question

eerskie avatar image
eerskie asked

Using a Smartshunt to monitor DC current to non-Victron Inverter

Good Morning!

I have a simple off-grid system, with a SmartSolar 100/50 CC feeding LiFePO4 batteries, which are monitored by a SmartShunt.

The VRM monitoring is superb, and now even better via a Rasperry Pi, connected to the SmartSolar and SmartShunt via the USB adapter cables.

Simple question: is it possible to add an additional smartshunt to monitor the energy flow to the (non-Victron) inverter? And have this show on the VRM as energy flowing to “AC Loads”?

I assume this is possible, but would hate to buy the additional shunt and only have the data available via the Bluetooth connection. Would love to see it all integrated on the VRM/remote console.

By the way - I love how easy this system was to put together. Unbelievable - it just works!!!

Thank you in advance!

VRMSmartShuntremote consoleinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It is possible to install an additional shunt and have it show up in the devices list with its measurement values.
However, it is not possible to assign it to another role as you suggest. Battery monitors / Smartshuts only show in VRM as battery current and only one can be assigned per installation as only one battery should be present per installation.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eerskie avatar image eerskie commented ·

Thank you very much - so I can monitor the current, but it will not show in the correct ‘location’ on the VRM display?

Is there any other way to achieve what I am looking for?

0 Likes 0 ·
dakoal avatar image dakoal eerskie commented ·

I think Victron is working on it. At the latest Firmware you have a new option:

1624944380719.png

1624944400554.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1624944380719.png (162.1 KiB)
1624944400554.png (248.2 KiB)