question

Graydon avatar image
Graydon asked

Cerbo Battery measurement - duplicate shunt names

Hello, Under the CERBO>SETTINGS>SYSTEM SETUP>BATTERY MONITOR one can select "Automatic" or choose which BMS/Shunt to use for the systems SOC calculations. I typically use Auto, which then selects the Lynx Shunt. This is fine, until you loose the SOC on the shunt (ie. system shutdown), and the SOC cannot be reset to any value other than zero. So now the systems SOC is off (is the Lynx shunt gets set to 100%). I have a smart shunt on every pair of my battery banks (8) to monitor SOC & temperatures. They have names (Bank 3, Bank 4..etc) But, under the Cerbo settings, they all show up as "SmartShunt 500A/50mV on USB"!! So I have no idea which one I can use for monitor the system SOC, until they reset to 100% SOC through solar charging.

Is there somewhere else to name these shunts, so they actually have a name under the Cerbo settings?screen-shot-2022-08-31-at-102944.jpgscreen-shot-2022-08-31-at-102910.jpg

cerbo gxSmartShuntSOClynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Graydon

The SmartShunt should appear on the Device List of your GX device. Right click on the SmartShunt you want to rename, on the next screen scroll down to Device and there you can give it a custom name.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Graydon avatar image Graydon commented ·

Thank-you Stefanie. Yes, I am able to rename them, as per my first screen shot. Those are the names. but, in the Battery monitor selection window, they all show up as SmartShunt... Unnamed :(

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Graydon commented ·

Bummer, I missed that and to be honest, I was not aware that the custom name does not appear in the Battery Measurement menu.

But why would you want to use one of the SmartShunts as the system battery monitor when it only displays the SoC of the respective battery bank?

0 Likes 0 ·
Graydon avatar image Graydon Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Becaue, right now, my Lynx shunt is not showing the correct SOC. I had to shut down my system when I moved some batteries, the Lynx Shunt lost its SOC, I was able to reset it to 100%, and the other smartshunts, I reset to their last known value. So they are mostly right, but the Lynx is way off. So,I wanted to use one of the other 'more correct' shunt SOC values as a battery monitor in the Cerbo, but, I have no idea which is which
0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

I would manually set the Lynx as battery monitor and manually set the SOC if necessary to a value of your othe shunts. if the batteries are all parallel, they should show very similar SOC.

2 |3000

Graydon avatar image
Graydon answered ·

thank-you Johanna. I would LOVE to be able to set the Lynx shunts SOC value, this would negate my question. The Lynx shunt has no way to set any value other than 100%, unless someone knows a trick?

2 |3000