question

Ivar Wagle avatar image
Ivar Wagle asked

Smart Solar MPPT temperature compensation

Hi
Just bought the SmartSolar MPPT250/85 (SCC125085210) along with a Smart battery sense when I came by an article stating that the devices are incompatible:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking

Bummer.

1. Can/will the charger become compatible with the VE.smart networing and the Smart Battery Sense through a future firmware update, or is this a hardware issue?
2. On a system with a CCGX and BMV 702/712, can the SmartSolar charger voltage compensate from the temperature data on the BMV, that should be available on the VE.bus? DVCC?

MPPT ControllersCCGX Color ControlTemperature Sensortemperature compensation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Sorry to hear that your new MPPT isn't compatible. The compatibility list is here. I don't have any more info about why, or if it will compatible in the future however....

2. A connected system with a VENUS-Device (eg CCGX), BMV-712 with temp probe, and MPPT, which all have the latest firmware and DVCC enabled will use that temperature information for adjusting charging voltages.

In that case there is no VE.Bus necessary, the information will transmit via VE.Direct.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi all, for (1): the models listed as incompatible are not and also will not become compatible. Sorry.

It is bevissen of a hardware issue. (Older model of Bluetooth chip is what I recall).

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Correct. That is the expected behaviour.

This was a feature of VENUS added in version 2.20, and announced here by Matthijs.

Add shared temperature sense, and a switch (default on) for the feature. At present only a single configuration is supported: a BMV-702 or 712 with the temperature sensor accessory. When such a battery monitor is connected, and temperature sense is enabled, the Venus-device will send the battery temperature to the connected Solar Chargers and Inverter/chargers.
2 |3000

Ivar Wagle avatar image
Ivar Wagle answered ·

Thanks, @Guy!

So, just to be clear. When the DVCC is enabled on the Venus device, it is the temperature meassured on the BMV-712, not the ambient temperature in the MPPT-charger, that will be the parametre from which the temperature compensation is calculated?

1 comment
2 |3000

Correct. That is the expected behaviour.

This was a feature of the VENUS added in version 2.20, and announced here by Matthijs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ivar Wagle avatar image
Ivar Wagle answered ·

Awesome. Thanks!

2 |3000

Patrik Kall avatar image
Patrik Kall answered ·

I have a Raspberry Pi with Venus OS, connected via USB/VEDirect to one SmartSolar 100/30 a Phoenix C24/1600 Inverter.

I am considering a BlueSolar 150/35 for a 2nd array of panels.

I use the VRM with a 4G modem for remote monitoring.

I want to replace my AGM cells with LiFePo4 cells and need to monitor the temperature, so that I dont charge them below 5 degrees C.

Can I use a BMV-712 with a separate temperature sensor, connect the BMV to the Pi and share the temperature with both the Smart- and BlueSolar MPPTS?

Or must I buy a SmartSolar MPPT???

This is what is written about the BMV/Venus OS and Temperature:

• Add shared temperature sense, and a switch (default on) for the feature. At present only a single configuration is supported: a BMV-702 or 712 with the temperature sensor accessory. When such a battery monitor is connected, and temperature sense is enabled, the Venus-device will send the battery temperature to the connected Solar Chargers and Inverter/chargers.

// Patrik

2 |3000

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic