question

Carlo avatar image
Carlo asked

Best way to automatically shut off an ESS system with smoke or fire alarm is detected

The system is configured with two 10K Quattros 120V/240V Split phase with 4 SmartSolar Charge controllers, a Lithium Battery with a CAN-bus BMS and it also has a Lynx Ion Shunt.

I would like to have a Smoke/Fire Alarm external NO or NC relay contact ask the Venus GX to put all Victron equipment is shutdown mode (Two Quattros and four SmartSolar) and if posible ask the BMS to shutdown the battery internal relay.

Is there a way to do with when ESS is been used.

ESSsafety
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Stasko avatar image Mike Stasko commented ·

As for the MPPTs could you place a relay on the PV input side, prior to MPPT connection, as a signaled disconnect from the Venus..?

0 Likes 0 ·
w8dev avatar image w8dev commented ·
What did you end up going with? I'm looking at something similar for my environment.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

I know the Multi's can use an input for a safety switch, but don't think MPPT's will react to this...

Good question!

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mihair avatar image mihair commented ·

If there is a ESS assistant running on Multi and on CCGX then all MPPTs will goes down when Multi switches off

0 Likes 0 ·
Carlo avatar image Carlo mihair commented ·

Are you saying that if the only Assistant is the ESS assistant in our case. And I use the internal Remote switch connector inside the Quattro. Once I open the circuit the Quattro will shutdown and the Venus will tell the SmartSolar Controller to shutdown aswell?

Since have a 120/240 Split Phase setup, would I have to open the remote connector in both L1 and L2 Quattro. Or would the master L1 be sufficient to shut the whole system down?

Thanks

Carlo Marazzi

0 Likes 0 ·
blue-sails avatar image
blue-sails answered ·

I wonder if the birdhouse from Midnite might perhaps be relevant?

https://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/BIRDHOUSE_MANUAL.pdf

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Carlo

I use a NO with the inverter safety switch assistant.

And the NC for the mppt remote switches.

Hit one button the inverters go off so no discharge from them and the mppts stop charging.

Then the users pull the NH fuse disconnect if there is time and walk out.

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic