question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.90~22 available for testing

UPDATE 2022-08-12: updated to v2.90~22

Good morning!

Yesterday we released v2.90~21 for public testing. Various updates since the previous one, v2.90~14.

In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program. Venus OS is the software running on all our GX devices, such as the Cerbo GX.

v2.90 summary and planning

The current status of v2.90 is that we finished all open items, and getting closer to a final release. Its been delayed, so timeline for that is still the same, one or two months from now.

What to test?

• generator control and handling; both on the GX itself as on VRM (new: there is now a generator start/stop control).
  • tank monitoring with GX Tank, Cerbo GX, Venus GX as well as the new Mopekas.
  • Venus OS Large (due to updates of Node-RED and more)

How to post an issue?

Please keep all findings organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things!

Lastly, please first revert to the latest official release (v2.89), to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs.

All the best and have a good day,

Matthijs

Post about prior versions:

Change log (compared to v2.89)

Changes v2.90~22

• Add support for more CG Energy Meters. These meters count kWh like the ET340, which is unlike the EM24 and unlike most utility meters do. For more info that, see energy meter manuals. It can nevertheless be interesting due to shortages on the EM24. Meter model numbers (note the 27 suffix):
    • EM330DINAV53HS1X27
    • EM330DINAV53HS1PFB27
    • EM340DINAV23XS1X27
    • EM340DINAV23XS1PFB27
  • More underwater changes on how certain drivers are started and stopped.

Changes v2.90~15 till ~21

General:

• Add support for Mopeka Pro LPG and Mopeka Pro Water level wireless sensors. With thanks to Rob and others for their help on this. Some details:
    • Butane ratio can be configured for LPT sensors
    • Both temperature and sensor battery voltage is shown
    • Only the pro sensors are supported, the older non-pro sensors are not and most likely also will not be supported.
  • Fix handling of DC Alternator power in relation to the DC system power wrt showing it on the system overview page.
  • Lynx Smart BMS: add low SOC alarm as well as timestamps to the error log.

Multis/Quattros:

• fix too long descriptions (Ext. control, Rep. Absorption, Power supply).
  • improve the control via VRM for systems with a VE.Bus BMS v1 or Digital Multi Control: for such systems the mode (on/off/charger only) cannot be controlled, and now VRM knows this and will hide the option, rather than showing a non working one.
  • Add option to see serial numbers of all Multis/Quattros in a system

RS products:

• Add low SOC alarm
  • Add alarm and warning configuration: these can now be configured in the same manner as with VE.Bus products: disabled, alarm only, alarms + warnings.

EV Charger:

• Fix EV Charger input/output position
  • Make the remote firmware updating more robust.

Venus OS Large

• update Node-RED from v2.2.2 to v3.0.0
  • node-red-contrib-victron v1.4.19 and .20
    • input-alternator: add /ErrorCode, /Engine/Speed and /Speed
    • input-vebus: add /Hub4/Sustain
    • input-tank: add new types to /FluidType
    • remove obsolete input-dcdc node
    • remove obsolete dbus paths for: input-alternator, input-system,

input-dcload, input-dcsource and input-generator.

• update SignalK-server from v1.40 to v1.44

Under water:

• Changed implementation concerning the starting/stopping for canbus, mqtt, modbus-tcp and other services that are conditionally started and stopped.
  • Speed up GUI initialisation
  • Re-implement generator start/stop handling
  • Change some implemenations concerning tank monitoring.
  • VE.Can: fix device instance not able to change above 100 from the gui. thank you Wilco.

Developers / protocols:

• Modbus-TCP
    • Add diagnostic registers for CAN-bms batteries
    • Add registers for low SOC alarm on Inverters RS and Multi RS
  • RV-C
    • Add support for reading tank data from Garnet Seelevel II 709. Note that these products do not have the ability to configure a tank capacity. And therefore, only relative tank level is shown to the user (percentage).
    • Inverter out: Fix wrong DGN for INVERTER_AC_STATUS_1 L2 data.
    • VE.Bus out: Do not charger data for an inverter only product.
    • Inbound battery data has been tested and verified with Lithionics batteries, which support native RV-C. The Lithionics batteries also support DVCC with CVL and CCL. Although other manufacturers might work, this is not tested and also not supported: do not install systems like that.
    • Add support for Phoenix Smart IP43 charger and other Victron AC chargers.
    • Improve RM_RV for tank level transmission
    • Battery out: Set priority to 119 and suppress messages if a node with a higher priority is present.
    • Inverter/charger out: Enforce charge state to "Constant VI" in case of external control.
    • Solar out: Fix operating state as this was always set to 0=Disabled.
    • Solar out: Fix charger instance. Was always 255, now set to 1.
  • Remove mqtt-n2k; broken since 2019 and not used.

Developer related (and mostly raspberrypis):

• Available CAN-busses on a system are no longer defined statically. Instead they are enumerated at run time. Naming is handled in udev and is optional. All commercial products (Cerbo, CCGX, etc) still behave the same as they did. What is different in behavior, as a side effect, is that plugging in more canbusses, for example a Kvaser USB is now automatically recognised and results in an extra canbus. (Not officially supported! Works half on a Cerbo: the BMS-can port will disappear. Use at your own risk and donā€™t be surprised if some day it breaks, we donā€™t test it). For raspberry pis, the only device for which it was needed and common for a user to tell the system that there is a canbus, things will have changed. It will be easier now to get canbus working on a pi. Making the /etc/venus/canbus_ports file is no longer needed. For mode details, read the code by looking at the commits around July 8th in meta-victronenergy, especially this one https://github.com/victronenergy/meta-victronenergy/commit/e9ba4487c2997f021e7548ddea5e0b16c15bb46c and this one: https://github.com/victronenergy/meta-victronenergy/commit/f3f18a3c521b31a6b6d49ff0c234a59334ead565, as well as here: https://github.com/kwindrem/VeCanSetup/issues/6. Note that all interfaces are automatically recognised, except for slcan: the system only recognises those if something/someone started the slcan binary with the proper parameters. Of which you can see an example in our code. For the einstein for example, we defined in udev that when it sees a certain uart; that it should start slcan.

Changelog of earlier released v2.90 changes - consolidated:

Main new features:

• Add Venus OS Large. PLC like super configurability and automation, as well as SignalK. To learn the details, read its manual.
  • Add Wakespeed alternator regulator support (monitoring it). Requires wakespeed firmware which is not available yet. More details to come.
  • Add RV-C-out. RV-C is a protocol used mainly in the US, by large RV manufacturers.
  • Add remote configuration of VE.Can connected products using VictronConnect. Until now, remote configuration was only possible for connected using the other types of comm. ports (VE.Direct and VE.Bus).
  • Add support for new Carlo Gavazzi EM530 and EM540 meter. Sub-Family X and PFC is supported, part numbers:
    • EM530DINAV53XS1X
    • EM530DINAV53XS1PFC
    • EM540DINAV23XS1X
    • EM540DINAV23XS1PFC
  • Add option to configure the UI to show all temperatures in Fahrenheit.
  • Add support for the Cegasa eBick and eNerlit batteries. Details below.
  • Add Generator Start/Stop control widget on the VRM Portal.
  • Add suppor for the new VE.Bus BMS v2. Includes control of Solar Chargers and other products via DVCC as well as remotely firmware updating the BMS in case needed.

DVCC:

• Add support for Cegasa eBick and eNerlit batteries. Force enables DVCC, and forces SVS and STS to be off. Documentation: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:cegasa
  • Force good settings for the FreedomWON eTower batteries: DVCC on, SVC and STS off.
  • Better handle BMS disconnection issues: in some cases the solar chargers would not start showing Error #67 when unplugging the BMS. Now they do.
  • Detect Dyness batteries, so they no longer show up under as a Pylon battery. No forced settings.
  • Inverter/chargers: show state as "Ext. control"; instead of Bulk or Absorption, when controlled by a BMS/DVCC. When controlled by a BMS the inverter/charger would never show float, which caused questions. Now it just shows externally controlled, simpler, and more accurate: there is no bulk -> absorption -> float charge algorithm when controlled by BMS.

Various updates:

• Improve Bluetooth sensor menu & options (continuous scanning, see all inserted adapters, and more)
  • GX LTE & GX GSM: Add modem username/password settings, required by some providers
  • EV Charging Station: various improvements (menu, connection stability, VRM, new models)
  • Fix the sign of the current and power for DC meters that are configured as source (except fuel cell and alternator, which were correct). broken since venus v2.80
  • Add missing "Inverter only" mode to mobile overview in the GUI
  • HTML5 app: fix white screen issue on MFDs that do not support localStorage, eg. Simrad NSX 3007, 3009 & 3012. Thank you Gustav for reporting.
  • Fix IMT Irradiation sensor connection issue; after the sensor is turned off and back on; which happened specially on faster hardware such as MultiPlus-II GX, EasySolar-II GX and certain RaspberryPis.
  • Log GX relay functions to VRM
  • Log generator start/stop AutoStartEnabled to VRM.
  • Fix main battery temperature missing, or wrong value shown, sometimes on the VRM Dashboard.
  • Add various new VE.Bus model names (Quattro-IIs and MultiPlus-IIs)
  • Add daily tracker history for Inverter RS and Multi RS, including transmission to VRM.
  • Prioritise ethernet over WiFi. Background here. This is done by increasing the metric for WiFi routes.

Modbus TCP:

• Add energy registers for energy counters in our inverter/chargers (Multi/Quattro)
  • Add registers for Wakespeed alternators

Other Protocols:

• NMEA2000-out: add support to AC chargers, such as the Phoenix Smart IP43 charger. Tested with both the 230V as well as 120-240V Phoenix Smart Chargers.
  • Add RV-C protocol.

VRM

• Prepare for Widgets, a feature coming in next version of VRM App for iOS and Android.

RaspberryPi

• Add support for raspberrypi4 board rev 1.4 and 1.5, as well as the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. Possibly other models work as well now, such as the RaspberryPi4 Compute Module. The mentioned ones were tested, and work; for an up to date list, always check our RaspberryPi image documentation. Possibly the RaspberryPi Zero2w works now also; Special thanks to @Bathnm for spending lots of hours on this to make it all work; as well as a handfull of other enthusiasts for helping to test and such. Details:
    • u-boot goes to v2022-01
    • kernel goes from 4.19 to 5.10
    • bcm2835-bootfiles go to 2022-331
  • NOTE: Reflashing the SD-Card is required: to go from a prior version, ie v2.90~10 or early like v2.86 or even earlier, to a newer version. Pis running those prior versions will not auto-update themselves any further. As an alternative, to prevent having to reconfigure Venus OS, you might be able to extract the new boot files from the new image, and copy them accross; nobody tested this as far as I know.
  • Canbus handling is changed; might/will effect some rpi installs. See below.

Developers / under water:

• Update Linux kernel from 5.10.42 to 5.10.109, which updates to LTS for security issues and bug fixes, also adds support for Cerbo B1 and Ekrano, and adds ntfs support.
  • Update Open Embedded Dunfell branches: various fixes to low level systems and tools.
  • Various stability fixes to the xupd & xupc tools (which are part of remote firmware updates)
  • Transmit default gateway to VRM as well as CPU temperature; for debugging.
  • Add pre/post hooks to installation from USB stick: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/853
Venus OS
10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

v2.90~21 was released for public testing last night. One change only: fix regression causing devices to not always show on the device list.

I wonā€™t type a new post for that, instead above message will be updated.

1 Like 1 Ā·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Thank you for : "Add option to see serial numbers of all Multis/Quattros in a system"!

1 Like 1 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi, I just now updated above post
0 Likes 0 Ā·
v2.90~22 was released for public testing today. Changes added to above list.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
riprock99 avatar image riprock99 commented Ā·

Can someone tell me where to find more information on using the Cerbo to communicate with lithionics batteries? I ask this in reference to: "Inbound battery data has been tested and verified with Lithionics batteries, which support native RV-C. The Lithionics batteries also support DVCC with CVL and CCL. Although other manufacturers might work, this is not tested and also not supported: do not install systems like that."

0 Likes 0 Ā·
tslewis99 avatar image tslewis99 riprock99 commented Ā·
You need to contact Lithionics because you will need additional hardware. You need a Lithionics IonGate which converts their version of BMS-CAN to Victron. Additionally your Li3 BMS will need to be version 8 or 9.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ tslewis99 commented Ā·
Hey @TSLewis99 and @riprock99 pls double check that with them first, with the addition of RV-C (including Lithionics support) natively in Venus OS, I'm quite sure that conversion is no longer needed. But can't look that up now.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
riprock99 avatar image riprock99 mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Thanks mvader. I am still trying to wrap my head around this. Does this mean that an RV-C can bus can be directly connected to the Cerbo, and receive node red broadcasts?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ riprock99 commented Ā·

Hi @riprock99 , in answer to "Does this mean that an RV-C can bus can be directly connected to the Cerbo, and receive node red broadcasts? ":

sorry, but I don't understand your question. RV-C and Node-RED are not the same.

For any questions on how to connect Lithionics with a GX Device, please contact Lithionics.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
riprock99 avatar image riprock99 mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Dear mvader, I also asked a question down below in the "Answers" section. Do you read those as well, or should I lift it up to this section? Thanks.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
17 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered Ā·

One known issue already: in some cases, Multis and Quattros are not visible in the device list on the gui. They are still visible on VRM as well as on the gui system overview pages and such. Is expected to be fixed in a new version real soon. Thank you @Stefanie for spotting.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

After the update from v2.90~14 to v2.90~20 my Multi Compact did not appear in the device list OR on the overview pages. Rebooting brought it back in both places.

Everything showing up for me: Multi Compact, BlueSolar MPPT, SmartShunt, 3 SeeLevel N2K tanks, 4 Ruuvi temp sensors, one analog temp sensor.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
Thank you Kevin. This is now solved per ~21
1 Like 1 Ā·
trygvelu avatar image
trygvelu answered Ā·

Edit: device list sometimes missing several devices: multiplus, smartsolar, bmv-712. Sometimes they come up though.

I tried updating from 2.90~14 to 2.90~20 (large) on RPi 3B, and base system comes up. There seems to be some changes to dbus-adc.conf, with a new 'board' directive, and tank levels/dbus-adc did not work initially. I just copied in the old dbus-adc.conf, and now it seems to work as before. (I have a HAT with MCP3208 connected via SPI to the RPi). ProductName comes up as 'SmartSolar Bluetooth Interface' for the tank instances - but I think that was the case in 2.90~14 as well.

I also have a bme280 sensor hooked up via i2c using iio driver, and the ordering of the two iio devices (mcp3208 and bme280) had changed, so device0->device1 and vice versa. I'll look further into that, but the script still works.

More basic stuff connected: BMV-712, Multiplus, Smartsolar, and 4G/GPS module (SIM7600) - seems to work right out of the box. I also updated and installed the GuiMods package.capture.png

I'll move on to testing NodeRed eventually.

capture.png (31.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @trygvelu , thank you for updating and checking. There were indeed changes to tank handling.

You can see them by reading the changes to the source code in the dbus-adc repo on our github. For any further discussion on that, since youā€™re using non standard electronics: please make a new post for that.

Iā€™d like to keep this generic Venus OS testing for supported hardware.

Thanks!

1 Like 1 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

One thing not mentioned in the release notes is a change to CANbus to support additional busses. In addition, SOME CANbus interfaces configure automatically which may conflict with previously defined USB and Raspberry PI Hat interfaces. I believe the auto configuration is for any interface that does not use slcand but don't have interfaces to test.

I would appreciate documentation on the changes to be posted here or a pointer to the documentation elsewhere.

I think I have VeCanSetup working to support them but would really like someone to review/check my work.

So this thread is not hijacked, please DO NOT post comments regarding VeCanSetup here. Instead, add them to the issues section of the GitHub repo.

There's a beta version of VeCanSetup at:

https://github.com/kwindrem/VeCanSetup/blob/beta/version

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Kevin, I added it to the notes. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
kurtinge avatar image
kurtinge answered Ā·

Hi!

Really nice that Mopeka is integrated

1. Lost my GPS (usb) after upgrading to ..20. Upgraded to ..21 and it was online again. Maybe coincidence?
  2. Is Mopeka water sensor also supported or only gas sensor?

6 comments
2 |3000

harold avatar image harold commented Ā·

Add support for Mopeka Pro LPG and Mopeka Pro Water level wireless sensors. With thanks to Rob and others for their help on this. Some details:

1 Like 1 Ā·
kurtinge avatar image kurtinge harold commented Ā·

Thanks, @Harold :-)

Next step is to get those sensors. Couldn't find nobody in Europe that sell the Water level sensor. Neither could I find retailer in other places who are shipping to Norway.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
harold avatar image harold kurtinge commented Ā·
Same issue here (the Netherlands), I can buy the gas tank one,but not the H2O Pro

May be I will let them be send to a collegue in Canada ;-)

0 Likes 0 Ā·
kurtinge avatar image kurtinge harold commented Ā·
Too bad.... this is a oportunity for Mopeka which they should prepare for. There is a Europe distributor i Poland which I contacted. Will let you know what they say.
1 Like 1 Ā·
johnny-brusevold avatar image johnny-brusevold kurtinge commented Ā·

@kurtinge

I shop a lot from the USA, where they don't ship to Norway. For that I use JetCarrier from Halden.

You create an account on their website and you get an American address. They carry out customs clearance and forward it to your mailbox/post office.

You can choose whether the package should be sent by boat or by plane. Airmail takes about a week and boat 5-6 weeks.

https://www.jetcarrier.com/

0 Likes 0 Ā·
2fast4u avatar image 2fast4u kurtinge commented Ā·
Hi there, hit up Airmech in Poland. I received my water sensor yesterday. It may not be listed on their website yet but the sensors are in stock. Delivery to Germany was around 20ā‚¬ and all in all just shy of 100ā‚¬
0 Likes 0 Ā·
kris avatar image
kris answered Ā·

The Pro LPG Mopek is visible in the N2K system.

Maretron allows you to change the name and displays as, for example, Propane Cylinder.

At the moment, the N2K system does not define LPG, you must assign any type of fluid available in N2K.

1 comment
2 |3000

Nice. FYI: As part of adding Mopeka weā€™ve submitted a proposal to N2K organisation to add propane, and a few more.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
riprock99 avatar image
riprock99 answered Ā·

Hi - can the Mopeka temperature measurement on the Mopeka Pro water sensor be included in the Node Red command? Thanks!

6 comments
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented Ā·
Have you checked the standard tank sensor node from the node-red/victron plugin? I believe the Topeka sensor is seen within the system as just another tank sensor?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
riprock99 avatar image riprock99 bathnm commented Ā·

I just updated to ~22, but I don't see Mopeka temperature under either Tank Sensor or Temperature Sensor. Can someone help me find it?

Update: I just checked my victron palette version on the Cerbo Node Red, and it is not the most recent version. I updated the Cerbo using a SD card, as it is currently not connected to the internet. So I am guessing the curb either automatically updates the NR victron palette IF it is on the net, OR you have to update it manually from NR, once you are on the net. Does that sound right to folks?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ā™¦ riprock99 commented Ā·

The Mopeka sensors are under I/O -> Bluetooth sensors. Have the sensor near the Cerbo and press the sync button for 10 seconds to get it to appear.

On the NR side, the sensor is currently only available as tank sensor. The temperature can not be read from NR yet, but that is being worked on.

The Venus version and the node-red-contrib-victron version are tied together, updating node-red-victron-contrib manually from NR does not work.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
riprock99 avatar image riprock99 Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ā™¦ commented Ā·
Apologies for lack of clarity. I have the Mopeka linked to the Cerbo, and am broadcasting the tank level via NR. The post above specifically says the Mopeka temperature values are available in NR. So I think the issue must be that the NR version did not sync with the Venus OS version. There most definitely IS a newer NR version of the victron palette available than came with ~22.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ riprock99 commented Ā·
Hi @riprock99 where / what did I write that says that Mopeka temperature values are available in Node-RED?

I think the status is that they are available within the Cerbo GX itself; maybe in other places as well but probably not: until today we had no tank sensors that reported temperature. So the VRM Portal will need changes for it; and could be Node-RED as well. I can't make any promises for when that will be done, but its on the radar.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ā™¦ riprock99 commented Ā·

The latest version (1.4.23) of node-red-contrib-victron adds temperature support for the Mopeka sensors. I added this support after I read your post. This version is not included in the latest candidate (~24), which is why it is set to pre-release on the node-red-contrib-victron github site. Also see https://github.com/victronenergy/node-red-contrib-victron/releases/tag/v1.4.23.
So only option for now is to wait until the next candidate.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Holger Watermann avatar image
Holger Watermann answered Ā·

:21 This did not find the PacketManager down the Menu at all, but the Mods are still loaded. After 30 Min in. the Update hangs, and was not available remote.

After rebooting with powerdown i am back to :20. Thanks for letting us switching back so fast.

Greetings from the Danube - Holger

1 comment
2 |3000

Please take this issue to GitHub SetupHelper repo issues not here in the Victron beta test thread. I'll respond there. Thanks.

https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper/issues

0 Likes 0 Ā·
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy) In regards to the note about DMC, has there been any thought put into making remote control through the GX device and the DMC work better together? When we're actually using our boat, the DMC is very handy and glad to have it. When we're away from the boat and it's sitting in the marina, it's very handy to be able to remote control everything via VRM. We tend to let the battery settle down to around 50% SoC, then a day before leaving, we remote in, turn the multiplus on, and bring the battery back up to full charge (and heat the hot water tank).

Right now, before we leave, we unplug the DMC and re-scan the inverter. It would be really nice if we could just have a check box to override/disable the DMC.

I am thinking about adding a double pole signal relay controlled by the cerbo so I can remote connect/disconnect the DMC, but that's clunky as hell.

2 |3000

Ulrich avatar image
Ulrich answered Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

I updated from the current relase to 2.90-22. Firt everyting worked, i played around with Node Red.

I use many of the Ruuvi Tags and Mopeka. After Upgrade Bluetooth worked.

But then i rebooted. Urks. Bluetooth has gone. In the Menu BT is not listet below I/O.

I tried this on my both Cerbo GX. Same on the second Cerbo GX. (Sorry, no. On the second Cerbo GX the BT Devices take some time. Then they worked.)

3 comments
2 |3000

Ulrich avatar image Ulrich commented Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Ok, now i know how this could happen.

First i installed 2.90-22. (Comming from release version.)

Then i installed 2.90-22 Large.

I activated Node Red. (BT still working.)

I installed the Node Red Dashboard. Bang. BT is gone.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Ulrich avatar image Ulrich commented Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

There is a way to get bluetooth back:

Uninstall Dashboard.

Deactivate Node Red.

Change to Normal.

Install 2.90-22 Normal.

Et voila Bluetooth is back with all the configured sensors.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi @Ulrich , are you using an external usb dongle ? You should.

The internal bluetooth radio in the Cerbo GX is unfortunately not reliable enough. See also the cerbo manual for details and recommended usb bluetooth dongles.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
ceriw avatar image
ceriw answered Ā·

Just updated Venus from 20 Large to 22 Large. The digital input alarms setting have been changed to "enable alarm" off and "inverted" off and "inverted alarm logic" off. I had previously had these all set to ON.

2 comments
2 |3000

Ok noted, weā€™ll look into that; thank you.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi @Ceri.w this message is to thank you for this! Indeed a bug. Fixed, and confirmed by testing, per v2.90~24. Which is not available yet but will be soon.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered Ā·
  • remove obsolete input-dcdc node
  • remove obsolete dbus paths for: input-alternator, input-system, input-dcload, input-dcsource and input-generator

@mvader (Victron Energy) Can you please elaborate if this paths will be discontinued in the Victron dbus repository and what mappings for custom sensors should be used instead to differentiate shunts for battery monitors from other applications.

Also regarding removing remote Inverter/automatic/charger/off capabilities for Ve.Bus BMS, when using 2-wire BMS Assistant for external BMS control, the Quattro classifies this as Ve.Bus BMS, and the switches are not non-functional in this scenario. Will this remain or will you cut the support for external BMS usage?

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered Ā·

Re raspi 4 analog inputs Device iio in sys/bus folder still missing?

If this was installed we would ahve the IO going on the raspi 4.

The raspi 3 is still OK and has the Device iio in the sys/bus folder.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

3 comments
2 |3000

@Rob Duthie There are so many ways a PI can be used, configured and expanded, it is impossible to cover every situation. The PI is generally community supported, so you will need to investigate further. It is either missing due to a change in kernel revision, a kernel module not loading or an overlay missing. You need to compare your working RaspberryPI3 with the RaspberryPI4 to understand which of those it is. Once understood you can adjust the overlays which are loaded to get the desired outcome. Once understood we can look at the possibility of incorporating it into the build process, but it will be low priority.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie bathnm commented Ā·

Hi Bathnm

Thanks for the update, Yes the only thing missing is the device iio sys/bus folder. All the overlays are there etc same as the raspi 3, the only thing would be the kernel module is not installed? How to install it?

As the IO analog page is missing, unlike the raspi 3 which is there and running OK.

To make the raspi 3 work i insert my own dbus-adc.conf file. as below, but the new version device has this. device adc/builtin0

device iio:device0

vref 1.8

scale 4095

tank 0

tank 1

tank 2

tank 3

temp 4

temp 5

temp 6

temp 7

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi All, please note that the newer kernels have changes the way overlay files are named. Prior to 2.90 the kernel would require files to be named with a suffix off "-overlay.dtbo". If you look in the /u-boot/overlays folder on a 2.90 device the files suffix is now ".dtb". Rename the overlay and everything will be OK.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered Ā·

Ekrano you say... Esperanto for "monitor" or "screen".

Cerbo was Esperanto for "brain". Cerbo B1 coming up.

Looking forward to finding out about them.

1 comment
2 |3000

Ohh did I forgot to redact the internal notes before publishing? ;o).
1 Like 1 Ā·
roger-seibel avatar image
roger-seibel answered Ā·

Yesterday yield values via mqqt or nodered of mppts still remain on old values and are only updated with restart of cerbo. Values via Cerbo device list or via bluetooth are ok.

Cerbo GX (2.90~22) and two MPPTs (SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 rev2 with FW 3.10).

Regards, Roger

2 |3000

anieuwstadt avatar image
anieuwstadt answered Ā·

Hi, thank you for the great work.

Have noticed the SoC changing rapidly up and down.

Running 2627 497 on the MP II and Venus OS 2.90~22, Freedom Won battery

Also seen "ERROR-ACTIVE" on the BMS-Can state

1660640169180.png

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi, error active is a good state. It means that error checking is active.

We should update that page a bit to make that more clear. Or at least the manual.

1 Like 1 Ā·
anieuwstadt avatar image anieuwstadt mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Thank you
0 Likes 0 Ā·
What platform are you running on? A victron device such as Cerbo GX or RPI?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
anieuwstadt avatar image anieuwstadt bathnm commented Ā·
Cerbo GX
0 Likes 0 Ā·
matthiasu avatar image
matthiasu answered Ā·

Please implement this change:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/150732/multiplusess-battery-current-doesnt-go-to-zero-whe.html?childToView=150840#answer-150840

It's fairly important if you want to not overcharge batteries in a more complex setup. Bonus points if you make that 95% value configureable. ;-)

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, What kind of bms / battery are you using?

Such change should not be necessary for all supported batteries.

The way to stop charging is make the bms tell our system to work on a lower voltage.

Lowering the voltage stops the charge(current). When that works properly, there are no issues.

Ps. Iā€™ll copy the same answer in your original post. Iā€™d prefer to not have any further discussion about this here. Thanks!

1 Like 1 Ā·
johnny-brusevold avatar image
johnny-brusevold answered Ā·

Hi.

Pi 3B+ 12v 300Ah li bat. 3x100/30 and BMV-712 shunt. Upgraded from 2.90-14 to 2.90-22 which didn't go very well, since several units changed IDs and the vrm stats got messed up.

So there was a reflash of 2.90-22, deleting the vrm database and creating a new one. Now everything seems to work fine, except for the DC load which jumps up and down from plus 10-15A to minus 10-15A, even though the load is a constant 12A. This only happens when the battery receives a charge from the PV chargers.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong ?

2 comments
2 |3000

As you may already know, DC system power is a calculated value: all other DC values are summed and DC system is what's "left over". The other values often update out of sync and when those values are changing the result is often large swings in values.

Recent changes in Venus OS allow a shunt to actually measure the DC system power. If set up that way, the readings should be much more stable and accurate.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
johnny-brusevold avatar image johnny-brusevold Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention that I also have a BMV-712 Smart connected

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources