question

elvistherv avatar image
elvistherv asked

CCGX Generator Start-Stop "Do not run genset when AC 1 is in use"

I'm not sure I get the logic behind this?(https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:generator_start_stop#conditionsuser-definable_parameters_which_trigger_a_generator_auto-start )

I thought the best practice was to connect the genset to AC1 and shore power to AC2?

From: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Quattro-5k-8k-10k-15K-100-100A-230V-(firmware-xxxx4xx)-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-IT.pdf

"Two AC inputs; integrated switch-over system between shore voltage and generating set The Quattro features two AC inputs (AC-in-1 and AC-in-2) for connecting two independent voltage sources. For example, two generator sets, or a mains supply and a generator set. The Quattro automatically selects the input where voltage is present. If voltage is present on both inputs, the Quattro selects the AC-in-1 input, to which normally the generating set is connected."

Would it be possible to add "Do not run genset when AC2 is in use" as well? (given people are probably already relying on the version with AC1 I understand just changing it to AC2 may not be possible).

CCGX Color ControlGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
elvistherv avatar image
elvistherv answered ·

OK so as no-one seems to know why I guess I've got to hack it myself.

So apart from making the changes here: https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus_generator is there anywhere else I'd need to make changes to add a new option Do not run generator when AC2 is in use to the CCGX interface?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kw4np avatar image kw4np commented ·
@ElvisTheRV , did you succeed in getting this working? I need the same thing and would rather not rewire (especially since I followed the manual in the first place!). Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
clubbers avatar image
clubbers answered ·

That was for me a good article/manual you linked to. I was trying to figure out why you would have the genset to AC-in-1. Reason is, I want to install on a boat, and then you always want to use the mains, rather than the generator. So, on a boat, you would connect shore power/mains to ac-in1-, and generator to ac-in-2.

How/where are you using your? Maybe you should switch the inputs, like I plan to? I wish they had more info on this...

1 comment
2 |3000

elvistherv avatar image elvistherv commented ·

It's on an RV the reason that Victron suggests connecting the Generator to AC1 and Shore power to AC2 is because AC1 has priority over AC2, that is if AC1 is running then the Invertor/Charger will use that over AC2, in general you probably want this as the generator 9 times out of 10 has more capacity than the shoreline (which often seem to be 16A, 10A or sometimes as low as 6A).

In fact, the Inverter/chargers have an assistant for automatically controlling the start/stop using the inverter/charge relays (similar to the CCGX) which has a "Do not use genset when AC2 is in use" because it's assumed that AC1 is generator and AC2 is Shore Power.

0 Likes 0 ·
Petar Maksimovic avatar image
Petar Maksimovic answered ·

Same question here, just to raise the discussion. Still not available in Cerbo software, much needed option "Do not start Genset when AC2 is in use".
On boats which mostly sits on anchor, and occasionaly in the marina on the shore power, Genset is logical choice for ACin1, not to be started when shore ACin2 is connected.

Any chance this can be included in GX Softwar update?

2 |3000

harold avatar image
harold answered ·
2 |3000