question

codydog avatar image
codydog asked

Victron mppt 100/50 controller not charging battery

I am setting up my RV with solar power and this is my first system. The solar panel is tested and working. It is putting out 32 volts in the sun. The controller is a victron BlueSolar charge controller 100/50 mppt controller. The battery is a bigbattery 12V OWL - LifeP04 - 170 Ah - 2.176kWh.

When I connect the battery to the controller it starts flashing "bulk". However, the battery never charges. The battery is currently showing 10.99V on the front display on the battery. On the bluetooth app, it shows the same and it shows 0 volts from solar and 0 amps from solar. It only shows the battery volts and the 'current state' shows 'off'.

I believe the controller is set up correctly. If I go into settings it is set for 12V, max charge of 50 amp, charger enabled, battery set to lithium iron phosphate (LiFeP04), absorption voltage is 14.20V, float voltage is 13.50 V.

I can't get any solar charge at all. If I leave it plugged in, the battery and the charger just shut off entirely.

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarmppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

When I connect the battery to the controller it starts flashing "bulk"

When the blue Bulk led blinks, the pv input is to low. Check the pv voltage at the mppt's pv terminals.

There is a brand new Smartsolar MPPT_100_30-50 manual read the fault finding section page 34.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

codydog avatar image codydog commented ·

The wires were wrong. I purchased 10' connectors that had 1 end as the connector to the solar panel and the other end just a stripped wire. I plugged the red wire into the only connector it would fit which I assumed was positive. When I tested the voltage, I missed that the volts were showing negative. So the red wire was actually the negative not the positive. So plugging them in they were backwards into the solar controller thus giving no power at all, hence the blinking. Tested again, confirmed this. Switched wires and now it works great! Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
motorhomer avatar image
motorhomer answered ·

I would be interested in any answers to this. I have same problem. My battery is 90% charged. With Finn sun light I get 0 solar. And 0 Amps showing on the Victron app. It's showing input voltage and battery voltage is 12v still got to do a lot more testing to see if there is a real issue. My setup at the moment is AGM battery

2 |3000