question

valden avatar image
valden asked

Firmware updates - File sizes? Time needed?

Hello wise friends.

Next week I will be standing in a new yacht on the other side of the planet, programming a Victron lithium battery system I have never seen, with software I have never used, while a boatyard full of onlookers and their hired assistants wait for my go ahead to launch the vessel. I need some answers on what to expect.

Re firmware updates

- do any of the sub-systems listed below have the potential not to work unless their firmware is updated first? I will be connecting to them with an internet capable iPhone or iPad and VictronConnect, a process that might detect firmware version anomalies.

- for any of the sub-systems listed, is it recommended to check for the latest firmware and install it if available?

- for any of the sub-systems listed, is it recommended not to update the firmware unless performance problems have been detected? I keep seeing mixed messages on this - always check for the latest firmware vs never update a system that is working.

- importantly, what are the firmware file sizes and download/installation times? Anything to be wary of? I will not have had the time or the opportunity during a pandemic lockdown to buy a local SIM card, so will be downloading via international roaming, with limited data availability, though with good 4G speeds I expect. I can't afford to be trapped by a spinning 'Updating' wheel, over and over again.

The gear list is:

12.8V 300Ah Smart Lithium Batteries

Cerbo GX

GX Touch 50 display

Smart Shunt 500

MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50

Smart BMS CL 12-100

Smart Battery Protect 220 (load protection)

Smart Battery Protect 100 (charge protection)

Smart Solar Charge Controller MPPT 100/50

Orion-Tr 12-12/30 (engine battery charging. And yep, the only device that isn't 'Smart'. Go figure.)

Thanks for your advice. :-)

cerbo gxLithium Batteryfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Valden

I'd advice to get some practice before programming such a system.

in this case: if you download and install / run VictronConnect, you've got most firmware on your laptop already.

Only the Cerbo needs firmware either through an internet connection, or a usb-stick or micro-SD-card:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/updating-gx-firmware.html#UUID-7ffbd3ab-5ed3-18dc-a5e7-2158c6a81fcd

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

valden avatar image valden commented ·

Thank you Daniël. @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

I will be using an iPhone or iPad for the programming. Will VictronConnect on these devices work the same as with a laptop? Will most of the firmware already be available on the device?

As backup I will have a USB-stick loaded with the firmware you have linked to. Thank you. Perhaps a micro-SD-card as well. :-)

FYI - I have been practicing using the VictronConnect software, with the simulation modes. Very good, these. Thank you to the people who prepare them.

I can tell you now, it is this level of easy connectivity to and programmability of the Victron equipment that was a major factor in my selecting it ahead of the competition, which I was being firmly pushed towards. I expect to enjoy the control and tuneability I will have with Victron, to the point where I don't need to do much other than observe. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ valden commented ·

Hi @Valden

for the inverter you need an MK3-USB cable and a laptop! (or android phone)

https://docs.victronenergy.com/victronconnect-vebus.html#ac-input-control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9VKtoAS8o4

0 Likes 0 ·
valden avatar image valden Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Thanks for this news. We dont own a single Android anything, so that's a non-starter. And I wasn’t planning on bringing my old MacBookPro ...

Can I manage and/or update the MultiPlus from the Cerbo GX? They’ll be connected by a VeBus UTP cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ valden commented ·

@Valden

no.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ valden commented ·

With an internet connection you can setup the Multi.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure
But you will need a Windows PC/laptop or a Mac with a VM Windows to run VE.config.
To make firmware updates you need the MK3.

0 Likes 0 ·