Idea

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird suggested

New Product request - Alternator External Regulator by Victron

I use a Balmar MC614 external regulator on a Balmar series 6 alternator. It works well. It could work better if it were integrated with other Victron equipment and could be adjusted and monitored using the Victron Connect App.

Victron has all of the smarts to make an External Regulator. The provision of the alternator field current to satisfy various battery chemistries could be programmable and being able to see and modify that using the App would be perfect. Various nice features like ramping belt load and alternator and battery temperature sensing could be incorporated. It could be included in DVCC and could be available to VRM. The addition of the Battery Smart Sense would make compensating for voltage drop easy.

For Victron to include an External Regulator would make for a much more efficient Lithium solution than using an Orion.

It is the last piece of the puzzle for marine applications with significant house battery capacity.

alternator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

egenolf avatar image egenolf commented ·
Fully agree, for the moment WS500 if fine, but it should be painted blue...:-)
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell commented

With the increasing ability to integrate the Wakespeed WS500 to the Cerbo GX plus its integration with the Lynx BMS I wonder if this will happen, but I concur, a Victron regulator would be the preferred solution.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jw1971 avatar image
jw1971 commented

Would be nice but happily using the Wakespeed WS500 fully integrated and working well. Sure integration could be even tighter but it solves all the major deficiencies already.

2 |3000

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.