question

lemonjelly avatar image
lemonjelly asked

MPPT 100/50 Off state: #OR1: Insufficient PV power

My system was working fine until 3 days ago the solar stopped charging the 2 x Victron 150Ah Lithium Smart Battery, I have 3 x Midsummer Energy 150W Flexible Panel.

I didn't turn the system off, although in the past I have turned the battery isolator off without diabling the MPPT via the app.

Here are the readings from the app:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I believe I need to check the voltage and current at the MPPT positive screw with a multimeter, then check the cables when removed from the MPPT? But currently I am on the road and was wondering if anyone could infer anything from the above images please? TIA.

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panelsmart solar charging behaviour
1.jpg (89.5 KiB)
2.jpg (106.6 KiB)
3.jpg (96.3 KiB)
4.jpg (79.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@lemonjelly

The vmax of your panel is too low to start charging. It needs to be at least 5v above battery voltage. See the last two pictures close to 12-13v, in the previous hovering around 70v.

So either the panel, or the connections to the panel are not good.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lemonjelly avatar image lemonjelly commented ·

Thanks Alexandra, I see 3 days ago the V max was 23.46 V, and I don't think the batteries were 100% charged then, so should it not have started charging? Would it be expected for the v Max to drop from 70 to 23 to 16 to 12 with panel/connection problems?

We've had 3 days of great sunshine and hot temperatures, similar or even better than the proceeding 4 days, so that would suggest also that it is a panel or connection problem? I can't see any issues with connections so possibly a panel has failed, although they are only around 2.5 years old.

Edit to add, I just realised you might mean connections between the cells?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ lemonjelly commented ·

If the voltage went up, then was loaded and it went under it may have just not done anything. Cant say for sure.

It is possible the panel failed internally the only way to know would be to disconnect it and test its voltage unloaded. There are a couple of you tube videos on bow to test a panel. Couple of things can fail, celll connections and diodes to name two common ones.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic