A new version available for field testing, v2.80~24.
First of all, thank you for all the feedback in the previous thread; much appreciated, even if I haven't gotten round to answering each individual one.
Several issues are fixed in this release, some won't be.
In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program.
The version we're working on, v2.80, has a few highlights: the new AC Load monitoring, the new DC metering function, and also various improvements to the HTML5 MFD App, including the addition of translations as well as the added support for the Ruuvi Tag wireless temperature sensors.
What to test?
Same as before: the new features I mentioned just now. As well as, just like announced previously, basically everything: there are several major changes in v2.80, which can each make things break in unexpected places. For those interested in the details, the changes I'm referring to here are (a) that the used Python version has been updated from 2.7 to 3, (b) the Open Embedded release was upgraded from Zeus to Dunfell, and lastly (c) we changed to a read-only rootfs. All combined this means that lots of tools and packages used will have changed to a newer version, and lots of Victron code has been changed to be compatible with Python 3.
How to post an issue?
Preferably all issues are organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things here on community.
Lastly, if possible please revert to v2.73, to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs, and one of the first things that needs doing in triaging a report is distinguishing between the two.
The plan for v2.80
Development and testing will continue for quite a while; we won't make September anymore :), and not even October. So rather then promising a new months lets stick to the more generic "end of this year".
Change log below.
All the best and have a good weekend,
Changes since previous test version, which was v2.80~21:
- Keep the new wireless sensor support (bluetooth) disabled by default, since in some cases it reduces the WiFi throughput. This reduced WiFi throughput will remain a problem, and the solution to use WiFi and the Ruuvi wireless sensors at the same time is to insert an external USB WiFi dongle, as explained in the manual.
- Remove the previously added Backup & restore settings feature. There are some things in there that don't work yet, and this feature is (unfortunately) postponed till later.
- Increase the maximum possible power value for starting a generator, was 100kW now 1MW. Thank you Jens-Uwe P for reporting.
- Reduce CPU load induced by MQTT, which mostly happens when looking at the VRM Portal Dashboard, real-time type. The (extra) CPU load that is happening then is still slightly above how it was on v2.73, but reduced compared to previous v2.80 versions.
- Tank inputs on Cerbo GX and Venus GX: increase max tank resistance to 300Ohms, thank you Alex Muir for asking.
HTML5 MFD App:
- Show the inverter/charger widget even when the AC Inputs are configured to Generator or Not available.
- Fix fault description for non-VE.Bus chargers
- Fix on/off state buttons for non-VE.Bus chargers
- When configured as a DC Monitor (alternator, and so forth), the information from a BMV-712 or SmartShunt is not transmitted onto NMEA2000, ie its not supported by NMEA2000-out. The exception is when configured as Solar charger.
- v2.80~21: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/102911/venus-os-v28019-available-for-testing.html
- v2.80~17: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/101754/venus-os-v28017-available-or-testing.html
- v2.80~16: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/100658/venus-os-v28016-available-for-testing.html
- v2.80~14: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/98618/venus-os-v28013-available-for-testing.html
- v2.80~10: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/97155/venus-os-v28010-available-for-testing.html
Complete v2.80 change log, compared to v2.73:
(still..) no time for that now, I'll make that later.