question

durval avatar image
durval asked

Phoenix Smart Inverter: very little data being reported in the app

SUMMARY: very little data available on the VictronConnect app, more is needed, how to obtain?

NB: this is part of a series of posts, see the first one describing my setup and reporting the first issue I'm having here, and also my second post (regarding another issue) here.

So, I'm kinda disappointed by the data I'm able to gleam from my Victron Smart Inverter when connected to it via Bluetooth and using the VictronConnect app: it only reports its current output power (in VA), its configured voltage (230V), state ("Inverting", "Off" or "Seaching"), battery voltage, and relay state ("Open" or "Closed").

This is way too little to adequately monitor its operation: I was expecting to have, at the very least, a running total (in VA- or Watt-hours) and its temperature. The temperature specially is really weird not being reported, as the equipment itself must know it (for turning on/off its internal fan, for degrading its maximum output power in high temperatures, for generating "high temperature" warnings/alarms, etc). It's specially glaring when compared with what's available in competing (equally capable electrically-wise, and much cheaper) equipment from EPEver/EPSolar for example, with which I have some experience.

So, is there any way to obtain more data (eg, with some other software either by Victron or custom, via the VE.Direct interface instead of bluetooth, with some other firmware version and/or configuration, etc)?

I searched everywhere and could not find any more data. This is my first equipment from Victron, so this issue (and the two others I've reported) could all be due to my ignorance... if so, please enlighten me! :-)

Thanks in advance for all your help.

MPPT ControllersVRMPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@durval

The bluetooth is really there for quick easy end user set up and some basic information as you are seeing. This information is on the introduction page of the product.

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters/phoenix-inverter-smart#pd-nav-secondimage

Sonce it is a VE direct product and not a VE Bus product like the multiplus or the quattro you wont really see much more information unless you add separate monitoring devices like a BMV for more accurate battery information.

Even if you add a gx device you also will not receive the same information as a ve bus product. If you had spoken to your dealer and discussed that you also wanted full feature monitoring I am sure they would have recommended a different inverter and monitoring equipment.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

durval avatar image durval commented ·

Hi @Alexandra and again thanks for your response. I'm learning a lot about Victron products from you!

> The bluetooth is really there for quick easy end user set up and some basic information as you are seeing. This information is on the introduction page of the product.

I must be missing something: the page you linked mentions "Bluetooth is built-in, and makes setting up your high power inverter easier than ever before", but does *not* say it's *only* for that and not for more detailed information.

And IMHO, at least temperature should be considered "basic information", as (a) the inverter itself knows it , at least "internally" (for sending "high temperature" notifications) and (b) not having the temperature displayed makes it impossible to act proactively in case of high temps, ie, I would only know I was going to hit high temps -- and then start receiving alarms and probably have to contend with an inverter shutdown shortly afterwards -- after the fact, and not while the temperature was still climbing (which would be when I would be able to do anything about it).

> Since it is a VE direct product and not a VE Bus product like the multiplus or the quattro you won't really see much more information unless you add separate monitoring devices like a BMV for more accurate battery information. Even if you add a gx device you also will not receive the same information as a ve bus product.

Unless I'm missing something, even a BMV (or a "GX device", not sure what that would be) would *not* give me info on the internal inverter temperature (and therefore not allow me to act proactivelly in case it starts to warm up, as depicted above).

If at least the temperature information can't be pried somehow from the Phoenix Inverter (eg via VE.direct), it would be a real disappointment, and a major no-no for me regarding this equipment.

Re: VE.direct and VE.bus, is there somewhere I can check which information is available with each one (probably cross-referenced by the inverter model I would be using each with)?

[to be continued]

0 Likes 0 ·
durval avatar image durval commented ·

[continued from my previous comment]

> If you had spoken to your dealer and discussed that you also wanted full feature monitoring I am sure they would have recommended a different inverter and monitoring equipment.

In their defense, I talked to them but it never crossed my mind to ask whether the Victron would have at least temperature, as it seems pretty basic to me (not to mention indispensable, as I depicted above). To say nothing that much less expensive equipment (the EPEver/EPsolar I mentioned in my comment to your other answer) provides not only its internal temperature but a ton of other data straight from the factory, with no more effort than looking at it on its display or reading it from their docummented MODBUS registers over RS485).

So, to sum it up: is the Phoenix a lost case re: (at the very least) temperature monitoring ? Should I abandon it and go for a more expensive VE.bus unit like your Multiplus Compact, or try another brand?

Thanks again,

-- Durval.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ durval commented ·
The VE.Bus models don't transmit internal temperature either.

For a list of measured parameters for various product sets you can have a look at the ModbusTCP register list. You can request a link to the Register list from within Technical Information section of the Downloads area.

0 Likes 0 ·