question

stefancs avatar image
stefancs asked

Lithium Battery miniBMS / VE Bus BMS / BMS 12/200 - Low temperature protection available?

Hi all,

the data sheet for miniBMS contains the following lines:

"Temp or OVP (red): Charger output free floating (due to cell over temperature (>50°C), cell under temperature (<5 °C) or cell over voltage)."

I could not find a reference to Charge Disconnect at temperatures <5° anywhere else in either the miniBMS manual, VE Bus BMS or BMS 12/200 datasheet or manual. All seem to refer to over temperature only.

On the other hand Li Smart Batteries have an App setting "Allowed to charge minimum temperature". I assume this will cause the battery to indicate a temperature issue to the BMS, which in turn will trigger charge disconnect no matter whether temperature is too high or too low. Can anybody confirm this? For BMS 12/200, does this then disable charging via the LB port too?

Thanks!

Lithium BatteryBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bluepowershop avatar image
bluepowershop answered ·

This functionalty comes out of the battery.

It has to be a smart BMS battery to use this function.

Perform a firmware update of the battery via Victron connect and the functionality is there!

The battery will disable the charger at temperatures below 5 dgr C.

Regards,

Mark

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bluepowershop avatar image
bluepowershop answered ·

Because the LB port is not a designated discharge port but also a charging port i think it will not be disabled but as the manual states, the chargecurrent will be loweree to a safe value.

Regards

Mark

2 |3000

stefancs avatar image
stefancs answered ·

Mark,

Many thanks for the quick answer. I see there now is a blog entry describing this feature, confirming it is supported with any of the 3 BMS.

Regards,

Stefan

2 |3000