question

simon-gent avatar image
simon-gent asked

What is exactly turned off by Safety Switch Assistant?

I am thinking of buying 3x Quattro 15kV to install in a mobile 3-phase peak shaving system. I want to implement an emergency button to disconnect as much as possible. I came upon the slide of the Safety Switch Assistant as shown below.

My question is, what is exactly meant by AC output? Does only the inverter turn off as indicated by the blue circle on the schematic below? Or do the contactors AC in 1, AC in 2 and AC out 2 also open? Do perhaps only the contactors open and the inverter stays on?

I also wonder what the difference is with the Remote Switch?

Thanks

1701700484117.png

1701700677079.png

Assistantsswitchsafety
1701700484117.png (179.2 KiB)
1701700677079.png (208.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Simon_Gent

The inverter goes into the off state almost like it does when you switch the switch to off; with the exception of the twinkle lights that indictate that the safety switch assistant has been activated.

On the GX you will see the same LED code and the inverter in the off state.

There will be no charge to or discharge from the battery through the inverter.

The difference between it and the remote switch is implementation.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

simon-gent avatar image simon-gent commented ·

Can you comment on the difference between safety switch and remote switch? What do you mean with different implementation?

My colleague wants to use the safety switch both as emergency button and the normal off switch. I am reluctant to do that. Is there any reason why the safety switch should not be used as a normal off button for the system?

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-gent avatar image
simon-gent answered ·

Thanks @Alexandra!

Can you confirm that the contactors AC in 1, AC in 2 and AC out 2 will open? The input AC voltage will not be passed to the output voltage? In that case I would use the safety switch to shut down my whole system in case of emmergency. In addition I would read the emergency button signal with the Cerbo to open the BMS contactor of the Smart Lynx BMS such that DC voltage is also decoupled.

On the side, I would prefer that the contactors AC in 1, AC in 2 and AC out 2 stay closed if DC voltage is cut, for wathever reason, and grid power is still present. In that way the load can keep operating. Does the DC bus of Quattro stay energised when only AC in is available? Can the AC in and AC out contactors be programmed to stay closed in case battery connection is lost?

Many thanks!

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Simon_Gent

A short demo.

I basically press the safety switch and then released it after a few seconds.

Obviously if you have solar you would need to include a way to switch the mppts off using the remotes. I didn't set that up here, but do on our bigger systems.

If you are opening contactors on batteries then you will need a better (fool proof) start up sequence. If you release the switch you will likely see DC ripple when the switch is released since it starts by inverting first and the batteries will not be ready.

1 Like 1 ·
1000014131.mp4 (13.9 MiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Also not sure why the safety switch indicator lights weren't on the remote console. That is not normal usually you see the alternate flashing of all the LEDs.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VEConfigure Assistants manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic