Idea

dc-generators avatar image
dc-generators suggested

DC generator as input for Smartsolar 150/85

Hello community!

First time user of Victron products. So a big hello to all.

We needed a charge controller in tandem with our new DC Generator model to have the abilty of charging all battery chemistries, with the added features Victron has to offer in that range.

So we decided to test a SmartSolar 150/85 with the dc generator as a replacement to pv input.

Not knowing if it would work or not, we are pleased with the results! Firstly, no magic smoke(thank God for that). Generator started automatically when LiFePo4 batteries reached a preset low SoC. We used a 48v 100ah bank for the test. The generator produced 70vdc @ 40A(limited for the testing). SmartSolar did the job as expected!

We will continue testing over the next few days and upload a video of the end results.

The main purpose of our DC Generators is to be used as a backup source in case of low solar production in off grid situations, telecommunication sites, boats, rv's etc.

All of our dc generators and AutoGen controllers connect through wifi and can be monitored via our mobile app.

So now, Victron can add DC Generators to the solar, wind, hydro list of input sources to their MPPTs.

MPPT ControllersGeneratoralternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image
Nazareth Kevorkian commented

Very interesting, especially for off grid situations, telecommunication sites, boats as you said. I would like to know more about your DC generators and autogen controllers. We have struggled with DC generators for telecom sites of the past few years as they face challenges in terms of AVRs, power control.

As for the SmartSolar MPPT, I would be concerned of the PV MPPT regulating features that SmartSolars have. I'm not expert in how electronics work in MPPTs to regulate PV power input, but that might affect your DC generator when power reduction function is active in the SmartSolar as the batteries are closing to 100% SOC. Would like to hear more from your tests.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

metz-producties avatar image
metz-producties commented

Hello!

Interesting!

Which DC-generator did you use?

Where can I buy these generators?

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack commented

I am not sure that a pulsing DC source will not damage the SmartSolar.

I have a small 24V/240W Generator and it puls enorm. Around 600Hz.

2 |3000

josh-laframboise avatar image
josh-laframboise commented

Very Interested in this subject the project I’m currently working on is a big catamaran with electric propulsion the customer is sold on the idea of a polar power dc generator 144v 15kw for charging the propulsion banks but we will have aboard a 24 house bank and a complete victorn system spilt phase 120/240v with solar the whole shabang but I’m running into some issues for keeping house bank charged in long off grid trips so I am trying to find another route to use this dc generator to charge house banks thinking this maybe a solution…I should add that currently the customer wants to use the 144v propulsion bank to charge the house bank via a power stream charger..I’m not sure this is the best way to go about it or if the mppt could solve the problem? Is there another way to incorporate this dc generator and will the mppt be able to handle it if I did connect as the input?

2 |3000

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.