
  • Add RV-C. RV-C is a protocol used mainly in the US, by large RV manufacturers. Details below.
  • Add remote configuration of VE.Can connected products using VictronConnect. Until now, remote configuration was only possible for connected using the other types of comm. ports (VE.Direct and VE.Bus).
  • Add support for new Carlo Gavazzi EM530 and EM540 meter. Sub-Family X and PFC is supported, part numbers:
    • EM530DINAV53XS1X
    • EM530DINAV53XS1PFC
    • EM540DINAV23XS1X
    • EM540DINAV23XS1PFC
  • Add support for more CG Energy Meters. These meters count kWh like the ET340, which is unlike the EM24 and unlike most utility meters do. For more info that, see energy meter manuals. It can nevertheless be interesting due to shortages on the EM24. Meter model numbers (note the 27 suffix):
    • EM330DINAV53HS1X27
    • EM330DINAV53HS1PFB27
    • EM340DINAV23XS1X27
    • EM340DINAV23XS1PFB27
  • Add option to configure the UI to show all temperatures in Fahrenheit.
  • Add support for the Cegasa eBick and eNerlit batteries. Details below.
  • Add Generator Start/Stop control widget on the VRM Portal.
  • Add suppor for the new VE.Bus BMS v2. Includes control of Solar Chargers and other products via DVCC as well as remotely firmware updating the BMS in case needed.
  • Add support for Mopeka Pro LPG and Mopeka Pro Water level wireless sensors. With thanks to Rob and others for their help on this. Some details:
    • Butane ratio can be configured for LPT sensors
    • Both temperature and sensor battery voltage is shown
    • Only the pro sensors are supported, the older non-pro sensors are not and most likely also will not be supported.

DVCC:

• Add support for Cegasa eBick and eNerlit batteries. Force enables DVCC, and forces SVS and STS to be off. Documentation: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:cegasa
  • Force good settings for the FreedomWON eTower batteries: DVCC on, SVC and STS off.
  • Better handle BMS disconnection issues: in some cases the solar chargers would not start showing Error #67 when unplugging the BMS. Now they do.
  • Detect Dyness batteries, so they no longer show up under as a Pylon battery. No forced settings.
  • Inverter/chargers: show state as "Ext. control"; instead of Bulk or Absorption, when controlled by a BMS/DVCC. When controlled by a BMS the inverter/charger would never show float, which caused questions. Now it just shows externally controlled, simpler, and more accurate: there is no bulk -> absorption -> float charge algorithm when controlled by BMS.

Various updates:

• Improve Bluetooth sensor menu & options (continuous scanning, see all inserted adapters, and more)
  • GX LTE & GX GSM: Add modem username/password settings, required by some providers
  • EV Charging Station: various improvements (menu, connection stability, VRM, new models)
  • Fix the sign of the current and power for DC meters that are configured as source (except fuel cell and alternator, which were correct). broken since venus v2.80
  • Add missing "Inverter only" mode to mobile overview in the GUI
  • HTML5 app: fix white screen issue on MFDs that do not support localStorage, eg. Simrad NSX 3007, 3009 & 3012. Thank you Gustav for reporting.
  • Fix IMT Irradiation sensor connection issue; after the sensor is turned off and back on; which happened specially on faster hardware such as MultiPlus-II GX, EasySolar-II GX and certain RaspberryPis.
  • Log GX relay functions to VRM
  • Log generator start/stop AutoStartEnabled to VRM.
  • Fix main battery temperature missing, or wrong value shown, sometimes on the VRM Dashboard.
  • Add various new VE.Bus model names (Quattro-IIs and MultiPlus-IIs)
  • Add daily tracker history for Inverter RS and Multi RS, including transmission to VRM.
  • Prioritise ethernet over WiFi. Background here. This is done by increasing the metric for WiFi routes.
  • Fix handling of DC Alternator power in relation to the DC system power wrt showing it on the system overview page.
  • Lynx Smart BMS: add low SOC alarm as well as timestamps to the error log.

Multis/Quattros:

• fix too long descriptions (Ext. control, Rep. Absorption, Power supply).
  • improve the control via VRM for systems with a VE.Bus BMS v1 or Digital Multi Control: for such systems the mode (on/off/charger only) cannot be controlled, and now VRM knows this and will hide the option, rather than showing a non working one.
  • Add option to see serial numbers of all Multis/Quattros in a system

RS products:

• Add low SOC alarm
  • Add alarm and warning configuration: these can now be configured in the same manner as with VE.Bus products: disabled, alarm only, alarms + warnings.

EV Charger:

• Fix EV Charger input/output position
  • Make the remote firmware updating more robust.

Modbus TCP:

• Add energy registers for energy counters in our inverter/chargers (Multi/Quattro)
  • Add registers for Wakespeed alternators
  • Add diagnostic registers for CAN-bms batteries
  • Add registers for low SOC alarm on Inverters RS and Multi RS

RV-C

• Add support for reading tank data from Garnet Seelevel II 709. Note that these products do not have the ability to configure a tank capacity. And therefore, only relative tank level is shown to the user (percentage).
  • Inverter out: Fix wrong DGN for INVERTER_AC_STATUS_1 L2 data.
  • VE.Bus out: Do not charger data for an inverter only product.
  • Inbound battery data has been tested and verified with Lithionics batteries, which support native RV-C. The Lithionics batteries also support DVCC with CVL and CCL. Although other manufacturers might work, this is not tested and also not supported: do not install systems like that.
  • Add support for Phoenix Smart IP43 charger and other Victron AC chargers.
  • Improve RM_RV for tank level transmission
  • Battery out: Set priority to 119 and suppress messages if a node with a higher priority is present.
  • Inverter/charger out: Enforce charge state to "Constant VI" in case of external control.
  • Solar out: Fix operating state as this was always set to 0=Disabled.
  • Solar out: Fix charger instance. Was always 255, now set to 1.

Other Protocols:

• NMEA2000-out: add support to AC chargers, such as the Phoenix Smart IP43 charger. Tested with both the 230V as well as 120-240V Phoenix Smart Chargers.

Venus OS Large

• update Node-RED from v2.2.2 to v3.0.0
  • node-red-contrib-victron v1.4.19 and .20
    • input-alternator: add /ErrorCode, /Engine/Speed and /Speed
    • input-vebus: add /Hub4/Sustain
    • input-tank: add new types to /FluidType
    • remove obsolete input-dcdc node
    • remove obsolete dbus paths for: input-alternator, input-system,

input-dcload, input-dcsource and input-generator.

• update SignalK-server from v1.40 to v1.44

VRM

• Prepare for two more widgets which will not be available while v2.89 is the latest official version. Widgets are a new feature coming in next version of VRM App for iOS and Android.

RaspberryPi

• Add support for raspberrypi4 board rev 1.4 and 1.5, as well as the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. Possibly other models work as well now, such as the RaspberryPi4 Compute Module. The mentioned ones were tested, and work; for an up to date list, always check our RaspberryPi image documentation. Possibly the RaspberryPi Zero2w works now also; Special thanks to @Bathnm for spending lots of hours on this to make it all work; as well as a handfull of other enthusiasts for helping to test and such. Details:
    • u-boot goes to v2022-01
    • kernel goes from 4.19 to 5.10
    • bcm2835-bootfiles go to 2022-331
  • NOTE: Reflashing the SD-Card is required: to go from a prior version, ie v2.90~10 or early like v2.86 or even earlier, to a newer version. Pis running those prior versions will not auto-update themselves any further. As an alternative, to prevent having to reconfigure Venus OS, you might be able to extract the new boot files from the new image, and copy them accross; nobody tested this as far as I know.
  • Canbus handling is changed; might/will effect some rpi installs. See below.

Developers / under water:

• Available CAN-busses on a system are no longer defined statically. Instead they are enumerated at run time. Naming is handled in udev and is optional. All commercial products (Cerbo, CCGX, etc) still behave the same as they did. What is different in behavior, as a side effect, is that plugging in more canbusses, for example a Kvaser USB is now automatically recognised and results in an extra canbus. (Not officially supported! Works half on a Cerbo: the BMS-can port will disappear. Use at your own risk and donā€™t be surprised if some day it breaks, we donā€™t test it). For raspberry pis, the only device for which it was needed and common for a user to tell the system that there is a canbus, things will have changed. It will be easier now to get canbus working on a pi. Making the /etc/venus/canbus_ports file is no longer needed. For mode details, read the code by looking at the commits around July 8th in meta-victronenergy, especially this one https://github.com/victronenergy/meta-victronenergy/commit/e9ba4487c2997f021e7548ddea5e0b16c15bb46c and this one: https://github.com/victronenergy/meta-victronenergy/commit/f3f18a3c521b31a6b6d49ff0c234a59334ead565, as well as here: https://github.com/kwindrem/VeCanSetup/issues/6. Note that all interfaces are automatically recognised, except for slcan: the system only recognises those if something/someone started the slcan binary with the proper parameters. Of which you can see an example in our code. For the einstein for example, we defined in udev that when it sees a certain uart; that it should start slcan.
  • Update Linux kernel from 5.10.42 to 5.10.109, which updates to LTS for security issues and bug fixes, also adds support for Cerbo B1 and Ekrano, and adds ntfs support.
  • Update Open Embedded Dunfell branches: various fixes to low level systems and tools.
  • Various stability fixes to the xupd & xupc tools (which are part of remote firmware updates)
  • Transmit default gateway to VRM as well as CPU temperature; for debugging.
  • Add pre/post hooks to installation from USB stick: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/853
  • Changed implementation concerning the starting/stopping for canbus, mqtt, modbus-tcp and other services that are conditionally started and stopped.
  • Speed up GUI initialisation
  • Re-implement generator start/stop handling
  • More underwater changes on how certain drivers are started and stopped.
  • Change some implemenations concerning tank monitoring.
  • VE.Can: fix device instance not able to change above 100 from the gui. thank you Wilco.
  • Remove mqtt-n2k; broken since 2019 and not used.
Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

12 Answers
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered Ā·

Hello, i installed the just released Venus OS 2.90-24 and tried to use the new EM540 grid meter.

i am using the model EM540DINAV23XS1X and I am using the original Victron RS485 to USB FDTI Adapter cable. Shortened it to apprx. 15-20cm, and then extended it with a ~90-100m EIB cable to the EM540.

At first, Cerbo did not recognized the gridmeter at all?!

Also the original Carlo Gavazzi UCS software did not recognized it.

then i removed the 120Ohm resistors at both cable ends

-> it now did show up in UCS software

-> but Cerbo still does not see it.

Then i found, in some Forum entries that other users had similar connection issues with other meter and the RS485-USB adapter. The solution was to "rename" the Adapter within the FDTI SW MProg to name "USB-RS485-WE"

i also did that.

Now the meter was finally also regognized by the cerbo:

1660931392907.png

1660931406358.png

But....sadly it still does not work.

I donĀ“t see it as a "device"

And... as soon as i enable the "external meter" in ESS, the multis go in permanent "passthru" mode:

1660931470629.png

So.... seams not to work?!

Any ideas how to get it to work? what could be wrong?!

is the 100m cable to long? (but i dont think so, cause i used to run my fronius smartmeter with the very same cable. And the Fronius uses also Modbus RTU with 9600 baud)

But its very strange that i had to remove the 120 Ohm end resistors?! Maybe long cable + USB-Adapter is a risky combination?!

So its hard to find out, if its a hardware/cable/USB-Adapter.... or a Software issue?

Has anyone succesfully run and tested the EM540 already?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pedaaa avatar image pedaaa commented Ā·

OK, we can discard my issue... The EM540 works!!

i tried everything from start again ->

* installed newest Venus OS 2.90-24

* made all cable connections/extensions new

* resetted the FTDI USB-RS485-WE Adapter to factory settings and name

* reconnected everything (without 120Ohm Resistor)

-> suddenly the Cerbo found the EM540 gridmeter :)

YES!!!

1660987077751.png

1660987125577.png

1660987140529.png

all good.

thanks

1 Like 1 Ā·
1660987077751.png (26.6 KiB)
1660987125577.png (33.7 KiB)
1660987140529.png (24.8 KiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ pedaaa commented Ā·
Hi @Pedaaa , ok great! Iā€™d seen your first message, and was already wondering what the issue could be. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered Ā·

Just installed v2.90~24 for two Mopeka LPG sensors. Will we get new icons for LPG (like an LPG cylinder) rather than them showing as fuel pumps.

capture2.jpg

One issue I have found is that I now have a Fisher Panda generator start/stop screen, I have no generator and I have not added generator start stop function to the Cerbo GX. Will this screen come up by default in v2.90, if so it should be able to be turned off like the motorhome or tanks page can in "Display and Languages" settings.

capture1.jpg

capture2.jpg (21.5 KiB)
capture1.jpg (29.6 KiB)
14 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi @pwfarnell , thanks for noticing! Indeed that page should not be shown; we'll look at that.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
phil-garver avatar image phil-garver mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Also have the generator showing up if you need another example.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi @pwfarnell, have you, at some point, had a Fisher Panda generator connected to your Cerbo GX?

Is it ok with you if I log into your Cerbo to see what is going on?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

@jperez (Victron Energy Staff) I have never had a Fischer Panda generator connected. I did have the generator assistant on the Multiplus to operate a dump load via AC2 out but that is no longer loaded. You are welcome to connect, do you need info to find my system.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ pwfarnell commented Ā·
@pwfarnell I can see your Victron community registration email so was easy find your system. Thanks for reporting the issue, we have collected some data that will help us to find why this issue happened.

I have fixed your system so the Fischer Panda overview is not visible anymore.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Felix Thommen avatar image Felix Thommen jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Can you please inform how to fix the unwanted screen for the fischer panda generator? On my test installation it appears as well.

Thank you

2 Likes 2 Ā·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
0 Likes 0 Ā·
ncarney avatar image ncarney jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
I also now have the issue of the Fischer Panda screen, even though I've never had a generator connected. Is there a fix for this?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
gainestr avatar image gainestr jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

This apparently is something that needs to be addressed. I also have the fischer panda overview but do no have a generator. There is no screen option to turn this off. Should there be a Settings -> Display -> Generator option? 2.90~26 did not fix this issue as well. Please look into this and provide a way to disable. Iā€™m wondering if this could be why I am getting 4,000 log files in a 24 hour period or if that is common with only a SmartShunt,100/50 SCC and CPU temp reporting to dbus connected.

EDIT: Fresh install of 2.90~26 and the panda has gone away. It could be some setting that was turned on and turned back off and is somehow still being flagged as being active. It could also be something within GuiMods. However, I have GuiMods re-installed and still no panda. I do remember playing around with Generator settings when everything was still new to me so I'm certain I turned something on inadvertently and the system is still seeing it. Hopefully it can be resolved but a fresh install did the trick.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
damon-blumenstein avatar image damon-blumenstein jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
I have the same fisher panda thing going on, can't figure out how to get rid of it. I have never had any kind of generator integrated with victron.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
juf avatar image juf commented Ā·
Have the same issue here No tanks at all but can switch to this GUI
0 Likes 0 Ā·
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ juf commented Ā·
@Juf Do you mean that you don't have tanks on your system but you see the tanks overview page? You can disable it int Settings -> Display -> Tanks overview
0 Likes 0 Ā·
juf avatar image juf jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

496e436d-2daa-4af2-b5b6-838b4499b61b.pngfa175a3e-ecc9-431e-843f-571532e27ee4.pngpls

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ juf commented Ā·

hi all, fischer panda page showing has been fixed in ~28

0 Likes 0 Ā·
hardy-tuner avatar image
hardy-tuner answered Ā·

for pi zero2w still missing following patch:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/144249/no-wifi-on-pi-zero-2w-venus-os-v29016-and-14.html

after this patch is also working with v2.90~24

i tried a change to large OS, but that kicks out all patches...

2 |3000

pcurtis avatar image
pcurtis answered Ā·

I have just started to investigate v2.90~24 Large on my Raspberry Pi 4 2 Gbyte v1.5 and it is a huge improvement over 2.82 which I was using a few months ago on the Pi 4. It just works out of the box like on my Pi 3B+ which is still runs the operational system on my narrow boat which now has over 2000 hrs uptime since the last reboot (despite using a tethered android phone connection!)

The change from user root to nodered for Node-RED is an obvious and necessary security improvement but has caused me some rewriting as I found I had exploited the root ownership in several places including GPIO access and building in a shutdown and reboot from the Node-RED dashboard rather than pulling the power plug - I miss sudo in busybox but I have worked round it.

I have noticed a couple of anomalies/differences from the 2.80 series which I have not seen reported, I apologize if I have missed them:

• The USB keyboard has a US mapping when connected directly whilst a root login over ssh has a UK mapping - how do I change the keyboard mappings in busybox and why should they be different when first installed?
  • I had to set the time manually in v2.90~24 and, more importantly, it seems to be drifting slightly, it was it set automatically from an internet timeserver in previous versions as I do not recall ever having to set it and it is still accurate to the second on the Pi 3B+ after many months?
  • UPDATE: The drift has reached 5 minutes and I have had to reset the time. Under 2.80 the connmand daemon accessed ntp: every two hours as seen in message log but that no longer seems to be taking place. Excerpt from messages log from my 'operational' Pi 3B+ with 2.80
    Aug 27 11:52:35 raspberrypi2 daemon.info connmand[676]: ntp: time slew -0.022152 s
    Aug 27 13:52:35 raspberrypi2 daemon.info connmand[676]: ntp: time slew +0.046619 s
  • One positive difference is that v2.90 recognises the whole of my 2 Gbyte memory on the Pi 4 whilst earlier versions only allowed access to the first 1 Gbyte

Overall my congratulations to all involved, it transforms use of both Large and recent Pi 4s as well as all the other important improvements and features.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
thank you @pcurtis . sudo is being added.

With regards to the time drift: I can't think of any reason why that shouldn't work on a Rpi 4, while not on a Pi 3B. Probably best to make a new separate question for that rather than in this busy v2.90 thread.

With regards to settings US keyboard mapping in busybox: please make a new separate question for that.

Thanks!

1 Like 1 Ā·
javierpilote avatar image
javierpilote answered Ā·

hello, I installed version 2.90~24 and bluetooth disappeared. The blue led is off and in the I/O menu the bluetooth option disappeared. If I uninstall version 2.90~24 and install version 2.89 everything is back to normal and bluetooth works and I can see my Ruuvi temperature sensors. Any known solution for this problem?

2 comments
2 |3000

dereppsteiner avatar image dereppsteiner commented Ā·

install the new FW and after starting take a new reboot.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ dereppsteiner commented Ā·
Hi both, maybe you are using a Cerbo without having inserted a bluetooth usb adapter? On the Cerbo, the internal bluetooth radio is not reliable. So, if you have a Cerbo and need to use Bluetooth, then insert an external dongle. See the Cerbo GX manual for details.

Without using such adapter, spending any time on it is wasted. Its rather unfortunate but still is what it is.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dmsims avatar image
dmsims answered Ā·

I changed from v2.90~10 to v2.90~24

Now scheduled charge does not work

It is enabled at 20.30 for five hours

Setting is Optimized without Battery Life

If i change it to Keep Batteries charged and then back to above setting it charges

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @dmsims , does it meanwhile work OK for you again?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dmsims avatar image dmsims mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
I have been monitoring and testing and it is completely random!

Sometimes it works , sometimes not (it always worked in 2.9.10)

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ dmsims commented Ā·
Hi @dmsims , that is strange. We havenā€™t modified that code in approx 14 months.

Weā€™ll analyse the logs of your system if thats ok (?).

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dmsims avatar image dmsims mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Sure that's OK
0 Likes 0 Ā·
llindsay avatar image
llindsay answered Ā·

capture2.pngI recently upgraded my Venus OS on my Raspberry Pi 3 from 2.89 to 2.90~24 (large). Now I am having trouble with remote console via LAN. I have tried to access it with several devices (phones, ipads, etc.), none except one of which (windows laptop, microsoft edge browser) actually does work, but I believe it is because it still has the necessary resources cached locally on the laptop/browser.

The remote console works properly when accessed via the VRM portal, but is broken via LAN. It seems to be that the resources for the page (javascript, css) are not loading. Of particular note, the content-length:0 for several items, as seen in the picture.

1661636278295.png

1661636278295.png (95.1 KiB)
capture2.png (174.3 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

llindsay avatar image llindsay commented Ā·
UPDATE/SOLVED: I just upgraded to 2.90~26 and it seems to have solved my Remote Console on LAN issue.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ llindsay commented Ā·
Hi @llindsay ok good. Thank you for the update.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
dereppsteiner avatar image
dereppsteiner answered Ā·

does anyone know what settings are necessary for a 11kg gas bottle?

Mopeka Pro Sensor is Present....Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·
Please create a separate question instead.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
sturla avatar image
sturla answered Ā·

After upgrading to v2.90~22 (now running v2.90~24) the LAN connectivity has become very unstable. Works for some hours after reboot, then the Cerbo is no longer available on LAN (ModbusTCP), and will not connect to the VRM portal.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Sturla , has this resolved itself?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
sturla avatar image sturla mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Thank you for reaching out! After a reboot of the Cerbo yesterday, it has been stable. I will let you know if it changes.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Charles Gibbs avatar image
Charles Gibbs answered Ā·

USB Comms Dropout on Raspberry Pi 4b Rev 1.5

Good day,

I am new to pi and Venus OS, I have successfully installed on a Pi4b Rev1.5, All was working well for the first 4 days, there after I started losing info on the remote console AND the VRM. I shutdown the device using the shutdown script written by @Kevin Windrem on the github community (thank you Kevin for this piece of software).

The reason for a shutdown rather than a reboot was that reboot only solved the comms problem for a few minutes, and then there would again be a data comms loss on both VRM and remote console.

remot-consol.pngvrm.png

In the above linked screen shots you can see the inverter is listed as off if I access the console and then go to devices and inverter the status tab says "Unknown".... I have noted down that this occurs roughly every 4 days, as if something is getting full like memory? maybe? Only a shutdown remedies this for another 4 days. I have a 32Gb SD card in the Pi..

Thank you for all your hard work, I hope you have a fix for me Maybe something I have configured wrong possibly?

System specs:

Victron multiplus inverter 5000 | 70 | 48

Victron MPPT 150 | 35

BMV700

Sunnyboy 1.5Kw Grid Tie back feeding Multiplus on L1

Batteries: 24x LA 400Ah 2v cells

Comms:

System remains the same (been running for the past 5 years) Comms is the only addition to it.

2x VE direct connect for BMV700 and MPPT (Prolific Technologies PL2303)

MK3 Dongle for Can on Multiplus.

Raspberry Pi4b Rev1.5

Original USB C Power supply 5V 3A

Running Venus OS 2.90~24

Regards
Charles.

UPDATE 1 !!!!

Shutdown / reboot now no longer fixes this issue, it is now more frequent, every 30 minutes inverter comms is down I am using the Victron MKIII dongle for can to usb. I have tried changing usb port locations with the dongles and still no success.

UPDATE 2 !!!!

I have now lost ALL USB dongles VE direct and MKIII CAN for Victron Inverter, If I reboot the system then they are up and running about 10 minutes later they start going down one after the other.

I have tried:

Other new standby dongles VE Direct and MKIII.

Also a different R Pi4b rev 1.5.

Same result.

new-remote-consol.png

new-remote-vrm.png

The BMV700 seems to momentarily come back up and then fall out again....

UPDATE 3 !!!

I have now re imaged Venus OS and re-setup the entire Venus OS on the Pi.

So far it is stable, router access via wifi but Pi is 2M away from router so not a wifi connection problem, I tried swapping ports on the Pi and tried using an externally powered USB3 hub but the Pi does not seem to recognise it? Any Ideas there? I read that the Pi can sometimes not have enough power to be able to power all the devices plugged into its usb ports. I am using the supplied Pi PSU rated @ 3A 5Vdc.

Any help will be appreciated..

UPDATE 4 FINAL UPDATE !!!

Raspberry Pi 4B Rev 1.5

Original Raspberry Pi USB C Power supply 5V 3A

2x PL2303

1x MK3 CAN to USB

After these past few days and a lot of back and forth between myself and @Bathnm I think the comms problem has been sorted out. I am using 2x PL2303's for my VE Direct and a MK3 for my Victron inverter. The problem I was having was a sporadic one comms between my devices and the Pi was dropping out, so I immediately went and procured the proper Victron VE Direct cables from our LS, I had another MK3 dongle on hand so did not have to buy another one of those, This however only became worse after installing these two VE Direct cables.

The problem then became worse, with the MK3 dropping out and just never coming back up to the VE Direct devices just completely going offline as the MK3 was doing, unplugging and then re-plugging the USB side of the cables saw the devices come back up for a few minutes and then dropping out again, plugging back the PL2303's saw the MK3 still dropping out and not coming back up even swapping out the MK3 for the new one on hand saw the same result so at the very least I knew that my original MK3 was not faulty, but, the PL2303's although they were dropping out, the services were being restarted, so they were up most of the time.

After a reboot, my devices could start dropping out after about 15 minutes, or after a few hours, once the MK3 was out it would simply just never come back up until I rebooted the Pi.

I tried different ports, I tried re imaging Venus OS, I even tried upgrading to the newer Venus OS.

None of this helped, I then started looking at maybe a power issue as I had read that a lot of Pi's can't supply enough power to the usb ports, Although, the VE direct devices were only shown as drawing 100mA each and the MK3 also only 100mA and the PL2303's were shown as 90mA, it seems 300 + or - mA was just to much for the Pi......

I went and procured a powered USB3 hub and tried to use this, The Pi did not even pick up the hub, after further reading it seems that there are certain hubs that do not yet natively work on the Raspberry Pi. I was starting to loose faith by now after two weeks into this problem, I took one more chance and bought a more expensive USB2 hub that has 7 ports, a D-Link product, model No: DUB-H7 with a 2A power supply. It is of importance to note that the Pi is no longer supplying power to the USB devices. Also note that it is advisable to not buy a USB hub that "BACKFEEDS " power to the USB port on the Pi, I have read that this can cause boot up issues with Raspberry Pi's. I plugged this in not expecting much of a different result........ To my surprise under the "lsusb" command I could see the hub, I then proceeded to plug in my original PL2303's and the original MK3 and, all is still at the time of this update up and running.

So, too see this still working is giving me hope that this is now all sorted...

My current comms setup as it stands is:

Raspberry Pi 4B Rev 1.5

Original Raspberry Pi USB C Power supply 5V 3A

Newly installed D-Link 7 Port Hub WITH EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY @ 12V 2A

1x MK3 CAN to USB Dongle

2x PL2303's USB to TTL Dongles

Running headless mode on R Pi

Venus OS Candidate release V2.90~26

UPDATE #5 !!!

Hi everyone, just to confirm, The Pi4B Rev1.5 is still up and running.

no further restarts or dropouts.

Below a picture of the hub I am using.

img-20220901-151532.jpg

Regards

Charles.

remot-consol.png (30.5 KiB)
vrm.png (42.4 KiB)
new-remote-vrm.png (40.1 KiB)
1662469984868.png (15.4 MiB)
23 comments
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented Ā·
I think people need more information about your system. What inverter are you running, do you have a MK3 adapter, how is it connected?

If you have a multiples that is VE.Bus connected then you should have an MK3 USB adapter to connect the inverter to the RPI. It is sounding like this maybe loosing connection. It could be a USB power issue, so if not connected through a powered hub try connecting it via one.

What other faulting have you done? Have you looked in any log file to see if there are any hints?

1 Like 1 Ā·
Charles Gibbs avatar image Charles Gibbs bathnm commented Ā·

@Bathnm Hi.

Sorry, my fault for not quoting specs, have updated as requested, have also updated the post with another update.

I do not have any notifications, inverter is running as normal, As stated in the update I have tried switching ports, and have also tried an externally powered usb hub, but PI does not pick it up. I did a complete re-image last night and re- setup the system from scratch, all working so far.. This is / was most definitely a comms issue between USB and PI before reimaging. Not sure how to solve it as I have a second spare MK3 doing the same when plugged into the Pi (before re-image was done).

Thank you for responding.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

@Charles Gibbs There is no easy answer. A few things I would consider.

1) connect the various USB devices one at a time and leave for a while to see if one of the specific devices causes the issue.

2) get ssh access to the PI and debug. When it has crashed check logs, check what services are running, has a service crashed, is the USB interface still detected at a kernel level.

Some useful links are

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/commandline-introduction (serial starter section)

Without access to the device and logs it is really difficult for people to help. As I said earlier it seems like the system is loosing connection to the USB devices and that is why the devices are disappearing. It may well be power.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
@Bathnm

Yes, I understand that there is no clear and easy answer, I am a total noob when it comes to Pi and how it all works so will need to read up on how to check logs etc..

Thank you for the feedback. As said, I have done a re-image and all seems to be working, well see within the next 4 days. I do not think that it is a system crash as such as there is still comms from any of my devices local and via the VRM to the Pi. It is more like a comms drop out on the USB. I will read into the supplied links and revert back in a few days if I find something out. Is there a known brand of USB hub that works without issues on the RPi? I took a generic run of the mill USB hub tested it on my PC to make sure it works but the Pi did not detect any of the devices when plugged into the hub.

Regards

Charles.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Good day @Bathnm

I copied the dmesg Dump I am getting the following:

[90950.353820] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90958.288956] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90958.311870] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90961.305323] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90961.817208] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90963.814002] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90964.311683] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90971.311597] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90972.357143] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90974.302574] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90975.299438] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90976.823550] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90977.798527] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[90979.335534] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[91009.288349] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[91019.815308] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[91027.356134] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[91030.335071] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopp                                        ed: -32
[91031.297085] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb s

As I have said, I am very new to this all, I am getting the same results as before.

Regards

Charles

0 Likes 0 Ā·
bathnm avatar image bathnm Charles Gibbs commented Ā·
What device is connected to USB01? Then look at the relevant log files under /var/log/SERVICE/current.

It looks very likely that it is either a cable or power issue.

Is the cable a home made one or Victron one?

0 Likes 0 Ā·

@Bathnm

That is actually the MK3 that is connected to that port, after the reload of Venus I am still sitting with the same issue, I have since tried going up to 2.90~26, and have the same problem, the MK3 is dropping out, But, I have a second MK3 as a backup that is doing exactly the same thing, I am using two generic PL2303's for MPPT and BMV but they are stable since the 2.90~26 upgrade, they are not the problem though. The MK3's are, and I can't think that I have two faulty MK3's. The problem HAS to be the R Pi, which stinks because these things are damned expensive out here.

I have tried swapping ports, but the MK3's are continuously dropping out.

I have a long and late workday ahead of me today, so when I get home tonight I will quickly log into Pi and see what is up under services and revert back tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Have you tried running the system with just one MK3? Having two connected to the snake MultiPlus is very likely your problem as the us will be confused
0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi @Bathnm

I am not using both devices at once, I am only using one.

I used the following command:

tail -F /data/log/serial-starter/current | tai64nlocal

and got this:

2022-09-01 08:55:32.648246500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 08:55:41.980435500 INFO: Start service vedirect-interface.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:05:13.182279500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:05:22.512795500 INFO: Start service vedirect-interface.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:10:33.168154500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB1 once
2022-09-01 09:10:42.497435500 INFO: Start service vedirect-interface.ttyUSB1 once
2022-09-01 09:18:03.430502500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:18:12.759671500 INFO: Start service vedirect-interface.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:22:04.008339500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:22:13.332249500 INFO: Start service vedirect-interface.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:26:08.609882500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB1 once
2022-09-01 09:26:13.884934500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:26:19.134239500 INFO: Start service vedirect-interface.ttyUSB1 once
2022-09-01 09:26:24.409284500 INFO: Start service vedirect-interface.ttyUSB2 once
2022-09-01 09:28:29.780049500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB1 once
2022-09-01 09:28:39.108636500 INFO: Start service vedirect-interface.ttyUSB1 once
2022-09-01 09:29:25.091450500 INFO: Start service gps-dbus.ttyUSB2 once

It seems as though the service is constantly being restarted.

The funny thing is though the MK3 is down but that service is not being restarted? Any ideas on that? If I reboot the Pi via the console then the MK3 comes backup, and runs for about an hour before going down.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards

0 Likes 0 Ā·

@Charles Gibbs You stated

I have tried swapping ports, but the MK3's are continuously dropping out.

and

I have since tried going up to 2.90~26, and have the same problem, the MK3 is dropping out, But, I have a second MK3 as a backup that is doing exactly the same thing,

the statements imply you have multiple MK3 adapters connected to the RPI. If this is the case and they are both connected to the same Inverter VE.Bus, then that is your problem. The system expects to see an inverter on a single VE.Bus and therefore MK3. Disconnect one of the MK3's and test. I suspect you will maintain a connection. You re saying that the MK3 service is not running on USB2, is it running on another port?

The reason you have a cyclic issue with USB2 is that serial starter is running through all the service interface types it knows trying to start a service, but none is starting. The GPS service is not receiving packets it understands so quits, serial starter starts the next service, this is redirect. the redirect service cant start s it is not seeing data it expects so quits. The cycle continues.

if you only have one MK3 connected, please provide the output of

lsusb
0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi @Bathnm

So, what I meant was trying one MK3 or the other MK3 in turn I only have one connected, I was swapping them to see if maybe one was faulty, which is now obviously not the case, so, no I have only 1 connected not both at the same time. Since the reimage and upgrade the devices were all running for a few hours and then the MK3 went down again. As far as I could see the FTDI from victron was on USB1-1.3, and this is what is going down because after an hour of 15 minutes the data stops coming in for the inverter, and, it does not come back up unless I unplug the USB cable from the Pi and plug it back in, or I reboot the Pi remotely as I have been doing, only then does it come back up, but disappears after a bit. I can not see that the service for USB1-1.3 is being started up. from this last dump it now looks like it is on USB1-1.4, but, I have been at work this whole time so how does it change ports? I could also be totally wrong.

Code from:

root@raspberrypi4:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6015 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd Bridge(I2C/SPI/UART/FIFO)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

This comes from:

dmesg

[    3.948761] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6015, bcdDevice=10.00
[    3.957310] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[    3.964739] usb 1-1.3: Product: MK3-USB Interface
[    3.969541] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: VictronEnergy
[    3.974413] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: HQ19438DMU9

Regards.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
what is in the log file from the mk2-dbus service. That might explain why it is dropping out.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi @Bathnm

I have good news, I was able to get hold of another powered USB2 hub, I plugged this in when I got home yesterday evening, and everything has been up and running since then. It definitely seems like it was a power delivery problem. I will update my original post with my findings. Thank you for all your help, and your patience with a noob.

Kind regards

Charles.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

@Bathnm

I have organized via my Service provider to get access to my Pi via ssh. I have run the lines as given but it says no such file or directory exists... I am a nood to this so what am I missing, It can only be me. I know this for a fact..

:-D

Regards

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented Ā·
Please send a photo of the DUB-H7 that is working for you as I know there is an older black box model that has been tested working but the never steel curved one has been confirmed not working by myself.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Charles Gibbs avatar image Charles Gibbs Warwick Bruce Chapman commented Ā·

@Warwick Bruce Chapman

Will do, check my post update #5 you can also see this update video too see it installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxix6rqGpS0&t=2s

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented Ā·

1662470794626.png

This "instability" usually took hours or days to manifest.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1662470794626.png (10.0 MiB)

@Warwick Bruce Chapman

Sorry? Are you calling me a liar?

Are you forgetting something?

1) Like what hardware you tried it on?

2) What model of Pi you used?

3) What OS you tested it on?

4) That the above mentioned Pi may be running newer firmware than the one you tested on aiding in the operation of this hub now?

This hub when you tested it may not have been natively supported on the Pi its firmwate or the OS you were testing on.... Just because it did not work on your setup at that time does not make me a liar..... I have given nothing but facts, take it or leave it I do not care. I have given all the proof needed.

Clearly I have it working have I not? There were dropouts anything from 15 minutes to a few hours prior to the hub install. It has been running now for 6 days with ZERO dropouts or restarts necessary.

Good day.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman Charles Gibbs commented Ā·
Nope.

Your experience is as relevant as mine. For some reason it is working with you and not with us.

The difference with us, which I should have added is that we were testing on the NanoPi as opposed to a RPi.

That said, Linux is Linux and this should be a driver issue and not a hardware issue.

We will test the DUB-H7 again.

1 Like 1 Ā·

@Warwick Bruce Chapman

Thank you for clarifying.

As I said in an earlier post, I tried a usb3 hub, but, the Pi did not even register the hub, that was the reason I decided to go looking for a usb2 hub.

I do agree that it would be driver related, that being said, I also did some further reading on a few of the Pi forums stating that as firmware is updated more hardware starts to work along with the Pi, in my original video, I did also update the Pi's eeprom before going over to Venus OS for the first time, this could also be a contributing factor.

As a matter of interest, when did you do this test? And, hence the reason for me posting the hardware I used.

Regards.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman Charles Gibbs commented Ā·
The testing was done early this year on a NanoPi which is the board used inside the Victron MultiPlus-II GX and EasySolar-II GX devices.
1 Like 1 Ā·
@Warwick Bruce Chapman

Thank you for the info.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
We'll test it again.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
stevomyatt avatar image
stevomyatt answered Ā·

Hello,

I see that the update includes:

"Fix handling of DC Alternator power in relation to the DC system power wrt showing it on the system overview page."

I'm sure it's on the to do list, but it would be great if the system overview page could display the alternator power from the WS500 connected on VE.Can comms with shunt at alternator.

Regards,

Steve

Device List.jpg

device-list.jpg (74.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

@stevomyatt take a look at the GUI Modes package from Kevin. The below is a screen shot showing just this and more. I am sure at some stage Victron will modify the UI, but till then this is as good as it gets.1662379434515.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1662379434515.png (357.8 KiB)
stevomyatt avatar image stevomyatt bathnm commented Ā·
Fantastic thanks @Bathnm and Kevin, I'll check it out.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered Ā·

I apologise for asking this question here but a lot of us are very stuck without the EM24.

The EM330 with the 27 suffix that is due to replace it is only going to be able in early November and in limited numbers.

I need to find out from Victron whether anything else eg. EM330DINAV53HS1PFB can be used in the meantime.

We have a group of installers who need about 50 of these meters in total.

2 |3000

Related Resources