question

cleaver avatar image
cleaver asked

Can RV resistance tank sensor be used by the VEnus GX? (recreational Vehicle)

My RV has tank level sensors. 4 pins installed on tank. Each has a resistor connected to it. (except for common)

the bottom 2 pins are at same level. The current system uses 12vdc and it will read 8 vdc when they are both wet. The next pin up is 2/3 level and drop to 6vdc, and 4th pin drops to 4vdc.

So if I remove power and just use the resistances. I should be able to get some reading either NA standard or EU?

the bottom 2 pins have a 0 ohm value when jumped. @ 1/3 level

the next has a 68 ohm valve when jumped to common.

top sensor pin is 188ohm when jumped to common.

I believe this should give 256 ohm when full. and 0 when 1/3 or just slightly off 0 ohm.

I've seen many ppl ask about camper style tank sensors and I think this is what most are referring to. There is no way I can get to my tanks to install float style sensors. And if its any more than building a resistor pack to change the values. I would just stay with the original KIB Tank Monitor system.

It sure would be nice to have it all in the same display.

(Currently have venus/multiplus/bmv-712/mppt 100/50- venus is temporary until cerbo arrives in Canada in August from what I'm told)

cerbo gxVenus GX - VGXtank monitorcampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You'll probably be able to continue to use those sensors by using the two pins which vary their resistance based on tank level.
You'll need to work out the resistance at full and empty to be sure though.

There are two main standards, empty - full: US 240-30 Ohm and European 0-180 Ohm. One of these two standards are selectable in the Tank Sensore setup page of the GX.

There is also a third Custom option where you can input the empty resistance and the full resistance that your sender produces.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

So the Venus has a custom option ? I never saw it in settings. But that would solve problem. I’ll check tonight and see how it works

1 comment
2 |3000

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

FYI the custom setting is in the beta version of the Venus OS. It's not out yet but should be included in the next release.

0 Likes 0 ·
pim avatar image
pim answered ·

Hello Cleaver, I just bought a Cerbo GX for my boat in which is a resistive tanksensor is connected to a analogue meter. I really would like to keep the analogue meter intact and also read out the information via the tanksensor on the Cerbo GX. Is it possible to connect both the one sensor with the power from one of both? Can you help me?

2 |3000