question

octafish avatar image
octafish asked

Troubleshooting a GX 4G LTE modem with a GX device.

Hello all,

I would love some advice and some help from the gurus on this site.

I can’t get my GX 4G LTE-A modem to connect to the internet.

I have a sixfab sim card which I tested through the GX by itself, connecting successfully to the VRM.

However after careful installation on my boat, it will not connect anymore.

I just read this documentation note which I suspect is the culprit:

“Note that the GX LTE 4G can only be used if the MFD and GX device are directly connected to each other, without a router.”

From - https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/marine-mfd-integration-by-app.html#UUID-d5fa693e-1c4b-ec20-be20-e0baf8803e6e

Which immediately struck me.

I currently have the 4G modem connected to my Raspberry Pi/GX device which then connects to an ethernet network switch that has (2) simrad/navico MFD’s. The displays share sonar info and other data through the router, along with a connection to the GX.

Is this definitely the problem or is there some workaround or troubleshooting I could try further?

Thanks all…

cerbo gxVRMmarine mfd applte-m
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I think you have to rewire to rule this out. But given it worked before installation, looks as if the indirect connection is the issue.
1 Like 1 ·
1 Answer
octafish avatar image
octafish answered ·

I recently tried disconnecting my ethernet switch altogether from the Pi/Venus GX but even after testing different configs I still can’t get it to connect or stay online :(

Here’s some screenshots, hopefully somebody can call out the issue or give me some insight. Also attached a screenshot of the Sixfab portal. I’m currently seeing Claro Twilio 4G (carrier) network.

img-9377.jpeg

img-9374.jpeg

img-9373.jpeg

img-9375.jpeg

img-9376.jpeg

img-9377.jpeg (3.3 MiB)
img-9374.jpeg (4.2 MiB)
img-9373.jpeg (3.8 MiB)
img-9375.jpeg (220.4 KiB)
img-9376.jpeg (3.5 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.