question

Paul Lapierre avatar image
Paul Lapierre asked

Fire stop DC arcs

I was reading another post here about a fire caused by improper ferrule installation and subsequent failure and fire.

Wanting to minimize this from happening, I wonder if there is any value of sealing DC connections with a fire retardant putty or sealant (fire stop). If this material is easily removed (ie putty) we could check connections periodically and "re-putty"

Would this offer any extra protection from DC arc fires?

It seems it would if this was oxygen driven but not sure if it is. I was able to find something via "Google" suggesting this may help but nothing definitive.

Does anyone have any experience/comments ?

safety
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·
What i do is have a ruuvi tag attached to all my critical parts as most but not all are caused by high resistance (poorly installed equipment or connection's) a slowly rising temperature or a sudden jump could indicate a problem and hopefully you can take action before something irreversible happens .

Other of course might have better ideas and evey day is a school day.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nesswill commented ·

In the case of the burned Orion, it would not have begun with arcing so much as high resistance connections making heat, which lead to insulation faliure. (At this point there would.have been smoke)

A smoke alarm with a relay the disconnects the Orion remote would work.

Although the claim, on the said thread you refer to, was made that this fire happened when the Orion was not doing any charging. Hence the conclusion it was a wiring issue/mishap. Correctly sized Fusing and cabling is always a must....

1 Like 1 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic