question

mako74 avatar image
mako74 asked

Victron MPPT Calculator - how does it choose what MPPT to suggest?

Hi guys.

Could someone help me understand the rationale how the MPPT Calculator comes up with the suggestion in the attached screenshot for this array of 4x150W panels and why is it not suggesting the 100/50 (which I have already purchased)? The Max. V in min. temp. stays under 100 AND the MPPT need to limit the output current to 45A, so why not suggest the MPPT 100/50?

Also, are there 'sweet spots' in these MPPT's regarding the V's and A's coming in from the solar and what would these be for the SmartSolar 100/50?

Is there something here that I'm missing / not understanding? Could I still use the MPPT 100/50?

For what it's worth my other van conversion components include MultiPlus 12V 2000/80, Orion-Tr 12-12/30, SmartShunt and Cerbo GX. I'll be storing the energy in two 150Ah LiFePO4 batteries, with max. charge current of 100A each.

Thanks!

offgrid-100w-mppt-calculator.jpg

cerbo gxMPPT SmartSolarSmartShuntSolar Panelsmart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

Just by the rated specs, the 100|50 looks fine to 700w at 12V.

I checked the temperature variables, but that didn’t affect the recommendation.

Here’s another kink. Change the calculator to Victron module, go up to 175W panels, and it will suggest your 100|50. I can’t explain that one!

I’m pretty sure you’re ok with what you have. Maybe they build in a safety margin for “custom” panels.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.