question

whafa avatar image

Best 48v BMS

Hi everyone,

I am expecting a shipment of 16x280Ah prismatic LiFePO4 cells. It is my first experience with non-lead acid batteries. I understand that I need a BMS, but there is incredible selection and profound difference in cost between models. I currently have a Cerbo GX which I understand has two data busses, a CAN bus and a proprietary VE.bus. This paragraph is the entire sum of my BMS knowledge, +/-.

I want to find a BMS that integrates maximally with the Cerbo. I'm happy to pay for quality. I don't necessarily need it to be a "supported" solution by Victron, as long as it integrates well. In another group on DIY Powerwalls, Batrium seems to be the most popular name in BMS. Is anyone running a similar system to what I've described, with a Batrium BMS?

What other options do I have? I'm also impressed with REC-BMS, but it's very pricey. A couple other ones I've glanced at are 123Smart BMS, Tiny BMS, Chargery BMS and DIY BMS. Also Daly?

The two most important things to me are 1) safety and 2) integration with my Victron products. This will be a 16s, 48v (although it's not a strict design requirement) LiFePO4 battery with low-moderate current requirements (probably something like a 3000 watt inverter). Thanks for any input!

Lithium Batterycerbo gxBMSVE.BusVE.Can
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
stxshadow avatar image
stxshadow answered ·

Batrium works quite well with my victron system and my lifepo4 cells. But it is quite expensive too. It integrated fully into the cerbo and victron environment.

Jens

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

You say you are happy to pay for quality, but in the next paragraph you state you are impressed with REC but it's very pricey. The maximum integration with Victron is going to be REC. Batrium does work as well, but I don't have any experience with using it. However if you think REC is expensive, Batrium is even more.

While it's not officially supported by Victron, REC makes sure their BMS communicates with Victron gear. You do get what you pay for with REC. With that said, how do you plan on using this system? Will it have DC loads? Their 16s configuration doesn't support disabling external loads (like DC loads) so you have to keep that in mind. If the battery is fully discharged by a DC load (that the BMS can't control) then it will disconnect the main contactor which basically turns off the battery.

1 comment

Thank you for the reply. It's true, I am a bit shocked at the higher end prices of BMS. But I am making a substantial investment in my battery, and the raw cells were (relatively) cheap considering their capacity, so it will be worth it to find something that will coddle those cells.

The system is ultimately intended as a (probably) off-grid replacement to a utility line coming into my shed, which powers a standard fridge, freezer, washer and dryer, lights and tool chargers. Farther down the line, I'd like to integrate it to my house panel for emergency backup power. I live in a very mild climate with zero AC needs and gas for heat.