question

cookinwitdiesel avatar image
cookinwitdiesel asked

Feature Request - GX and VRM - Ve.direct devices tracked through serial/unique identifier NOT the device ID

It seems to be pretty well documented that there are issues with ve.direct devices shuffling around device IDs in a system. This is an extreme nuisance for multiple reasons. Firstly, your device history in the GX and VRM essentially get lost. Secondly, if you have a well defined Advanced view in VRM with many widgets, these have to be redone every time the device IDs get shuffled which is a considerable pain due to the interface. While a pretty interface, it is NOT at all an enjoyable process to arrange your widgets in VRM.

I have had this happen twice now in my system in the last 3 days and it is very frustrating and really breaks your historical data used for trending and analysis.

It seems that currently, devices get tracked by their ve.direct device id (288+). This is a transient value that appears to get assigned to devices when they are connected/on power up (or if a random reshuffle occurs?) and is simple a bus communication port. Given that every device has a unique serial number (and likely other under the hood identifiers as well) why isn't data logged against that vs against the device ID which seems to change randomly without reason. This would represent a much more "stable" view into your data and allow me to trust the long term trends much more.

Thanks!

VRMVE.Directgx devicefeature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
cookinwitdiesel avatar image
cookinwitdiesel answered ·

Bumping this as my Advanced view was just completely broken AGAIN due to me updating firmware on my MPPTs and Shunts over VRM. This is a ridiculous problem and seems very amateurish. Please fix this!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

angeletor avatar image angeletor commented ·
I couldn't agree more with you, everytime you have to touch the slightest thing in your setup (firmware update, power cicling or just change the USB port) the device IDs get shuffled and the graphs gets broken... No way either to 'join' two different IDs or to fix the problem at all. Really bad design, IMHO.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi both, I just came across your question while looking at something else.

This has been fixed, and indeed as you suggested it uses the serial number of the MPPT.

@cookinwitdiesel & @AngeleToR , could you check your Venus OS version? We fixed this in version v2.65, dated April 1st 2021.

5 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I'm missing something here. My system is up to date. But still reports by product id in VRM.
0 Likes 0 ·
angeletor avatar image angeletor commented ·
Hi mvader,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked and I'm running the latest version (v2.73) right now. Maybe when the problem showed I was running the previous one, or it may even have happened just when I updated to VENUS to the latest FW... Hard to remember, and since I've had no reboots, updates or whatever in the system, right now I cannot tell if I'm having the problem yet or not. I'll update my multiplus's FW tonight and will let you know if the IDs get shuffled again or what.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ angeletor commented ·
Hi both, yes you still see an id number. Thats intended.

That number is being reserved on serial number. Since said Venus OS firmware version.

Let me know if you still see shuffles, thanks!

ps. btw its the “vrm device instance”, not the productid, thats something else.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
angeletor avatar image angeletor mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi again!!!

Firmware updated in all my 4 Multiplus with no issues, no shuffling in the connected solar regulators so it's solved. I suppose it happened to me in the last VenusOS update, when I jumped to the latest FW version, but so far so good right now!!!

Thanks!!!!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VRM login page

VRM documentation

VRM API documentation

How to change the Owner of a VRM installation

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.