question

scoraigwind avatar image
scoraigwind asked

Any special tricks for using a Mk3 on a multiplus that is linked to BYD batteries via Venus GX?

I have a Multiplus 2624 on firmware 431 connected to a Venus GX and some BYD batteries. When I want to change the input current limit I can do this using VRM>device list>download file>VEconfigure>save file etc but a few weeks ago I got an on-the-go adapter for my Mk3 interface and used VictronConnect to access the Multiplus settings really quickly and make changes using my Android phone. This was so much easier, but when I tried to do it again yesterday the Multiplus would not show up on VictronConnect nor could I connect with it using VEconfig on my laptop and eventually the Multiplus shut down because it could not see the Venus and I had to go back to the old way.

My question is what went wrong? The Mk3 works well normally. I unplugged the VEbus from the Venus GX and plugged it into the Mk3 and went looking for the multiplus but it's not there. Wondering how to make that work like it did before. Any suggestions? If you tell me to update the Multiplus firmware then I ask how, without a Mk3 connection?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Hugh

VictronConnectVenus GX - VGXBYDMK3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
scoraigwind avatar image
scoraigwind answered ·

OK the answer is actually quite simple. Make sure you are using a Mk3, and not the old MK2 that you keep around for no good reason.

The Mk3 works beautifully. I love VictronConnect! The Mk2 not so much. Do not use the Mk2 by mistake.

Now to find out how to delete a question...

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ commented ·

Don't bother to delete it, having an answer that mk3 should be used for Victron Connect is useful (idem for Venus devices btw).

0 Likes 0 ·

Good catch!

Do keep the MK2....maybe the MK3 cannot be found some day and the MK2 can save the day with VE.Config ;)

But... on the input current limit...why not set 'overruled by remote' in the Multi's settings so you can set the input current limit with the GX device?

0 Likes 0 ·
scoraigwind avatar image
scoraigwind answered ·

Yes that was another amazing thing I discovered while playing around yesterday. For the first time I could change the input current limit directly in VRM. As you point out this does require the "overruled by remote" setting to be on. It gets better and better.

Using VictronConnect is much easier than VEconfig and you can even update firmware. I have done this on a new installation but I won't do it on my own inverter while it is working nicely unless I see a good reason to. I always feel there is a chance that it will never talk to me again...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Victron BYD battery compatibility guide