question

mfortinberry avatar image
mfortinberry asked

Will EasySolar 48/5000 run as inverter and charger at the same time?

Specifically, when plugged into 60hz US shore power, I would like the system to only charge the batteries and not feed the AC power for the boat. I would like the AC to continue to be provided by the inverter, which generates 50hz (220v) power. Is this configurable/adjustable? It would operate as a charger for the large house bank at the same time it is an inverter to feed the AC side of the vessel.

Phoenix InverterEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

No that's not possible. It is either a charger (with the bypass relay closed), or it is an inverter at the rated Voltage and frequency (with the bypass relay open).
You see, the power can only flow in one direction at a time with the circuitry performing either a rectifier function or an inverter function.
Unfortunately, the only way to overcome your problem is to have a separate charger and an inverter.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mfortinberry avatar image mfortinberry commented ·

Thanks for getting me that answer -

Interesting idea maybe - there are thousands of threads of thousands of sailors who struggle with managing the different AC power frequencies when traveling globally.

If you could develop an inverter/charger that would manage both (via a switch?) it would be a game changer for the industry. We only face it when plugged in, but when we do that it is a real problem. Probably sell a lot of these...

Thanks again - back to the drawing board for now

0 Likes 0 ·
josmeijer avatar image josmeijer mfortinberry commented ·

For struggling sailors:

I had, to get enough power from the genset, change our board net frequency from 50 to 60hz when we started with diesel electric propulsion "de groene spits".

We found out all ( but one) of the appliances on board worked great on 60hz. Switching power supplies don't give a damn anyway (as they rectify the AC before processing it) but also our induction cooker, magnetron etc. gave no issues.

(On the other hand, running old 60hz equipment on 50hz can be "killing")

Most modern appliances are designed to work on 50/60hz anyway.

So I see no real need for the 240/60hz to 240/50hz DC-DC converter you describe.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ josmeijer commented ·
@josmeijer

There is the assumption that in the US 120v is used. So in that case a conversion from 120v to 240v would be needed.

The frequency is not too much of an issue as the Victron can be programmed for wide frequency but not the two different voltage systems.

0 Likes 0 ·