question

Marcus avatar image
Marcus asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120-16 and CerboGX with LiFePO4

Hello,
On my boat I am upgrading the electrical system from AGM batteries, 16 year old charger to VICTRON with LiFePO4.
For this I have already installed a CerboGX with MPPT for Solar and this winter I am going to replace the old charger and the old AGM batteries with LiFePO4 2x 280aH 12V batteries as well as the Multiplus 12/3000/120-16.
In the description of the Multiplus I cannot find how to connect the Cerbo with the Multiplus, as I only find two RJ45 connections for a Remote, which I do not plan to buy.
Is this even possible?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ObiOne

Of course it's possible. Those RJ45's in the Multi are VE.Bus, not to be confused with Ethernet or Can. Maybe you haven't found the manual yet?.. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/installation.html

I've always said that Victron comms are somewhat challenging, but you get that with the best. Great choice, you'll love it once you get past the minor detail.. :)

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marcus avatar image Marcus commented ·
I found that, I was just puzzled, because the manual of the Multiplus does only talk about Remotes, but not about Cerbo or a network functionality. But perfect, then I planned everything correct. :-D
0 Likes 0 ·
vtoddball avatar image vtoddball Marcus commented ·

I saw the same thing. The manual only mentions remotes, not that these could be hooked up to the VEBus. It does show up when I plug one of those ports into the VEBus. but it appears that all the features are not available. I'm worried I may have to buy the interface.

0 Likes 0 ·
Marcus avatar image Marcus commented ·
But all the cables are the same, right?

VE.BUS, CAN.BUS, Ethernet -> all RJ45/CAT6 cables?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Marcus commented ·
@ObiOne

Yes, all just straight too, not crossover or anything exotic. But use quality ones..

0 Likes 0 ·