question

motley avatar image
motley asked

HOW DO I CONNECT EASYSOLAR TO WIFI?

I have managed to connect the MPPT to VictronConnect Via BlueTooth on my Samsung Galaxy S7. But how do I connect the system via wifi? I can not see any settings to connect to my wifi. there are no changeable settings on the 2x 16 character display.
I would like to register my system on the VRM so that I can monitor/control via wifi.

VRMEasySolar All-in-Onewifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Motley

What model Easy do you have? This one? https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-EasySolar-II-48-3000-35-32-MPPT-250-70-GX-EN.pdf

It;s not supposed to have bt, but that's not to say a Smart mppt hasn't found it's way in there, and it may well be standard issue now.

Can you perhaps 'borrow' the necessary kit to set it up via cabled ethernet and register it to VRM? That may be easier, and the switch to wifi should be a doddle once you've achieved that.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

motley avatar image motley commented ·

Thanks @JohnC

That is the correct model EasySolar II 48/3000 250/70.

I'm fully off grid with only mobile internet so i have been using my phone as a wifi hotspot.

I looked at grabbing a Ve.direct ->usb cable

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-to-usb-interface

But wasn't sure if that would help to get to the settings?

Alternatively I could connect to my laptop via the ethernet cable but again, I'm doubtful that would be helpful.

So without the physical colourcontrol or similar, is there a way to change the settings via computer?

Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ motley commented ·

What you want is Ethernet or Wifi access from the Easy GX to the web, hey? So forget bt or VEdirect cables, that's local stuff.

It becomes a 'networking' issue, not a Victron one. There's some info here (1.6) https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start

If your phone is a true wifi hotspot, then it should be able to find your GX wifi. I'm unfamiliar.

If your lappy has web access, try a cable and 'share' its weblink with the GX. Ask if you need help with that.

I'm rusty re what you need first (the cart or the horse) to access VRM. Nor can I test it, cos my own system defaults to home. Maybe this: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/register

0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

We too have the same issue. Stand alone but the 24v version. We also just use our phones as hotspots for internet.

Have only installed the easysolar a few days ago but would like to see details on my phone. Even though the phone sees the controller, its unable to connect.

Have downloade th app so am still trying to make sense of it

How doe sit work via wifi hotspot?

Does the controller find my phone then I use the unit screen to manuever? I'm assuming this is way as the unit doesn't have a SIM?

Or do I need an extra gadget to plug in the back.

If I get a modem would need separate SIM.

2 |3000

lklmenterprises avatar image
lklmenterprises answered ·

Not Sure if Motley got this figured already - but for anyone else...

Assuming you have the EasySolar II GX - which has the Builtin Venus GX ? in which case you still need to provide it with an Internet Connection, it supports connecting via Ethernet or WiFi (ethernet preferred.)

You should be able to hotspot from your phone, however this is going to be clunky to work with and does not allow the Victron to communicate with the VRM portal permanently and constantly send operational data, only when you have the hotspot available.

To configure the WiFi details, you actually connect to the VenusGX access point using the VE Connect App. then once in there you can set the WiFi details of your Hotspot - But straight away you will probably see the problem - Most phones will not allow you to enable WiFi at the same time as enabling the Hotspot. The problem here is that you are using Wifi to connect to the GX device, but when you configure the WiFi in the settings of VeConnect you will not see the Hotspot!

The way around this is either provide the GX with an Ethernet Connection, a dedicated Wifi network to connect to, or get a portable 3G router for the unit, etc.

This link here shows how to set some of these settings up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYV_JEcaMU

The other trick of course could be that if you intend to always use a Particular phone as the Hotspot, just set it up as a hotspot, then use a 2nd phone, tablet or Laptop to connect to the GX's Built-In WiFi Access point and do the configuration.

2 |3000