question

ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider asked

(Thermal Runaway?) VE.Smart Network Support on Blue Smart Charger IP67

Pretty sure this was asked a few years ago but wondering if anything has changed...

Any chance of VE.Smart Network coming available to the Blue Smart IP67 chargers?

Could really use that actual Battery Temperature reading...on these cool sunny days right now the ambient temp of the charger outside in the shade and the temp of the battery in a black plastic box is quite a big spread after a big charge (88f vs 61f - I think..the Blue Smart doesn't actually show temp- Another feature request to display Blue Smart temp?)

This leaves the MPPT on the VE.Smart Network to think that we are overcharging because it has temp compensated the voltage down for the warm battery (its probably right) while the BlueSmart IP67 is doing the opposite and temp compensating up for the cool charger.

chargerTemperature Sensorfeature requestVE.Smart Networktemperature compensation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider answered ·

So...yikes! Sure would like to see this prioritized more now!!

Ended up intercepting yesterday what looks like a Lead Acid thermal runaway during a test charge! I think I saved the batteries but caught the amps dropping then going back up during absorption as the battery temp climbed. Everything looks OK this morning.

Thank goodness for the VRM portal - dont think I would have caught this otherwise!

For now, I've dropped the temperature correction & other parameters on the 2 Blue Smarts back to the default values of the "Normal" profile instead of the battery spec. After resting, it seems to be back to normal but will definitely need to do another test charge while monitoring closely.

Question: Should I set the temperature correction all the way to 0? Will that disable the correction entirely on the BlueSmart? My MPPT has had no trouble with a 14.7 absorption charge and this happened on the same battery profile, so that mis-matched data has to be the (dangerous) cuplrit.

1602081749444.png (46.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

esselite avatar image
esselite answered ·

How do you log smart charger parameters to VRM? How to push this to the portal?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
VRM is driven by linking your system components to a GX divorce such as the Cerbo GX. The GX device requires an internet connection. But check if the smart charger can connect to a GX device first.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor