question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.65~8 available for testing

Good morning!

This post is intended for all people participating in the Venus OS Beta test program.

The detailed changes are listed below. With a bit of luck we'll still be able to release v2.65 this month, meaning next week. The main changes will then be:

• Add Remotely updating firmware of our Multis, Quattros and other VE.Bus products. More information about this is in the draft manual.
  • Complete the support of the MPPT RS, including DVCC. And no matter how its connected, ie via VE.Direct or VE.Can.
  • Added the new GX Tank 140 accessory. Note that I'm not yet sure if the shown new overview will make it into v2.65. Its quite likely that that will come a version later. Besides adding the new GX Tank 140, the tank functionality has also been improved by adding a configurable averaging filter, to dampen fluid movements and provide a stable reading. Its configurable between 1 and 60 seconds.
  • Added the new Lynx Smart BMS. There are no public details available for that product yet; next week on our website!

Earlier versions in the v2.65 beta series and their change logs:

Changelog v2.65~8:

• Add support for the new Lynx Smart BMS 500. Note that this is not entirely finished yet, but all basics work, including DVCC and using the Lynx Smart BMS as a main systems switch, ie switching it on and off from the menu.
  • Fix race condition that sometimes caused for the MultiPlus to not be available in the list of configurable Battery measurements (Settings -> System Setup -> MFD HTML5 Battery setup, which btw is also used for the VRM Dashboard!).

What to test?

Everything ;o), but more specifically things that are closely related to parts that have been changed. Which in this release is mainly the driver for all VE.Can related communication.

All the best and have a good weekend!

Matthijs

Venus OS
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark Maritz avatar image Mark Maritz commented Ā·

Successfully updated Multiplus II to 481 (using 2.65~8) on CerboGX (powered direct from battery busbar)

Can.bus connected battery.

3x MPPT's

No issues.

Regards

Mark

0 Likes 0 Ā·
neoneddy avatar image neoneddy Mark Maritz commented Ā·

That's so cool, love this.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ neoneddy commented Ā·

Yes its really nice. Also for us after seeing this as quite a difficult to accomplish project.

The vrm logs already shows 141 successful inverter/charger updates.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mark Maritz avatar image Mark Maritz mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Thanks to your whole team... sadly I don't now have to buy a cable from Victron ;)

1 Like 1 Ā·
modian avatar image modian Mark Maritz commented Ā·

The same on my Site.- no issues. Need to disconnect the DMC to make ist work

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ modian commented Ā·

good to hear; thanks! Yes, DMC is like the VE.Bus BMS. And they are the only two.

We'll be adding this text to list of warnings that need to be confirmed with YES, later today or tomorrow:

VE.Bus BMS and Digital Multi Control specifics

It is not possible to update a VE.Bus inverter, or inverter/charger in case there is also a VE.Bus BMS or Digital Multi Control (DMC) connected to the VE.Bus network.

Error 734, ā€œCannot update with DMC or VE.Bus BMS connectedā€ will be shown during the process when attempting to update such system. No settings or firmware is altered at the time, the system will remain operational.

To update such system remotely, first get someone local to temporarily unplug the RJ-45 connection on the VE.Bus BMS and/or the DMC. Note that the inverter will switch off when doing that. And that it then might be necessary to provide an alternate power supply for the GX device as it will lose power in case powered from the BMS.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
alan avatar image alan commented Ā·

Awesome, remote inverter upgrades were very much missed. Thank you for your continual improvement itā€™s one of the reasons that I love Victron gear.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
8 Answers
offgridsolutions avatar image
offgridsolutions answered Ā·

Morning @mvader (Victron Energy) ive just installed this and still have the #3 error using firmware 481 in the multi's as per posts here.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/82519/error-3-where-turned-off-with-remote-console.html?childToView=82555#answer-82555

like you said you would expect the basic turning on and off support to work with out fault.

any ideas?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Good day offgridsolutions, I'll make sure we look into it; thank you for the reminder. Do pls keep that discussion over there and not part of the v2.65 discussions. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered Ā·

Just Updated my venus unit to 265~8 and my multiplus is a Multiplus II 48/5000 on Fw473 (early H/W version )

turned off the grid tie solar

and tried the remote update from 473 to 481. all seemed to proceed and then I got the below error, then the save config file came up and I saved that as well , when opening the saved file software version is still 473

no power down occurred and as far as I can see no update of the F/W

NOTE that I do have a VE-BMS and the ESS assistant installed.

1616840068820.png

1616840068820.png (49.5 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Paul, yes that is on purpose: we can't do a firmware update in case a VE.Bus BMS is connected. Documentation and warnings before you start the update still have to be updated to include that information.

There is a workaround, which I'm 99% sure is this: ask someone local to unplug the VE.Bus BMS from the RJ-45 VE.Bus network. Note that by unplugging it, your CCGX might power down, and probably for sure your Inverter will stop inverting and throw an error message, and thus you'll have no AC from that moment onwards, until that connection is restored.

But while thats the case, and VE.Bus BMS is not in the RJ45 VE.bus network, you can do the remote fw update.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Paul B avatar image Paul B mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

I tried removing the ESS assistant and the VE-BMS unit and then I re did the remote update all though the update went through ok , the config file upload did NOT occur.

Thus the Multiplus II did upgrade to 481 and the country code was still other and the charging was set to 48 volts and NO assistants at all.

So I just readjusted the settings and reloaded the assistants and all is working fine.

I did try uploading the old config file but this did not proceed and it just hung there.

ANY way resetting up the basics is fine, even reputing in all the assistants manually is fine also. as we had to do that before anyway

However we use quite a few VE-BMS units on our lithium installs and it would be nice if we could proceed even if these are installed on the site without having to unplug them. even if we had to upload a special assistant that could allowed it to proceed through, and then we remove that after the update. or some other easy procedure.

This also goes back to not being able to turn the Multiplus/Quattros on and off remotely via the GX units as well when there is a VE-BMS in the system,

a Question how is the ne FW update going to work on Parrallel and 3 phase systems, or is it only going to work on single units. ????

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Paul B commented Ā·

Hi Paul, thanks for the report. Doing an update while the vebus bms is connected on the rj45 network is impossible. There will be no solution for that. Its unfortunate but unsolveable.

Note that its not necessary to remove any assistants before doing the update, also not a VE.Bus BMS Assistant. And doing that is also not a workaround that will help.

Parallel and three phase works fine, see the draft manual.

Settings restore should work normally. Iā€™m not sure what happened with that for you.

Iā€™ll await a bit what happens wrt that on systems without a ve.bus bms

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Paul, we tried to reproduce this problem, but sofar haven't succeeded. If you have the issue again, please try and upload the new configuration file again; just to rule out some transient issue.

And then let me know on what system, so we can login and see what happens.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
thtruck avatar image
thtruck answered Ā·

After update v265-8 i still could not update the multiplus. Did a system reset on the multiplus also already.

multiplus-not-updatable.png

12 comments
2 |3000

What GX device do you have?

Could it be that its a CCGX older than specified minimum version, which is HQ1707 or newer?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
thtruck avatar image thtruck mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

It's a ccgx. Where can i check the version of it?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ thtruck commented Ā·

the HQ1707 is part of the serial number, which is on a label on the back of the device.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Ok thanks but that i cannot check straight away and i have tot take it out of the mountingbox which is a pain to do in my case :)

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ thtruck commented Ā·

ha, I thought of another way! :).

Go into the Device list of your CCGX, then into the menu of the Multi or Quattro, then into the Device submenu, its at the bottom. And then go to the bottom of that menu. It will show whether there is a MK2 or MK3 on that CCGX. In case its an MK2, bad luck - too old.

Here is that menu (in Dutch), on a new enough CCGX:

1616844038559.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1616844038559.png (42.5 KiB)

It is indeed a mk2 version. mk2-version.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mk2-version.png (27.7 KiB)

"In case its an MK2, bad luck - too old. " Only 2 years...

0 Likes 0 Ā·

yes, I under stand its frustrating. But we can't always make all new features compatible with all already existing hardware. I hope you understand. I'm sorry.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hahaha not to worry. I can still update manually. Thanks anyway.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Upgraded to Cerbo and Touch and it is really marvelous. All devices updated via VRM. It's like a wet dream. ;)
0 Likes 0 Ā·

But another question, Why doesn't the cerbo itself show in VRM as a to be updateble device?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi @THTruck, congrats with the new equipment; good to hear its all working well.

Yes, the GX device will be listed as well over there; its in the works. Might take a while, typically we prioritise features for which there is no other already existing alternative.

Have a good Sunday, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered Ā·

Hi,

Been trying now for days to test the inverter upgrade using a Rpi 3b with Venus installed on it running ESS.

Am using a MK3:

1616848887357.png

It starts fine, like here, but stays as is for a long while:

1616848928681.png

Until it times out with error 1303, every time:

Internet connection is fine, access via the portal is fine, and I connect to the inverter from everywhere.

1616849024658.png

Or am I missing something obvious?

Regards
Jaco Reinecke

1616849024658.png (15.5 KiB)
1616848887357.png (21.3 KiB)
1616848928681.png (6.8 KiB)
7 comments
2 |3000

Hi Jaco, weā€™ll check your logs to see what the issue is, ok?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image Jaco Reinecke mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Matthijs, by all means.

ID is: b827eb585821

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Jaco Reinecke commented Ā·

Hey Jaco, issue found and solved - we installed the fix on your system.

the issue was that the mechanism didn't properly handle a system that doesn't have any products connected on VE.Direct ports.

thank you.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
neoneddy avatar image neoneddy mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy) I keep telling people , Victron Energeny is a shining example of how a company can make money in opensource. You and your team go far beyond what any other company does. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image Jaco Reinecke neoneddy commented Ā·

Amen!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image Jaco Reinecke mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Aweome!!!

As below, I saw the "fix". Thank you!

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Right, got this now for the first time ... will wait for the next firmware upgrade to test it further, as I needed the previous version ungently.

1617028540351.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1617028540351.png (18.3 KiB)
natebert avatar image
natebert answered Ā·

If you are using a PC that is also powered by the inverter system that the update is being performed on, this PC is going to loose its power. This means no browser session, so in Step 5 where we expect the new settings template to be retrieved and uploaded to the web browser, I don't think that will work as that browser (and session) will be gone.

Should a note be added explaining how to handle the situation or a maybe a warning before proceeding? Or can we re-retrieve this settings template by re-browsing back to VRM, back to Device list, back to the Firmware update page, re-download it, use Ve Configurator to reformat the template, and then reuploade?

I guess what I'm trying to say that there was nothing mentioning that if the PC that was used is powered by the system, the same PC that maybe users are normally using to update their MPPTs or other firmware updates, that if they performed this update on their inverters, that the browser session would be gone, because the PC would no longer have power, so the settings template won't be retrieved and updated.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Nate, understood. And indeed no thought was given to this situation yet. I was taking the word ā€œRemoteā€ a bit more to its exact meaning - but see the issue.

Iā€™ll see what can be done for this, a warning minimum; and perhaps just having the file for download, no matter the browser sessions, as well.

Dank, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
faza avatar image
faza answered Ā·

Hi,

ƀ new bug appears with the level of water tank (I only tested with 2.65-7/8) . I have a sensor 0-180ohm for 800 liters and the level is updated only all 3min. For example, the level stay around 25,6ohm (variable between 25.4 and 25,8) and 3 min later the level increase directly at 50ohm in few seconds.

I tried to change the new function : average time but nothing happens.

Tomorrow I will test the upgrade of my Quattro with the new feature on venus. I m very happy to discover at each new release what new function you had added. Since two year, you added a lot of new features, all device's updated, improvements, new functions are more and more integrated in the same device Venus and this new release is now able to update all my Ć©quipements directly by the venus, I want to say "thank you to improve the venus like that". I hope one day that the venus device will have an inputs for a bms active control and will able to control all devices.

Fabien

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Faza. youā€™re welcome!

Have you measured the resistance of your sender with a multimeter?

And what does the raw sensor value reading show during all this? Is that moving smoothly? That value is not being filtered.

The reason to ask a above is that some senders work in steps. Which would explain above perfectly.

Best regards,

0 Likes 0 Ā·
faza avatar image
faza answered Ā·

hi,

i succeeded to update my quattro in the version 485 with the new feature of Venus except the last step to restore my settings.

the settings file has been exported from the quattro "0cae7d546ff8_inst_ttyO5_Interfaces_Mk2_Tunnel" but when the process would like to import the settings file to the quatrro, i had this error :

capture1.png

I never tested the feature of VRM which is able to import/export settings file of quattro before thsi test.

Fabien

capture1.png (46.2 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Hi Faza (and others having this issue): which version of the VE.Bus Configuration tools are you using?

Weā€™ll be looking into this Monday morning first thing. Thank you for the reports

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Faza, we checked, and are quite sure that the problem is that you uploaded the same file as that VRM offered to you for download.

You'll need to open that file in VE.Bus System Configuration, it will convert it, then tick the cross at the upper right; and upload the resulting file. That will take care it.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered Ā·

My turn I guess, I'm seeing an unable to upgrade message as well. Looks like my MK3 is up to date. I'm on an rPi.

1617070472893.png

1617070491760.png

1617070472893.png (151.7 KiB)
1617070491760.png (78.6 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Hey Neoneddy, looks like thats because the firmware of your multi(s) is too old.

it needs to be 425 or newer for this to work.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
neoneddy avatar image neoneddy mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Ah ok, so manual upgrade it is.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources