question

dsparshott avatar image
dsparshott asked

Remote generator start with 4 wires

I'm currently installing a Multiplus II/Smartsolar system in an off-grid setup and intend to use my generator as a backup using the relay function on the Colour Control. However my generator (a Lister Petter Alpha series) has a 4 wire remote start (grey, black, blue, brown). Does anyone know whether it is possible to re-wire/bodge this so it will be compatible with the 2 wire remote start relay from CC? Unfortunately there is no information that I can find from Victron or Lister as to whether this is possible

Many thanks

CCGX Color ControlGeneratorRelaygenset multiplus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

It should be possible, All the CCGX does is close contacts but when running a Diesel engine there are are a couple more things to switch like fuel pump or solenoid as well as crank starter motor etc.

There are some controllers that take the remote signal from the CCGX and perform a start and stop action like a smart gen MGC100.

I have used these for petrol and diesel, can have the programming required to do this. Cost only about $75NZ

Regards

Rob D

NZ

SMARTGEN-MGC100_V1.0_en-User-manual.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dsparshott avatar image
dsparshott answered ·

Thanks @Rob Duthie , pardon my absolute ignorance but is it as simple as wiring in the two wires from the CCGX relay and then connecting the 4-wire ("GENS AC VOLTAGE") from the Smartgen output to my gen-set? I have read the manual but am still none the wiser!

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi

Correct.

Just need the genset wiring diagram to see were you connect it into.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
engmarc avatar image
engmarc answered ·

Rob,

I have the Onan 3200 which has a proprietary remote control that CANNOT be switched by the Victron closing a contact.

So, I was reading your posting and it sounds possibly like this Smartgen device might do the trick. The question I have is do you know or have any info if someone has used this with the Onan 3200 series gensets?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi Marc

I will have to look up the Onan 3200 data sheet on that.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
engmarc avatar image
engmarc answered ·

Smartgen replied their control will NOT work with the Onan 3200 remote as it has a bult-in inverter per their email.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page